All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

If he is truly a top 100 player then size will not matter and will be a very exciting commitment.

He is truly a really good player and how tall he is never bothers me as no one defends with the top of the head. It is about reach and length. As for willingness to defend, when you see a kid that gets low and wide then not only are they using elite technique but it is very tough to do continuiously and that says a lot about him.

Height is a bigger deal on offense. If you're short, the defender can more easily get his hand in your face when shooting. The release point will also be lower.

I haven’t watched any highlights of mashburn JR, but just from reading on here you guys got me envisioning Lawrence Westbrook

Height is a bigger deal on offense. If you're short, the defender can more easily get his hand in your face when shooting. The release point will also be lower.

Truly height is pretty irrelevant period. Length is something coaches look at a lot more when evaluating. Height and length is a defensive liability on ball screens and pick and pops as so many teams are switching. Lack of post play development/value has also negated some of the height and length mattering on defense as well. Offensively coaches don’t care about height or length really at all. More so worried about balanced skills

Truly height is pretty irrelevant period. Length is something coaches look at a lot more when evaluating. Height and length is a defensive liability on ball screens and pick and pops as so many teams are switching. Lack of post play development/value has also negated some of the height and length mattering on defense as well. Offensively coaches don’t care about height or length really at all. More so worried about balanced skills

I think you should have stopped after your first Sentence or two.

Call me crazy, but do we take a guy that can play the 4/5 this class if we get Garcia?

Hoping we get Mashburn for the 1/2, and Garcia who could hopefully play the 3/4/5 depending on who he is tasked with guarding, and what do we do with the other? I'm more inclined to want a big for roster construction purposes, but conversely if we could get an outstanding player like Walton, do we just take the best player we can get? In theory we should have Curry or Oturu back after this year if not both and we have a large number of guards, but I am also not convinced they are the greatest in the world (I do like Kalscheur and Carr, I just think its too early to make a determination on others).

What does everyone think?

Call me crazy, but do we take a guy that can play the 4/5 this class if we get Garcia?

Hoping we get Mashburn for the 1/2, and Garcia who could hopefully play the 3/4/5 depending on who he is tasked with guarding, and what do we do with the other? I'm more inclined to want a big for roster construction purposes, but conversely if we could get an outstanding player like Walton, do we just take the best player we can get? In theory we should have Curry or Oturu back after this year if not both and we have a large number of guards, but I am also not convinced they are the greatest in the world (I do like Kalscheur and Carr, I just think its too early to make a determination on others).

I would love to get a talented big man. Oturu going in the draft is not out of the question.

Also, Curry's injury profile means we cant count on him. So next year, we could only have Freeman as a big if we dont land one in recruiting.

A tough sell for Pitino is how deep we are at PG and wing positions. Kids want immediate playing time, and i dont blame them. That's why its so important to land Garcia. He automatically starts at the 4 next year. Its also a good recruiting pitch to Sibley if Garcia falls through

Recruiting Berry, Mashburn, Walton, etc. is a tougher sell because of all the guys already on the roster

Demir and Hurt are the only seniors on the team, correct? We need at least one big this class. Garcia would be ideal and would start at the 4 next year.

You also need some depth at wing and guard. Curry will be back next year, plus Freeman and probably Oturu unless he blows up this winter.

Starting to feel a bit like in zero dark thirty when chastain writes the number of days on Kyle chandler’s office window
I thinks it’s been just over 100 days since greenlee committed. Cmon coach, get em

I laughed at this, good post! ha

On Mash Jr, im not going to pretend I've watched the kid or whatever, but personally I am almost always in on kids of former NBA stars. The physical ability is obviously there to some point and just being around the game at a high level can only help you as a kid. Now, you can argue RSIII wasn't a star, but at the end of the day he contributed for 4 years, we could have done worse.

I laughed at this, good post! ha

On Mash Jr, im not going to pretend I've watched the kid or whatever, but personally I am almost always in on kids of former NBA stars. The physical ability is obviously there to some point and just being around the game at a high level can only help you as a kid. Now, you can argue RSIII wasn't a star, but at the end of the day he contributed for 4 years, we could have done worse.

Not to side track, but RSIII's problem was how good he looked as a freshman. He raised our expectations of him ten fold. I would take another RSIII as long as the new one rebounded well

If they can lock up Garcia and Mashburn, then I think they could still take Muscadin or Berry if Walton won't come and fill any gap in the spring when a 4th opens up. However, I'd bet that Garcia gets us Walton too.

I would love to get a talented big man. Oturu going in the draft is not out of the question.

Also, Curry's injury profile means we cant count on him. So next year, we could only have Freeman as a big if we dont land one in recruiting.

