All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

He'd be a take but my gut feeling is Pitino knows Gophers will finish runner up to Bama and is operating as such.

Btw tho, I LOVE how Miles projects for the college game. Tall lefty guard with superb ball-handling skills and fluid shot motion. Carved out a very nice role on an extremely loaded IMG team and think he's way under-ranked.
What is interesting there is that 247 didn't even have us listed on his radar and all of the sudden we pop up in his final 3. So somebody has been doing some work.

What is interesting there is that 247 didn't even have us listed on his radar and all of the sudden we pop up in his final 3. So somebody has been doing some work.

Who knows maybe the worm is turning.

Love lefties and I think we're overdue for a good one - been a few minutes.

Drew Peterson is very intriguing to me. 6'8" 185lb guy, can shoot the 3 okay (made 44 at 33% clip), 83% FT shooter, led his team in rebounds (6.5) and assists (3.5), half a block per game. Sounds very well rounded and like a player we don't have on our roster right now. I would like a guard with more length.

He did turn the ball over at a high rate (2.7/game) but that probably reflects his high usage.

Drew Peterson is very intriguing to me. 6'8" 185lb guy, can shoot the 3 okay (made 44 at 33% clip), 83% FT shooter, led his team in rebounds (6.5) and assists (3.5), half a block per game. Sounds very well rounded and like a player we don't have on our roster right now. I would like a guard with more length.

He did turn the ball over at a high rate (2.7/game) but that probably reflects his high usage.
A wing guy with secondary playmaking and versatility is sorely needed on this team.

per Bossi:

On Sunday, Minnesota emerged as one of the big winners of the 2020 transfer cycle when Drake 7-footer announced that he was transferring to play for Richard Pitino and the Gophers.

A native of Davenport, Iowa, who was lightly recruited after prepping at Bel Aire (Kans.) Sunrise Christian, I did not see Robbins play in high school. However, I've had the chance to watch him develop at Drake where he averaged more than 14 points, seven rebounds and just under three blocks per game as a sophomore.

I am interested to see how well Robbins translates athletically to the Big Ten, but he's big, takes up space, has excellent timing as a shot blocker and good touch on the offensive end, out to about 15 feet, meaning he could extend into a pick-and-pop guy.

You never can quite be sure what you will get when a guy transfers up a level, but Robbins has improved drastically over the past few years and if he continues that trend he could go a long way toward plugging the hole that is left by Gophers' sophomore big man Daniel Oturu's departure to the NBA.

Go Gophers!!

Where are you guys seeing we mad the top 3?

He really likes that way of speaking. Basically, you win the conference or you're terrible.
Never said that but certainly finishing worse than 4th out of 14th is simply not very good. Quit making up lies, i spelled it out for you. On the other hand if finishing 7th, which is higher than our 7 year average is a good season for you fine. You define it for you, i am not mocking you for whatever you pick for good, great, elite, average or whatever category you want.

Never said that but certainly finishing worse than 4th out of 14th is simply not very good. Quit making up lies, i spelled it out for you. On the other hand if finishing 7th, which is higher than our 7 year average is a good season for you fine. You define it for you, i am not mocking you for whatever you pick for good, great, elite, average or whatever category you want.
The Big Ten is an elite conference and the coaching jobs in it are just not historically equal. Coaching at Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland and even Wisconsin now carries a tremendous advantage due to the history over the past 20 - 30 years. To make a blanket statement that finishing lower than 4th is a poor job is just not accurate. It is like telling a poor kid who went to St Cloud State and a rich kid that goes to Harvard, that making less than $350k per year is not very successful. For the Harvard kid, you would be exactly right.

The Big Ten is an elite conference and the coaching jobs in it are just not historically equal. Coaching at Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland and even Wisconsin now carries a tremendous advantage due to the history over the past 20 - 30 years. To make a blanket statement that finishing lower than 4th is a poor job is just not accurate. It is like telling a poor kid who went to St Cloud State and a rich kid that goes to Harvard, that making less than $350k per year is not very successful. For the Harvard kid, you would be exactly right.
The goal is UW who hired great coaches and became better than some of the programs you listed by doing worse than 4th once in 20 years.

The goal is UW who hired great coaches and became better than some of the programs you listed by doing worse than 4th once in 20 years.
Yeah that's fine, we all get that and all the great things that happened in Badgerville 20 some years back. For the present it just is different for each program and your response doesn't really address my post at all.

Built, listen to yourself once...

You started by saying we had a defense that was 10-11 in the conference and fryguy22 politely pointed out that we had finished 7th. You said that 7 wasn't average out of 14 teams and Urbandale politely pointed out that it is by mathematical definition. Then you go off on your rant about how they all want to accept a mediocre team.

Nobody said that finishing 7th is a goal or that it is acceptable. We all expect better.

You started by saying we had a defense that was 10-11 in the conference and fryguy22 politely pointed out that we had finished 7th. You said that 7 wasn't average out of 14 teams and Urbandale politely pointed out that it is by mathematical definition. Then you go off on your rant about how they all want to accept a mediocre team.

