All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

I personally think not, but I'd like to know more about him, including how his KSU situation fell through. And the question with his shooting is whether it can improve with work.
He is just as good as Willis in my opinion. More athletic and better at getting to the rim. Our wings aren’t athletic at all. We need players who can create offense other than Carr

He is just as good as Willis in my opinion. More athletic and better at getting to the rim. Our wings aren’t athletic at all. We need players who can create offense other than Carr
After the non-conference schedule Willis was really only efficient in a few Big Ten games- notably against Northwestern and Wisconsin opponents which rely a little less on athleticism. Willis is smart and knows how to play the game but he is challenged by Big Ten wings. I would love him as a 6th or 7th man on a good team.

Koroma was a guy we were looking at last Fall. I like our chances with another German on board!!
Not a bad idea to tap into the European pipeline that has vaulted the Zags into national prominence.

The argument is that he left OSU this year as he was struggling a bit emotionally. Hes from Iowa (but honestly not that close to the cities) so closer to home and maybe the spotlight is a little less bright than at OSU. And who knows, with kids it's all about comfort level, maybe he just didn't feel great at OSU and would at another place

The argument is that he left OSU this year as he was struggling a bit emotionally. Hes from Iowa (but honestly not that close to the cities) so closer to home and maybe the spotlight is a little less bright than at OSU. And who knows, with kids it's all about comfort level, maybe he just didn't feel great at OSU and would at another place

Change of scenery could help him. Interesting when he made his announcement that he said he had been dealing with it for some time (I believe years) and was now actively taking care of his mental health issues.

Thanks.

Bettendorf is basically Davenport, about halfway between Chicago and Des Moines. He's significantly closer to Iowa. Also closer to Iowa St, Missouri, Illinois, NW, and Wisc.

And we have Carr.

Yeah I know, I'm a wet blanket. Sorry

Thanks.

Bettendorf is basically Davenport, about halfway between Chicago and Des Moines. He's significantly closer to Iowa. Also closer to Iowa St, Missouri, Illinois, NW, and Wisc.

And we have Carr.

Yeah I know, I'm a wet blanket. Sorry
I saw something yesterday that said Iowa isn't likely and Iowa St. hasn't contacted him yet (I'm sure that will change). Hoiberg reached out to him. Go figure. It mentioned Creighton or UNI might end up being the spot for him.

Ah yeah, I didn't even look west of Iowa. Haha, I forget that part of the country even exists. For sure Omaha is closer, maybe Lincoln too.

Ah yeah, I didn't even look west of Iowa. Haha, I forget that part of the country even exists. For sure Omaha is closer, maybe Lincoln too.

Bettendorf is in the SE corner of Iowa. It's a 4.5 hour drive to Omaha, 5.25 hrs to Lincoln, and 5.5 hrs to Minneapolis. I can't imagine that big of a driving distance would be a major factor between those.

It is only 2.75 hours to Champaign, though, 2.25 hrs to UNI, and 3hrs to Ames, 1 hr to Iowa City. If he truly needs family as a support system I could see him going to one of those schools.

6'8" 240lbs, sounds like a prototypical load down low for the B1G. I wonder if he can jump like Mbawkwe! We couldn't be that lucky.

Doesn't seem promising if we are offering guys who averaged 4 points per game in a Mid major league.... Hopefully I'm missing something and this guy can play.

The American isn't a mid-major league. If everything perceived as less than the Big 10 this season is what people consider mid-major, then every league is mid-major.

That doesn't make the rest of your point moot though. Getting a guy who averaged 4.3 points per game and hoping he's the answer is going to leave a lot of people disappointed. I'm guessing he can be a solid piece, but this pickup would not be striking gold in recruiting.

The American isn't a mid-major league. If everything perceived as less than the Big 10 this season is what people consider mid-major, then every league is mid-major.

That doesn't make the rest of your point moot though. Getting a guy who averaged 4.3 points per game and hoping he's the answer is going to leave a lot of people disappointed. I'm guessing he can be a solid piece, but this pickup would not be striking gold in recruiting.

