All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

I will take Freeman over Jones. Jones plays for DENVER, who we would have beaten by 30. How many minutes per game would he have played behind Oturu? Not many.
My point is more that Jones was ranked slightly higher than Freeman and he's from Minnesota. We would've easily been his best offer I get that, but so what? Look at Roddy at CSU. Give me Jones. Doesn't matter if we beat Denver by 30. These are individual players. I know there's some infatuation over Freeman making 7 of 10 free throws for the year or whatever but I'm not ready to say he's coming in to make an impact, though we really could use him. Jones last game he scored 21 and 7 boards in a 2 point loss to NDSU in quarterfinals. NDSU dominated that league and conference tournament. Either way it's not about this past year. When the recruiting was going on in 2018 for these prospects, I'm pursuing Jones over Freeman and I don't see why you wouldn't. Higher ranked, from MN. I get there's culture fit, but we're lying if saying Pitino has any culture or potential player profile fit ideas.

Last edited:

It is unfortunate that the staff backed off Steven Crowl. He was offered, tried to accept, but the coaches wanted to see if they could get Garcia first. If the coaches could go back in a time machine, I'm sure they would have preferred Steven in Gopher uniform vs. trying to get a 1 yr. transfer.
It just seems like Pitino has no real plan. No ideal player profile to fit the team. It's a free-for-all and we end up falling behind and then settling.

It just seems like Pitino has no real plan. No ideal player profile to fit the team. It's a free-for-all and we end up falling behind and then settling.

I do agree, but I am starting to see one now. I think the additions of Jeter and Linsted help with this. Hope it doesn't fall off with Jeter gone. The only true consistent thing I've seen is a combo PG who requires ball screens and is ball dominant (Dre M., Mason, and Carr). Since Jeter and Linsted, I've seen them go after more length on the perimeter with guys who are defenders first (Greenlee, Tre Williams, even Mashburn and Mitchell to an extent)

Wichita State transfer Morris Udeze’s final 5:

Arizona State, Butler, Xavier, Minnesota and Seton Hall. -- @GoodmanHoops
via http://cbssportsapp.com

Seems like he has a big ten body and game. I think we'd be able to use him. We will be very perimeter dominated offensively. Having a grinder big will be helpful in many ways.

Someone writes a thoughtful post and you write that. You are the guy that would just pay the players to get them.
Morality lecture from a Trump bobo.

Spare me.

It is unfortunate that the staff backed off Steven Crowl. He was offered, tried to accept, but the coaches wanted to see if they could get Garcia first. If the coaches could go back in a time machine, I'm sure they would have preferred Steven in Gopher uniform vs. trying to get a 1 yr. transfer.

This is craziness. Of course you take Crowl and if you get Garcia too then u have your bigs in great shape for the future and simply skip a low rated PG who wasn't expected to contribute much as a FR and may not ever

This is craziness. Of course you take Crowl and if you get Garcia too then u have your bigs in great shape for the future and simply skip a low rated PG who wasn't expected to contribute much as a FR and may not ever
I'm not big on Crowl as a fit here with his game. He's in the right spot for him. We seem to prefer a big who is willing to post more. He's ok with ball screens from what I saw too, but he's really only a pop guy on them. He's better with off ball screens and more movement offensively.

I'm not big on Crowl as a fit here with his game. He's in the right spot for him. We seem to prefer a big who is willing to post more. He's ok with ball screens from what I saw too, but he's really only a pop guy on them. He's better with off ball screens and more movement offensively.

Fair enough. Then why even offer him in the first place and have him as part of the process?

Also you would rather have Greenjeans instead of him?

Fair enough. Then why even offer him in the first place and have him as part of the process?

Also you would rather have Greenjeans instead of him?

Different position so not a fair comp. Would I rather have Freeman? Depending on how the rest of the roster is built yes.

I should also add that our offense isn't my favorite. I understand it and see why he does it. I like more movement and passing. If that's your system, Crowl is a better bit if he can defend. That's a pretty big IF and you'll see if he figures it out at Wisconsin or he'll transfer cause he will not play

FWIW, the Gophers had a virtual visit with Udeze earlier this week and had one with Peterson from Rice today. One thing that should be in the Gophers favor is that both Butler and Arizona State have told Udeze they'd like him to redshirt while Minnesota wants him to play right away. Xavier got a commitment in the last week or so from a similarly sized kid to Udeze who put up big numbers in division 2.

I do agree, but I am starting to see one now. I think the additions of Jeter and Linsted help with this. Hope it doesn't fall off with Jeter gone. The only true consistent thing I've seen is a combo PG who requires ball screens and is ball dominant (Dre M., Mason, and Carr). Since Jeter and Linsted, I've seen them go after more length on the perimeter with guys who are defenders first (Greenlee, Tre Williams, even Mashburn and Mitchell to an extent)
I thought i would see it last year but we were 10th or 11th in defense in the conference. That is unacceptable if your building a winner.

FWIW, the Gophers had a virtual visit with Udeze earlier this week and had one with Peterson from Rice today. One thing that should be in the Gophers favor is that both Butler and Arizona State have told Udeze they'd like him to redshirt while Minnesota wants him to play right away. Xavier got a commitment in the last week or so from a similarly sized kid to Udeze who put up big numbers in division 2.
Imagine making use of the redshirt !

Not a lot of players want to redshirt. It's not as easy as it once was.
Exactly. Plus, these days if you have a good player it is tough to hold them for 4 years let alone 5. You could red shirt a kid and by the time they get good they grad transfer on you to a competitor. Also, when you red shirt then you sort of obligate that scholly to the kid for 5 years instead of 4 and it is even worse if he doesn't develop as expected.

I would rather have Mitchell over Crowl 100 times out of 100. I've watch Crowl play a dozen times and I've never been impressed. He dirt slow with a below average touch, no burst, quickness or fast twitch. He will be a 5 point 3 boad guy as a junior/senior. Mitchell has upside I think.

Not a lot of players want to redshirt. It's not as easy as it once was.
Even in football, I feel like more of the top end guys come to fall camp expecting a legit chance to be a starter or significant contributor.

Imagine making use of the redshirt !
In effect, Pitino has used quite a few "red shirts" by taking transfers that have to sit a year. It is a more creative way of thinking about it, but taking an early transfer gives you a player that has shown the ability to play at the college level (skips the HS to college transition risk) and forces the player to sit a year learn the system. The downside is that you lose a year or two of eligibility.

I generally get worried about not landing any of these guys (mostly because i just cant get Greenlee, Diedhou, Konate out of my head as reaches we are forced to take), but man waiting this out might not be the end of the world. There are just crazy amounts of guys transferring every single day or a guy like Patrick Tape who commits to Duke and then like 5 days later backs out. I don't think Pitino has done this on purpose but maybe we luck out as the "last man standing" with a spot and PT open and could land someone otherwise we may not have been able to.

Exactly. Plus, these days if you have a good player it is tough to hold them for 4 years let alone 5. You could red shirt a kid and by the time they get good they grad transfer on you to a competitor. Also, when you red shirt then you sort of obligate that scholly to the kid for 5 years instead of 4 and it is even worse if he doesn't develop as expected.
Look at the guys UW redshirted from the start, look at the guys UVA redshirted even when it cost them short term. They do it by targeting guys that believe in them and spell out that they would be spending a year in the 5-7 minutes of playing time but if they agree to the redshirt ( it is never forced) then that year long focus on skill, strength, academics and learning the packline will result in large dividends.

Top Bottom