Nobody said that finishing 7th is a goal or that it is acceptable. We all expect better.

I honestly don't know how people aren't over his shtick. It's literally the same five talking points over and over and over. Sure, once in awhile offers some "inside" insight or educated speculation, but 90% of what he posts is a slightly different iteration of the same boring sound bite. ????

10th or 11th in the conference counting all games, all games count. I aknowledged that he pointed out 7th in the conference games. We all do expect better and until that happens we will not be contending for conference titles.

I honestly don't know how people aren't over his shtick. It's literally the same five talking points over and over and over. Sure, once in awhile offers some "inside" insight or educated speculation, but 90% of what he posts is a slightly different iteration of the same boring sound bite. ????
Put me on ignore, you will save yourself 90% of what you find boring about my posts. Ignore is a great feature.

Notice Built's response in the threads on Robbins. Nothing that I saw to the effect of "nice get" for Pitino. No happiness from him. He did offer some skepticism that anyone offered Robbins before, a couple of posts later at least complimenting Robbins for improving. Built just does not at all seem like a Gopher fan to me, the reactions are just not normal. He may want the Gophers to win (not sure) but agenda trumps that for some reason.

Notice Built's response in the threads on Robbins. Nothing that I saw to the effect of "nice get" for Pitino. No happiness from him. He did offer some skepticism that anyone offered Robbins before, a couple of posts later at least complimenting Robbins for improving. Built just does not at all seem like a Gopher fan to me, the reactions are just not normal. He may want the Gophers to win (not sure) but agenda trumps that for some reason.
Given the circumstances i am glad he is here. Always skeptical going up in class for any transfer. Do i honestly have to post in a way that i get that normal fan card approval. Normal is a description i do not desire. Come up with that device that measures how much a fan wants a team to win, measures their disappointment in losing. I have never stayed down for more than a minute after a loss from a game i did not even play in. Do we have to suffer the most to keep a fan card acceptance level ? I have always looked at things with a critical way of thought, simply the way i was raised and educated. We were taught to question, form a in depth study on science and the behaviors and feeling of people. My three sisters and my brother were taught that it would be part of the roadmap to however we defined success. I do not feel the need to mock others or put them down when they have another opinion. I will ponder the opinion for change or addition to my own experience or move on.

Put me on ignore, you will save yourself 90% of what you find boring about my posts. Ignore is a great feature.

Yeah, I could put you on ignore, but that seems like the easy way out. For such a well-educated person, how about you just come up with some different, more creative material? That seems healthier for everyone

Given the circumstances i am glad he is here. Always skeptical going up in class for any transfer. Do i honestly have to post in a way that i get that normal fan card approval. Normal is a description i do not desire. Come up with that device that measures how much a fan wants a team to win, measures their disappointment in losing. I have never stayed down for more than a minute after a loss from a game i did not even play in. Do we have to suffer the most to keep a fan card acceptance level ? I have always looked at things with a critical way of thought, simply the way i was raised and educated. We were taught to question, form a in depth study on science and the behaviors and feeling of people. My three sisters and my brother were taught that it would be part of the roadmap to however we defined success. I do not feel the need to mock others or put them down when they have another opinion. I will ponder the opinion for change or addition to my own experience or move on.
I am not mocking you, I just am trying to understand what your motivation is. I actually agree with your life philosophy, a lot. I think you are probably a great person. For some reason you have it in for the coach here and at times I get tired of it, just as you might be tired of my posts. That doesn't mean that I disagree with all of your information. The starting point for me, when I see very little support from you is your moniker here. I would never come on an opponent's site with the moniker builtgophers and hope to be thought of as a Badger fan.

Yeah, I could put you on ignore, but that seems like the easy way out. For such a well-educated person, how about you just come up with some different, more creative material? That seems healthier for everyone
Your decision. Sometimes the easy way can be helpful. If you find posts on this board interesting or thought provoking or just enjoy a keyboard argument perhaps keeping me on is worth it. I am only human so i suppose i get bogged down by the back and forth banter between fans on the topics that we find hot button. I would enjoy the finer points of defense or proper screens or even speculation on recruits.

I am not mocking you, I just am trying to understand what your motivation is. I actually agree with your life philosophy, a lot. I think you are probably a great person. For some reason you have it in for the coach here and at times I get tired of it, just as you might be tired of my posts. That doesn't mean that I disagree with all of your information. The starting point for me, when I see very little support from you is your moniker here. I would never come on an opponent's site with the moniker builtgophers and hope to be thought of as a Badger fan.
Perhaps if you knew that backstory of that nickname it may help. I was given that nickname by a very dear and successful coaching friend. He said it to me in front of my young at the time grandchildren. They in turn never let it go and gave it to me for my handle on this site when they signed me up on here to see if i would enjoy the fan exchange as i went deeper into my retirement. Of course, i never really retired. Names are just names.

Top Bottom