All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

It says all things 2020 recruiting and certainly how other conference teams recruit affects how the Gophers recruit. Mods can decide, your not the board police. Some fans follow college basketball with a wide lens, some only one team all the time.

You know damn well it's about Gophers recruiting. That has been the case every year. There literally is not one other poster who comes in these threads to post totally random shit about recruits the Gophers were never even looking at
Oh, I don't know maybe yet another B1G school landing a higher ranked recruit than the Gophers? Maybe Rutgers (RUTGERS) keeping a top 50 kid home is relevant considering the Gophers failed to keep a bunch of kids in this class home? Seems pretty relevant to the discussion.

Not paying attention to notes like this is how we get uninformed posters who act like Pitino losing Coffey was a valid excuse for the terrible performance this year or that the Gophers are somehow bringing in talent in the 2020 class that will move them up the ladder.

No, its not relevant to Gophers recruiting - unless you have an agenda and are trying to continue to push negativity. I don't see people in here posting every commit that another Big Ten school gets. That has not ever been the point of these threads. Nice try though.

I don't mind updates from other B1G schools being put on here. The majority of it stays Gopher related, but it's important for us to watch how other teams are developing their rosters and we still continue to add to ours.
At least it's about recruiting! The martice mitchell thread is about Wisconsin recruiting white guys!

Who was the last juco to make a big difference for Gophers? Paul Carter?

I don't mind updates from other B1G schools being put on here. The majority of it stays Gopher related, but it's important for us to watch how other teams are developing their rosters and we still continue to add to ours.
It is not appropriate to post crap to just take a dig at our program. I can not understand the mentality of "fans" that go out of their way to spin every titbit of news into some negative light for the Gophers. I know there are trolls that just want to get a reaction, but true fans need to support the program and not look for ways to just attack. I understand that there is differences in opinions on the way things are being done, but just being negative to be negative is not productive.

It is not appropriate to post crap to just take a dig at our program. I can not understand the mentality of "fans" that go out of their way to spin every titbit of news into some negative light for the Gophers. I know there are trolls that just want to get a reaction, but true fans need to support the program and not look for ways to just attack. I understand that there is differences in opinions on the way things are being done, but just being negative to be negative is not productive.
Posting that it was a big get for Rutgers is not taking a dig at out the Gophers. Really good recruit for a conference rival. I actually care about the recruits our competitors get.

Julian Welch maybe. If only he could make FT's. Edit: and yes Dre for at least one year.

Welch did not like free throws.

And yes, agreed on Dre for only one season. He was trash for the other.

I tend to agree with your conclusions, but your presentation is devolving into mere campaigning as you present data points without their full context. Of course you know from reading the articles on the Rutgers local recruit focused heavily on his decision being influenced by the pandemic. His father said it directly, that he was concerned about being far away from home if another outbreak occurs and that was significant in his decision to stay close to home.

Arguments can be more effective when both sides of the issue and as many of the relevant facts as possible are presented and acknowledged. We can all acknowledge the failure of local recruiting. It's easy, but knowing why it is failing would be helpful, even if some might think it irrelevant in a measurable results only evaluation.

Mocking Rutgers probably not a good idea either. They have been miserable for a long time and have been on a slow climb up for several years. A lot went their way, most of it hard work and vision and some luck.

I appreciate the response. I would say that I am not mocking Rutgers as "we" (as Gopher fans) are not in the position to mock anyone. I stated last year that I felt like both Illinois and Rutgers would pass Minnesota in the standings this season and that is exactly what happened. Over the last 5 years, we are tied for 11th in B1G wins and below teams like Iowa and Penn State. We keep falling further and further from an acceptable standard. I emphasized these teams because there is a small minority of vocal posters who act like I/we are expecting to be Duke. Our peers right now are the very bottom of the conference.

Your point on Cliff O staying home partly because of the pandemic is valid, but I am not one who has ever discounted the players that have stayed home to play for Pitino when there were rumors it wasn't because of him (Coffey/Oturu). If Pitino lands DJ Carton as a transfer because he wants to be closer to home (just an example), I won't discount the get because of the circumstances.

Transfer Drew Peterson is already receiving major interest

One of the top talents from the mid-major level on the traditional transfer market is Drew Peterson. Peterson decided to enter into the transfer portal on Tuesday afternoon. At around 6-foot-8 and 185 pounds, Peterson is a unique talent who can play all over the perimeter and has a track record of success.

