All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Hopefully if they are, they get some good players. And hopefully they don't get caught. And hopefully we win more than we've won lately.

Those things can all be true.

And at the same time ........ what is he supposed to say??? "Yeah you know, Kerwin and I pretty much already have wrapped up the decision, for some time. We're still talking to all the schools, but it's mainly window dressing. We pretty much decided over a month ago. That school simply asked us to delay our formal announcement of the 'final decision'."

Right.

Those things can all be true.

And at the same time ........ what is he supposed to say??? "Yeah you know, Kerwin and I pretty much already have wrapped up the decision, for some time. We're still talking to all the schools, but it's mainly window dressing. We pretty much decided over a month ago. That school simply asked us to delay our formal announcement of the 'final decision'."

Right.

Or he wants to go to UNC/Arizona but the whole covid situation is making him nervous about leaving home, a state that happens to be handling the situation better than any other state in the country. Maybe he's been hoping some medical news will make him more comfortable with leaving the state, and the longer he waits, the more likely that news will come.

Or he wants to go to UNC/Arizona but the whole covid situation is making him nervous about leaving home, a state that happens to be handling the situation better than any other state in the country. Maybe he's been hoping some medical news will make him more comfortable with leaving the state, and the longer he waits, the more likely that news will come.
Perhaps.

Regardless, not a single thing will change between tonight and Saturday. Not a single thing.

Of course at this point, any announcement today and probably tomorrow would get drowned out by the NFL draft. Don't want to have your richly deserved moment in the sun stolen away from you.

Perhaps.

Regardless, not a single thing will change between tonight and Saturday. Not a single thing.

Of course at this point, any announcement today and probably tomorrow would get drowned out by the NFL draft. Don't want to have your richly deserved moment in the sun stolen away from you.

Once he finally announces his decision, I hope it puts an end to your sleepless nights of pointless anger and frustration. You must be exhausted. :)

Once he finally announces his decision, I hope it puts an end to your sleepless nights of pointless anger and frustration. You must be exhausted. :)
Amazing how much energy has been expelled on these blathering arguments

I'm just assuming someone is still fuming based on his own invented conspiratorial scenario. It's exhausting for me to hear from people who are so narrow-minded that they are incapable understanding that not every human thinks/analyzes everything the same way they do. To rage away on a message board about it for days on end makes it seem like an unhealthy obsession. Even if it is an extreme rarity that someone decides this late and even if it is extremely unlikely that he hasn't decided yet, it is still a possibility. Pull your narrow-minded, self-centered skull out of whichever hole in which it resides and breathe some fresh air. Rant over. Sorry.

Are u that gullible ?? Of course there talking to players on other teams. Just think once they allow 1 time transfers. Who will teams come after? U think we will be able to keep Carr? Inhen?
What the f*ck are you smoking? When has there been any indication that Ihnen or Carr would even consider transferring? This is literally Carr's team, he didn't come off the floor last year.

I see no evidence that he can
I like to model after those that actually built something that won. When i started a family Law practice i watched those that had succeeded wildly and learned from them. I was raised to believe that being mediocre is not acceptable. I have used other examples of coaches that built winners and there is reams of data that support a common thread. But of course not everyone can teach it. Only a few do it at a high level, that is why they are elite. If everyone could do it then it would not be elite. We were all raised to not be blinded by some bias or fan loyalty or geography. When the teams i grew up with were terrible or poorly coached (mostly the same thing) we could admit it and talk about it. Later on that allowed me to make decisions clear minded. Just a different way of looking at things. Each person can decide for themselves what they think great is, who is funny, who is smart, what the best schools are, who their friends are. Sports are beautiful that way, follow who you like, for whatever reason you want. At the end of it all we can measure who built what, what did they win. I do not resort to name calling or putdowns.I can read something that i disagree with 100% but respect that the opinion belongs to someone who likes or dislikes his program for whatever reason.

A true Gopher fan will strongly prefer that Minnesota kids stay home. If a local kid turns down the opportunity to play for the home team in the Big Ten then so be it. The so called Gopher fans who support players leaving rather than tolerate such decisions are likely no more than lukewarm Gopher fans. To say playing at Duke or Gonzaga makes an otherwise G league talent into a NBA player is nonsense. That's kind of like like saying Few or K would turn North Dakota into a NCAA powerhouse if they coached there.....A lot of people fall for hype. Generic canned corn is the same product as Green Giant yet people pay more for the brand /buy the hype. If a local kid decides to buy the hype no big deal just shake the dust off and move on.