A tough sell for Pitino is how deep we are at PG and wing positions. Kids want immediate playing time, and i dont blame them. That's why its so important to land Garcia. He automatically starts at the 4 next year. Its also a good recruiting pitch to Sibley if Garcia falls through

Recruiting Berry, Mashburn, Walton, etc. is a tougher sell because of all the guys already on the roster

Good post. I agree that it is a tough sell for the minutes at the 2, but I'm also fairly confident that they would be able to carve out playing time as I do think they have more ability than others on the roster.

I think we can either count on Curry being here playing or leaving, so I do think that we will either have a scholly open to take someone in the spring or we will be able to count on him for some minutes.

Is there anyone here who truly believes that Suggs, Walton, and Garcia aren't all gone? Gone, out of the state?

Mashburn is the interesting one. He suffers from no such affliction to "get out of Minnesota".

Is there anyone here who truly believes that Suggs, Walton, and Garcia aren't all gone? Gone, out of the state?

Mashburn is the interesting one. He suffers from no such affliction to "get out of Minnesota".

I don't believe that they are all gone. Suggs is gone. I think the odds are decent that we get at least one of the other two.

I don't believe that they are all gone. Suggs is gone. I think the odds are decent that we get at least one of the other two.

Walton - has grown up in the Cities. Has offers to Arizona, North Carolina, Kansas. Has taken an official to Arizona.
Garcia - has grown up in the Cities. Has offers the same schools and others.

The only thing possible, and I'm sure it has been discussed on here already, is the impending NCAA violations.

Chances we get a commit from those 3:

Suggs: 0%
Garcia: 25%
Walton: 50%

Fingers crossed!

Walton - has grown up in the Cities. Has offers to Arizona, North Carolina, Kansas. Has taken an official to Arizona.
Garcia - has grown up in the Cities. Has offers the same schools and others.

The only thing possible, and I'm sure it has been discussed on here already, is the impending NCAA violations.

Lol you have no clue how they feel about the University/team/coaches, good supporting points though

It’s entirely possible given the chance at 18 years old that not having to deal with Minnesota winter sounds attractive.

It’s entirely possible given the chance at 18 years old that not having to deal with Minnesota winter sounds attractive.

Where did anyone say it didn't? Getting really sick of people get on the board to just say "they are too good, they aren't coming here, its too cold," and plenty of other generalizations that lazy people like to throw out.

I don't. I won't surprised if we go 0-3, but I like our chances

Where did anyone say it didn't? Getting really sick of people get on the board to just say "they are too good, they aren't coming here, its too cold," and plenty of other generalizations that lazy people like to throw out.

It's not just the cold.

It's like being from any small town, and yearning to try out the big city. Minnesota is a small state, kinda in the middle of the country. This country is so big and so diverse, geographically, culturally, etc. When you've only lived in Minnesota, there is just a desire to get out of this place, try somewhere else for a while, and then perhaps come back home to raise a family.

It's not just the cold.

It's like being from any small town, and yearning to try out the big city. Minnesota is a small state, kinda in the middle of the country. This country is so big and so diverse, geographically, culturally, etc. When you've only lived in Minnesota, there is just a desire to get out of this place, try somewhere else for a while, and then perhaps come back home to raise a family.

For some people, yes. Not for everyone. Some people take pride in where they grew up and want to represent their home state. Everyone has different preferences and priorities, so it's stupid to generalize things and say that the only possible way we have a chance with good players is if sanctions from the NCAA help us.

For some people, yes. Not for everyone. Some people take pride in where they grew up and want to represent their home state. Everyone has different preferences and priorities, so it's stupid to generalize things and say that the only possible way we have a chance with good players is if sanctions from the NCAA help us.

Not talking about just any good player, period. I'm talking about good players who grew up in this state, and have offers to major bball programs in different parts of the country.

I think you can agree those are two different things.

Even then, yes it's not a 0% chance. It's more than zero, and yes it depends on the person.

Not talking about just any good player, period. I'm talking about good players who grew up in this state, and have offers to major bball programs in different parts of the country.

I think you can agree those are two different things.

Even then, yes it's not a 0% chance. It's more than zero, and yes it depends on the person.

That doesn't change what I said at all. Saying our only possible chance with any local kid, regardless of offers, is if NCAA sanctions help us is, is incorrect.

Last edited:

That doesn't change what I said at all.

You worded your statement poorly. "it's stupid to generalize things and say that the only possible way we have a chance with good players "

I wasn't talking about good players in general, as your statement says. So your statement, as worded, is not correct.

You worded your statement poorly. "it's stupid to generalize things and say that the only possible way we have a chance with good players "

I wasn't talking about good players in general, as your statement says. So your statement, as worded, is not correct.

I'm saying that even if we're talking strictly about players with big time offers, my point still applies.

I'm saying that even if we're talking strictly about players with big time offers, my point still applies.

I'm talking about two specific players who grew up in the Cities and have a list of big time offers out of the state, plus another who is known going to Gonzaga.

Top Bottom