Tulsa, who is ranked #78 in the NET, went 13-5 in the AAC and got 2nd place. If they aren't mid major, then I guess they're low major?

Do you actually think the American is a low-major league? I guess I've never seen the American considered a mid-major by people who cover the sport. It's probably the weakest depth wise of the power conferences so its either the best of the lousiest (mid-major) or lousiest of the best (power conference) - at this point talking about it is a waste of time because it's not the point of the thread.

This is the type of thing that railroads threads so I'm not gonna talk more about it.

My point was ultimately the same on the Wichita transfers. If they aren't productive there, they've got a shot to be productive here, but they shouldn't be viewed as major pickups.

If a kid plays at Wichita/Cincinnati/Houston/Memphis though - they can play here.

per Marcus:

With Daniel Oturu likely heading to the NBA and other frontcourt issues to resolve, the Gophers coaching staff has been combing the transfer market for big men.

College basketball teams with post player needs can’t wait too long. It’s like toilet paper rolls in these hard times. You need to snatch them up before they’re gone.

Coach Richard Pitino has to prepare as if he could lose his starting frontcourt from this season, including Oturu, a sophomore All-America, and departing senior forward Alihan Demir, a former graduate transfer from Drexel.

“We are currently looking to add the right piece or pieces this spring,” Pitino wrote in his blog earlier this week. “Obviously, we have to explore all options as Daniel’s situation evolves.”

Go Gophers!!

What does this have to do with Gophers recruiting - which this thread is expressly for?
It says all things 2020 recruiting and certainly how other conference teams recruit affects how the Gophers recruit. Mods can decide, your not the board police. Some fans follow college basketball with a wide lens, some only one team all the time.

It says all things 2020 recruiting and certainly how other conference teams recruit affects how the Gophers recruit. Mods can decide, your not the board police. Some fans follow college basketball with a wide lens, some only one team all the time.
Fraud.

What does this have to do with Gophers recruiting - which this thread is expressly for?
Oh, I don't know maybe yet another B1G school landing a higher ranked recruit than the Gophers? Maybe Rutgers (RUTGERS) keeping a top 50 kid home is relevant considering the Gophers failed to keep a bunch of kids in this class home? Seems pretty relevant to the discussion.

Not paying attention to notes like this is how we get uninformed posters who act like Pitino losing Coffey was a valid excuse for the terrible performance this year or that the Gophers are somehow bringing in talent in the 2020 class that will move them up the ladder.

Oh, I don't know maybe yet another B1G school landing a higher ranked recruit than the Gophers? Maybe Rutgers (RUTGERS) keeping a top 50 kid home is relevant considering the Gophers failed to keep a bunch of kids in this class home? Seems pretty relevant to the discussion.

Not paying attention to notes like this is how we get uninformed posters who act like Pitino losing Coffey was a valid excuse for the terrible performance this year or that the Gophers are somehow bringing in talent in the 2020 class that will move them up the ladder.

I tend to agree with your conclusions, but your presentation is devolving into mere campaigning as you present data points without their full context. Of course you know from reading the articles on the Rutgers local recruit focused heavily on his decision being influenced by the pandemic. His father said it directly, that he was concerned about being far away from home if another outbreak occurs and that was significant in his decision to stay close to home.

Arguments can be more effective when both sides of the issue and as many of the relevant facts as possible are presented and acknowledged. We can all acknowledge the failure of local recruiting. It's easy, but knowing why it is failing would be helpful, even if some might think it irrelevant in a measurable results only evaluation.

Mocking Rutgers probably not a good idea either. They have been miserable for a long time and have been on a slow climb up for several years. A lot went their way, most of it hard work and vision and some luck.

Doesnt sound like great news

Not concerned. bga tells me Pitino will get him, and team with Freeman and some vague, unnamed grad transfer to lead the Gophs to the final four next year.

Top Bottom