A true Gopher fan will strongly prefer that Minnesota kids stay home. If a local kid turns down the opportunity to play for the home team in the Big Ten then so be it. The so called Gopher fans who support players leaving rather than tolerate such decisions are likely no more than lukewarm Gopher fans. To say playing at Duke or Gonzaga makes an otherwise G league talent into a NBA player is nonsense. That's kind of like like saying Few or K would turn North Dakota into a NCAA powerhouse if they coached there.....A lot of people fall for hype. Generic canned corn is the same product as Green Giant yet people pay more for the brand /buy the hype. If a local kid decides to buy the hype no big deal just shake the dust off and move on.
Love the fan card judge ! There are many really bright basketball minds that actually think that some coaches develop players better than others. It is not hype. Players and families think so too. I am a basketball fan way before i am a fan of a school or several schools. There is not a agency that decides who is a real or better fan. I cheer like crazy for the Gophers to win, yes even standing ! I also love watching young people chase their dreams on their terms not on the biased view of homer fans. It is not hype that there are far better programs and far better coaches, those are facts.

Love the fan card judge ! There are many really bright basketball minds that actually think that some coaches develop players better than others. It is not hype. Players and families think so too. I am a basketball fan way before i am a fan of a school or several schools. There is not a agency that decides who is a real or better fan. I cheer like crazy for the Gophers to win, yes even standing ! I also love watching young people chase their dreams on their terms not on the biased view of homer fans. It is not hype that there are far better programs and far better coaches, those are facts.
Better recruiters, absolutely yes. Better coaches? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are great coaches at all levels of the game (including high school), but not all coaches of winning D1 programs are necessarily great coaches. The winners are mostly great salesmen who can convince great players to choose their team. Some of those are really just average coaches. The more rare situation is the great coach who can’t get the great players to sign up yet still wins through superior coaching.

I remember Devean George Augsburg player 1st round NBA draft choice 1999. Funny thing is that the Program, the coach , or the school had no magical formula to to turn D3 recruits into NBA players....IT was Devean who made himself great...not the school, not the coach, not the program. I remember the old days where kids went right to the NBA from high school no Duke, UNC, Kansas, coach K or whatever hype you subscribe to needed

Last edited:

Like I said luke warm gopher fan. Not a homer just a guy who enjoys NCAA hoops and by virtue of the fact that he lives in Minnesota would prefer Goph do well. Nothing wrong with that.... .

Like I said luke warm gopher fan. Not a homer just a guy who enjoys NCAA hoops and by virtue of the fact that he lives in Minnesota would prefer Goph do well. Nothing wrong with that.... .
Nothing wrong with that at all.

I remember Devean George Augsburg player 1st round NBA draft choice 1999. Funny thing is that the Program, the coach , or the school had no magical formula to to turn D3 recruits into NBA players....IT was Devean who made himself great...not the school, not the coach, not the program. I remember the old days where kids went right to the NBA from high school no Duke, UNC, Kansas, coach K or whatever hype you subscribe to needed
The best coaches are not getting the kinds of players that Duke,UNC, Kentucky get but they are beating those teams ! Recruits often do buy the hype but the notion that coaching does not matter all that much is a falacy. There are guys at every level who are simply gifted, better at it by a mile over others.

I am going to play devils advocate here, what is the objective when developing players, get them in or at least recognized by the NBA, being a good college player or?

You are a big Gard fan, he has developed players in a way that they are good college players but not so much recognized by the NBA. Other than Happ there haven't been any that have gotten a sniff by the NBA and I doubt any on the current roster will. Pitino has had a couple, who is better developing players, if your objective is the NBA I would argue that Pitino is, if your objective is developing good college team players then Gard is way ahead. If I am a hot college prospect with NBA aspiration's who would I look at.

No i am not but have thought about with my grandsons and others bothering me to do it. Will let you know. Thanks for all the great content and insight you bring to the board.
Don’t do it, it’s toxic. But, if you do, I also would like to know!

I am going to play devils advocate here, what is the objective when developing players, get them in or at least recognized by the NBA, being a good college player or?

You are a big Gard fan, he has developed players in a way that they are good college players but not so much recognized by the NBA. Other than Happ there haven't been any that have gotten a sniff by the NBA and I doubt any on the current roster will. Pitino has had a couple, who is better developing players, if your objective is the NBA I would argue that Pitino is, if your objective is developing good college team players then Gard is way ahead. If I am a hot college prospect with NBA aspiration's who would I look at.
You would look at everything and then decide. Gard is hired to win games, win conference titles, get guys as good as they can be and to do clean. It is not just UW we are going against on guys who are potentially NBA guys. There are several guys doing everything Gard is at even a higher and getting guys to the NBA that were never even projected to get to the NBA.

No i am not but have thought about with my grandsons and others bothering me to do it. Will let you know. Thanks for all the great content and insight you bring to the board.
You of all people should have one considering how much basketball you follow. It's pretty useful for streamlining recruiting/basketball updates.

You of all people should have one considering how much basketball you follow. It's pretty useful for streamlining recruiting/basketball updates.
I would but i would still rather fish and play golf ! Several posters on here would be a far better follow than i would be.

Reactions: sal

So has pitino pulled his offer on kiel? If wants walton bad enough, he might have done so since he has shots at other backup plans like lopez and peterson.

Just talking out loud here

So has pitino pulled his offer on kiel? If wants walton bad enough, he might have done so since he has shots at other backup plans like lopez and peterson.

Just talking out loud here
I think (hope?) we’ll know more by 5pm.

Top Bottom