All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

If we could get the kids we want and had only Minnesota kids, we would have a pretty good team right now:

PG: Jones/Wright/Davidson
SG: Kalesheur/Sacar
SF: Hurt/Hurt/Sacar
PF: Hurt/Reuvers/Omersa
C: Oturu/John

You'd have 40% of Duke's starting lineup! Suggs Garcia and Walton would be coming in next year. Couple of lucky breaks and you could win it all.

The hockey team used to do this under Woog. Only Minnesotans! But the U had the clout to close the borders and St.Cloud, Mankato and Bemidgi weren't Division 1 yet. Plus Woog never won the whole thing and his successor did as soon as he added a couple of out of state/country kids.
Sacar ,Davidson were not priorities for Gophers and unfortunately we took Jelly over Wright. Comparing Minnesota high school basketball with the 80s and 90s is a different world in numbers of players compared to now. And recruiting and blue bloods not staying home in most states is the norm now. One blue blood recruit with the crazy number coming out of here every two, three years would be all fans should hope for. So far Pitino hasn’t reached where recruiting needs to be. Garcia with Walton and Carlson would be a tremendous class. Doubt Carlson is realistic maybe the other two are?

per Marcus:

Officials for local 2020 targets

Carlson recently narrowed his list to six schools, which includes the Gophers. But his official visits will be with Xavier this weekend, Wisconsin from Sept. 7-8, Purdue from Sept. 14-15 and Stanford from Sept. 27-28.

Crowl’s official visits include Wisconsin from Sept. 6-8, Colorado from Sept. 13-15 and Iowa from Sept. 28-29.

Madsen will visit Cincinnati this weekend, Marquette from Sept. 6-8 and Northwestern from Sept. 20-22.

Minnehaha Academy five-star guard Jalen Suggs, who already visited Gonzaga for an official, has mentioned Florida and Iowa State as possible visits, but he has nothing else scheduled yet. Suggs said at football practice last week he is expecting to make a decision on a school "sooner than later."

Walton and Garcia haven’t scheduled official visits, but Garcia will narrow down his list early next month.

http://www.startribune.com/big-recr...phers-football-opener/558598472/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

-Guards
Suggs
Mashburn
Berry
Mason Madsen?
obviously you can never have too many ball handles. So if we can get 1 of the top 3 guys here I would be super pumped! but big picture if we do miss on a ball handler we will still have Carr (JR.) Willis (SR.) Greenlee (SO) still on the roster for next year so I wouldn't hit the panic button if we do miss on all these guys.

-Wings
Walton
Madsen
We need to get 1 of these 2 guys! with Gabe, Williams, Ihnen, Willis we do have other options but adding a high end player like either of these 2 would give us a lot of fire power on offense!

-PF
Garcia
Carlson
Murrel
I would say at this point this is the most important position and should be the priority. I would be estatic with any of these guys as they can all come in and play right away.

-Center
Muscadin
Mitchell
Crowl
This will be interesting. Oturu could very well take the jump to the NBA after this year and if he does we clearly would have a big hole at Center. If he stays after this year then I don't think center is really a need.

Best case.....
give me any 1 of the guards. Either Walton or Madsen. and either of the PF's and we would have a home run class. That would give us 3 which at this point is what we have room for. But with the revolving door in college basketball we could very well have 1 more so who knows.

big week here for the Gophers and recruits. Hopefully we can make a huge impression on them all

Sacar ,Davidson were not priorities for Gophers and unfortunately we took Jelly over Wright. Comparing Minnesota high school basketball with the 80s and 90s is a different world in numbers of players compared to now. And recruiting and blue bloods not staying home in most states is the norm now. One blue blood recruit with the crazy number coming out of here every two, three years would be all fans should hope for. So far Pitino hasn’t reached where recruiting needs to be. Garcia with Walton and Carlson would be a tremendous class. Doubt Carlson is realistic maybe the other two are?

