All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

per Shama:

Drew Peterson, a potential basketball transfer to the Gophers, told the Houston Chronicle website last week he wasn’t going to leave Rice until two teammates made the decision to pursue other schools. The 6-8 Libertyville, Illinois native can play guard and forward. As a sophomore last season, he led the Owls in both rebounding average per game at 6.5 and in assists at 3.5. He was third in scoring at 11.1.

Go Gophers!!

I'm very intrigued by Drew Peterson. Tall, good length, can shoot, can handle the ball a little bit (turnovers seem a trifle high, though), can provide some lineup flexibility.

If Walton heads elsewhere, I like this guy as Door #2.

Any news on what the gophers are doing with the second walk on spot? I am assuming there are no more coaches son's to give it to at this point lol and am curious if they are just going to leave that open for a 2nd straight yr

I'm very intrigued by Drew Peterson. Tall, good length, can shoot, can handle the ball a little bit (turnovers seem a trifle high, though), can provide some lineup flexibility.

If Walton heads elsewhere, I like this guy as Door #2.
I would take brandon johnson over him, if possible.

Fwiw, espn just put up a transfer ranking. Lists Johnson as #14 on the grad transfer list and Peterson as #29 on the sit out list.
Markusson 34th on grad transfer list.

Interesting question: better to get a higher rated grad transfer or lower rated sit a year guy? In general, not specifically Johnson v. Peterson for the Gophers.

Fwiw, espn just put up a transfer ranking. Lists Johnson as #14 on the grad transfer list and Peterson as #29 on the sit out list.

Plus Liam was number 3 only behind Landers and Carton as highest rank sit out transfers.

Interesting question: better to get a higher rated grad transfer or lower rated sit a year guy? In general, not specifically Johnson v. Peterson for the Gophers.
I like Johnson more in this specific situation. Really depends on the depth of your team don't you think? If you don't have the depth or you could use that player, I'm taking the grad transfer. I might still take the GT even if the younger, lower-rated kid is immediately eligible.

This particular decision really gets down to whether or not Liam would be eligible next year. If he isn't eligible, then we are still in the same place we were at the end of the year -- needing a center. If he is eligible, it is a different decision.

I just saw on Twitter that Johnson committed.
This looks like it could be another fake commit. Nothing from Marcus, RJ or national guys like Goodman or Borzello who have usually been the ones breaking these

Cincinatti news sites are commenting that they lost out on Johnson to Minnesota. They may be using the same source. Real or not. Come on somebody legit just post this so we can confirm.

Decision day was supposed to be Saturday. This makes me wonder if Pitino knows something about Walton.

This means Walton is not coming.

Prove me wrong.

Only way you can do it is if you believe someone else is leaving, right? Carr? Greenlee? Other?

We're good without Walton. This just became a good-very good roster with an immediately eligible Robbins.

Walton coming in and somebody leaving is just a bonus. That said, a very big bonus.

We're good without Walton. This just became a good-very good roster with an immediately eligible Robbins.

Walton coming in and somebody leaving is just a bonus. That said, a very big bonus.

Nah, I'd still really want Walton. Don't think people realize how good he is.

I still think Pitino could clear a space if he really needed to. But we've done about as well as we can without knowing what Walton's gonna do.

I have to believe we have one ready for him. We would make room. This actually may help even more to get him. We have the makings of a really solid team that could go somewhere next year!! Boom!!

per Daniels:

Western Michigan transfer Brandon Johnson just verbally committed to Minnesota, he tells 247Sports.

"I picked Minnesota because I think it's the best opportunity for me especially with them being in the Big Ten conference," Johnson said. "I think it's the best way to accomplish my dreams after this year."

Johnson, a 6-foot-8 versatile forward, reeled in a wide range of high major interest, but ultimately picked the Golden Gophers over Cincinnati and Dayton.

Go Gophers!!

One of my favorite things on this board: Poster X "I know Walton (fill in star recruit we are not getting) is coming here I have a feeling from things I read!" Walton/Fill in player doesnt commit and all of a sudden "pshh hes not that good anyway we didnt need him" People like to call out negative people on here, where are the people who were SURE we were getting Walton!

That said, Johnson looks like a decent contributor. Nothing crazy but a guy we could plug in for 10-15 min and not get totally destroyed like we have had in recent years.

Has this program taken a step in the right direction this offseason? Absolutely. But this is still a team that needs all the talent (and shooting) it can get, and likely still a piece away from being really solid team even if Robbins is eligible. Adding Kerwin is still important for this program, and Pitino is likely carving out an "avenue" to make this possible if he wants in later this month.

per Daniels:

Western Michigan transfer Brandon Johnson just verbally committed to Minnesota, he tells 247Sports.

"I picked Minnesota because I think it's the best opportunity for me especially with them being in the Big Ten conference," Johnson said. "I think it's the best way to accomplish my dreams after this year."

Johnson, a 6-foot-8 versatile forward, reeled in a wide range of high major interest, but ultimately picked the Golden Gophers over Cincinnati and Dayton.

Go Gophers!!

It looks like Pitino is getting recognition for getting guys noticed by the NBA, gotta believe that this is the reason Johnson liked the Gophers.

Top Bottom