With a diverse skillset, Peterson averaged 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game as a sophomore at Rice. He shot 41 percent from the floor and 82 percent from the foul line.

Upon entering the transfer portal, things picked up in a big way for Peterson, and he found his phone very busy.

“I have been talking to my AAU coach and my parents for a few days, so I expected it to be a busy day and it has been that,” explained Peterson. “I have been on the phone non-stop since noon. It has been a busy, busy day.”

When asked who has reached out, Peterson said, “I’ve talked to Virginia Tech, Stanford, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Creighton, Tulane, UCSB and San Diego.”

Peterson went on, “The head coaches that I’ve talked to are (Richard) Pitino at Minnesota and (Joe) Pasterneck at UCSB.”

Go Gophers!!

Julian Welch maybe. If only he could make FT's. Edit: and yes Dre for at least one year.

Julian Welch was god awful. Dude played defense like he was stuck in the mud. He also took about a year and a half to get a jump shot off. Vincent Grier is one of the better transfers I can think of.

Here's to hoping this year's transfer is Morris Udeze. NCAA coaches have it tough this year, with the dead period now until May 31, most of these kids will pick colleges without ever having seen the campus other than a virtual tour on an iPhone.

Julian Welch was god awful. Dude played defense like he was stuck in the mud. He also took about a year and a half to get a jump shot off. Vincent Grier is one of the better transfers I can think of.

Here's to hoping this year's transfer is Morris Udeze. NCAA coaches have it tough this year, with the dead period now until May 31, most of these kids will pick colleges without ever having seen the campus other than a virtual tour on an iPhone.
Carlos Morris was a JUCO, too. I was surprised to see that his first season looks like he was actually quite effective. It must be the stink of his second season and getting kicked off the team that colors my memory. If we could have somebody transfer in and provide those kinds of stats I would be elated.

SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS SOS
2014-15MinnesotaBig Ten332525.64.08.9.4523.16.2.4901.02.7.3642.12.9.7260.72.53.22.11.80.22.11.811.17.21
2015-16MinnesotaBig Ten241625.53.69.2.3892.56.3.4071.03.0.3521.62.4.6840.53.03.51.40.80.31.81.39.86.86

I need a reason to believe Morris Udeze is gonna make a significant impact on the Gophs. If we do land him, I'll be looking forward to seeing him play for sure. But looking at his time at Wichita, nothing special. Maybe due to coaching and not playing him enough, but also wasn't a highly recruited kid relatively.

Carlos Morris was a JUCO, too. I was surprised to see that his first season looks like he was actually quite effective. It must be the stink of his second season and getting kicked off the team that colors my memory. If we could have somebody transfer in and provide those kinds of stats I would be elated.

SeasonSchoolConfGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSSOS
2014-15MinnesotaBig Ten332525.64.08.9.4523.16.2.4901.02.7.3642.12.9.7260.72.53.22.11.80.22.11.811.17.21
2015-16MinnesotaBig Ten241625.53.69.2.3892.56.3.4071.03.0.3521.62.4.6840.53.03.51.40.80.31.81.39.86.86

You can't cage a squirrel - they go nutz!

devron Bostick?
Should have but didn't. Tubby broke him and never was able to put the pieces back together. He had some great talent. He was a total rock star in summer league the year he arrived.

so what's the deal with Hadley? Seems like a pretty good player, is he just not a high major athlete?

High major athlete but small. Two guard body with almost more of a power forward game. Scored a lot around the basket. Not great from three. Plays bigger. The offers he is getting are in line with his game. iMO

I agree with Hadley, just not a strong enough shot or perimeter skills to justify high major or even really good mid major offers

2019 State of MN Recruits

2020 State of MN Recruits

Brutal.

Last edited:

That is terrifying to look at, yeshhh. I guess if you want to feel better, Ohio's top kids are going to Bama/Pitt/Bama. I guess the one positive is that we are really pumping out talent in this state, one day we will have a coach that will be able to do something about it.

Brutal.

There's always 2021...
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-B...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MN

Brutal.

Especially for the 2019 class but who should’ve they gotten? How many of those kids chose a worse program that we offered? I count Roddy and that’s it so far.
Also of those who would you take over Ihenen, Williams, Mashburn, or a Mitchell

Top Bottom