Washington committed before Wright there is a big difference. Garcia will at least most likely give us a visit. Want Walton maybe more than any one else in the 2020 class. 3-4 year stud who defends and shoots it at a high percentage

Washington committed before Wright there is a big difference. Garcia will at least most likely give us a visit. Want Walton maybe more than any one else in the 2020 class. 3-4 year stud who defends and shoots it at a high percentage

Agreed, shooting can mask a lot of roster holes and can carry a recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never liked Washington as a high school player but i do not blame the staff for not getting Wright. He was a tough eval for the grind of this conference. Everyone misses on recruits. Agree with manderson on wanting Walton as a 4 year player who will defend. I have no idea where the staff is with Garcia other than working that hard but no clue what he is thinking. Carlson is a player really coming on but who i see as a extreme long shot.

Never liked Washington as a high school player but i do not blame the staff for not getting Wright. He was a tough eval for the grind of this conference. Everyone misses on recruits. Agree with manderson on wanting Walton as a 4 year player who will defend. I have no idea where the staff is with Garcia other than working that hard but no clue what he is thinking. Carlson is a player really coming on but who i see as a extreme long shot.

Agree on Carlson to being a long shot, but I think it has been impressive how this staff even got back into contention for him. Wright had a commitable offer before Washington committed even though there were major questions on whether he'd be eligible. I also agree that I don't know how much his game translates to the B10. He is a high usage guy on a bad Pac 12 team. Better than Washington? Sure, but better than Carr or Willis? Not ready to jump or agree on that. He's not the one who got away in my opinion.

Gophers did not make the final seven for Bryce Thompson -- offered last summer.

Gophers did not make the final seven for Bryce Thompson -- offered last summer.

No problem, i really like the early offers because that is by far the best chance to grab a kid like that. Every once in awhile they fall in love and no one takes that spot over you. All the while the staff knew where they stood and spent that time elsewhere. This staff has worked very hard on this class.

Gabe Madsen committed to Cincinnati. If it’s really just a matter of Cincy was willing to use a scholarship on his brother and we weren’t, and Gabe was set on going to school with Mason, then I’m okay with it, especially if we get Walton or some other good guards, which seems doable.

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabe-Madsen-46037739/

Gabe Madsen committed to Cincinnati. If it’s really just a matter of Cincy was willing to use a scholarship on his brother and we weren’t, and Gabe was set on going to school with Mason, then I’m okay with it, especially if we get Walton or some other good guards, which seems doable.

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabe-Madsen-46037739/
Did Mason commit too?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yup, both of them.
I respect that, and I respect Pitino for not offering a guy he didn't want, though I think Mason can really shoot it. Clearly makes Walton the biggest priority of the non bigs

I respect that, and I respect Pitino for not offering a guy he didn't want, though I think Mason can really shoot it. Clearly makes Walton the biggest priority of the non bigs

I agree a million percent except it's not the NBA....we can't just up our offer to Walton or any of these guys. I have not seen the Madsens play...but if Mason is a top 200 guy and they both shoot 3's and they'll come if you offer...I'd take the sure thing. It certainly appears, idk, that all our targets are maybes at the best. Take the Madsen brothers and find another scholarship this spring.

I agree a million percent except it's not the NBA....we can't just up our offer to Walton or any of these guys. I have not seen the Madsens play...but if Mason is a top 200 guy and they both shoot 3's and they'll come if you offer...I'd take the sure thing. It certainly appears, idk, that all our targets are maybes at the best. Take the Madsen brothers and find another scholarship this spring.

If he took the Madsens then that probably would have closed the door on Berry and Walton. Maybe Pitino feels he can get them, or Mashburn and Walton.

If he took the Madsens then that probably would have closed the door on Berry and Walton. Maybe Pitino feels he can get them, or Mashburn and Walton.

There was just no way to gamble that much space on two Madsen's. Every move carries risk and this one i fully support.

There was just no way to gamble that much space on two Madsen's. Every move carries risk and this one i fully support.

I agree for the most part. I have zero insight how likely we are to land these other guys. It just feels like they are all long shots. Love to be wrong.
My only concern is that we recruit at least one shooter...I’d like three shooters with different assets in addition to their ability to shoot. That’s where my angst is coming from.
For example Berry liked his visit but feels no urgency to grab the offer with a lot of other Gophers offers out there to close him out. He’s not worried. Kids often know what others are doing.

I’m guessing the coaches “think” they are close on 4 or 5 of the remaining guys.

And again I haven’t seen the Madsen’s play...just top 200 and shooters is all I know about them.

The info I got from someone with knowledge on the 2020 class, the most likely, but only in state 2020 recruit that might go to Minnesota is Walton. And Walton is a maybe to the U. Unfortunately, this class could be devoid of Minnesota kids at a time when Minnesota kids would make the U a really good team.

It seems to me like the staff is being stung by having a very strong in-state class, putting tons of attention on them, and potentially not getting any of them. Now they’re possibly left trying to scrape together a class last minute of lower ranked guys. If all of the MN kids move on, I hope we’re able to land some of the other guys we’re after.

The info I got from someone with knowledge on the 2020 class, the most likely, but only in state 2020 recruit that might go to Minnesota is Walton. And Walton is a maybe to the U. Unfortunately, this class could be devoid of Minnesota kids at a time when Minnesota kids would make the U a really good team.

It seems to me like the staff is being stung by having a very strong in-state class, putting tons of attention on them, and potentially not getting any of them. Now they’re possibly left trying to scrape together a class last minute of lower ranked guys. If all of the MN kids move on, I hope we’re able to land some of the other guys we’re after.

"left trying to scrape together a class last minute of lower ranked guys."

You realize we can recruit kids from outside the the borders of Minnesota, right? We have a good shot with quite a few non-Minnesota kids that are highly touted. The sky is not falling.

You realize we can recruit kids from outside the the borders of Minnesota, right? We have a good shot with quite a few non-Minnesota kids that are highly touted. The sky is not falling.

There seems to be perception that ever getting a decent player (top 150/4-star) from out of state is a huge long shot, despite the fact that it happens just about every single year, and that the program is sunk if we aren’t making a killing on in-state recruits.

Yeah it would really suck if we had to settle for a class of Berry, Mashburn, and Muscadin. Look I love in-state guys just as much as the next guy and think we are in good spots with a number of them who remain to be very open but we are also recruiting some very talented out of state guys and if they wanna jump on a spot I'd be happy with that.

Yeah it would really suck if we had to settle for a class of Berry, Mashburn, and Muscadin. Look I love in-state guys just as much as the next guy and think we are in good spots with a number of them who remain to be very open but we are also recruiting some very talented out of state guys and if they wanna jump on a spot I'd be happy with that.

Agree 100%, Pitino has made every effort to make the in-state recruits feel very welcome on campus from what I have read and has been in contact with these guys for a long time. If they choose to go elsewhere that's up to them. If we are able to secure berry, mashburn, and muscadin I would be very, very happy with this class.

The staff has done all they can with every recruit. This is not a lazy staff. Evaluations are tough, recruiting them even tougher.

There seems to be perception that ever getting a decent player (top 150/4-star) from out of state is a huge long shot, despite the fact that it happens just about every single year, and that the program is sunk if we aren’t making a killing on in-state recruits.

You are right but it is still tough to wait until April/May before the class fills up or basically starts to fill, looks like that is going to be the case again. Better hope the year doesn't go in the sh* hole if that is the case though.

Personally I think Walton's our best bet right now. I think Garcia still very much in play, but I'm guessing no one really knows one way or another what he's thinking right now, but there's literally 30+ minutes waiting for him on a team that will be returning it's core group

You are missing my point. I worry that because the staff has put so much time and energy into the in-state class, and since there are so many good MN prospects, it has lowered the chances we get those other out of state recruits we’re after. If we miss on a single bigtime in-state guy (I.e. Matt hurt) it isn’t so painful because the time and effort put in is much less and worth the risk, since it’s just one guy. If we swing and miss on 6 or 7 in-state guys, that’s a different story. Obviously we can still get quality out of state kids. The scrape together comment is referencing what happens if we miss on Berry, Mashburn, etc? That’s where i start worrying.

Last edited:

Top Bottom