All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

They should have already offered Crowl.
It is because there hasn't been a whole lot of opportunity for the staff to see him live this spring/summer. His team wasn't at team camp and he was on a family vacation last weekend when the Minnesota showcase was going on. They've kept in contact and had him visit a few times. The staff wants to see him play again live which I believe the next chance to do that is July 11th. If he plays well I'd expect an offer that weekend.

It is because there hasn't been a whole lot of opportunity for the staff to see him live this spring/summer. His team wasn't at team camp and he was on a family vacation last weekend when the Minnesota showcase was going on. They've kept in contact and had him visit a few times. The staff wants to see him play again live which I believe the next chance to do that is July 11th. If he plays well I'd expect an offer that weekend.
Be interesting if he committed soon after if Crowl were to get an offer. I view Crowl as a Stretch five, someone who can give a different look than say Oturu or Freeman.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

per Sid:

• ESPN updated its basketball rankings for the Class of 2020: Jalen Suggs of Minnehaha Academy is No. 12, Dawson Garcia of Prior Lake is No. 46, Dain Dainja of Park Center is No. 50 and Ben Carlson of East Ridge is No. 86. For 2021, Chet Holmgren of Minnehaha Academy is No. 7 and Kendall Brown of East Ridge is No. 22. The Gophers have offered all of these players a scholarship.

http://www.startribune.com/new-clas...tark-contrast-to-last-year-s-group/512006392/

Go Gophers!!

My hope is Pitino told him and the family they'll be there to watch him up close on that date and then it will be time to offer. I just get worried waiting too long -- I don't think Carlson ends up here and the truth on Garcia is nearly every school in the country wants him. This isn't Oturu/Coffey that had tons of offers, borderline blue blood school offers but didn't quite get there. MN hasn't landed a five star player since Royce White, who didn't even get recruited by Tubby really. And the Rickert/Humphries types committed elsewhere then ended up at MN. I just can't let myself assume the Gophers have a "good shot" with Garcia. I think you continue to recruit Suggs and Garcia for sure but you also make Walton, Madsen and Crowl priorities -- as well as the non local kids you're after. But if the Gophers end up with lesser caliber players than Crowl, Pitino deserves flack!

They don't really play the same position, nor are they similar players in terms of recruiting profile. Garcia is not going to be threatened/put off by Crowl committing, let's put it that way,

I agree -- Garcia is a versatile freak at his size. Crowl is fairly skilled as well but not quite there physically like Garcia is. IMO, I can see a scenario where Garcia, Crowl and Oturu are all on the court together with Garcia running some point forward.

Garcia does so much for himself and the University by committing early.

Hope he chooses with his heart and goes Maroon and Gold. He would entice others like Suggs to stay to play in front of family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope he chooses with his heart and goes Maroon and Gold. He would entice others like Suggs to stay to play in front of family.

Where do I sign up for this? I'm in!

I'm trying to figure out exactly what "so much for himself" is, other than eliminating the possibility of other, better offers coming down the chute later. Maybe you know him personally and know that his heart is set on playing for the Gophers. Are we sure about that? I know that if I were in that situation, I would be pretty tempted to wait as long as I can, to make sure I had all the possible options available before making the call. Unless, I found the whole recruiting thing tiring and just wanted it over with.

I know when I was that age, I was looking for opportunities to get out of Minnesota and try to find success elsewhere. Not because I didn't like Minnesota, but because I wanted to challenge myself in another situation that was out of my comfort zone. Would we hold it against him if that's actually where his heart and mind are?

No chance Garcia comes here, sorry guys.

Change the expectation . . . the best case for local kids is Crowl and either Walton/Madsen.

My hope is Pitino told him and the family they'll be there to watch him up close on that date and then it will be time to offer. I just get worried waiting too long -- I don't think Carlson ends up here and the truth on Garcia is nearly every school in the country wants him. This isn't Oturu/Coffey that had tons of offers, borderline blue blood school offers but didn't quite get there. MN hasn't landed a five star player since Royce White, who didn't even get recruited by Tubby really. And the Rickert/Humphries types committed elsewhere then ended up at MN. I just can't let myself assume the Gophers have a "good shot" with Garcia. I think you continue to recruit Suggs and Garcia for sure but you also make Walton, Madsen and Crowl priorities -- as well as the non local kids you're after. But if the Gophers end up with lesser caliber players than Crowl, Pitino deserves flack!

Oturu had an offer from Kansas. If he didn't commit to us as early as he did, he likely would have had more blue blood offers.

Abrams, you are dead wrong. Gophers are right in the mix.

It is true he considered going to prep school for his senior season in North Carolina but it sounds like that has passed.

He didn’t do an unofficial visit last week to waste his own time.

He likely has shared his timeline / agreed to a timeline as he knows he is top on the Gopher recruiting board.

He may or may not choose the Gophers but we are definitely in his consideration set.

I have a D1 kid in another sport
and it is a huge relief once the decision is made. The recruiting process is not as exciting for these kids as many people believe.

It is true he considered going to prep school for his senior season in North Carolina but it sounds like that has passed.

He likely has shared his timeline / agreed to a timeline as he knows he is top on the Gopher recruiting board.

He may or may not choose the Gophers but we are definitely in his consideration set.

and it is a huge relief once the decision is made. The recruiting process is not as exciting for these kids as many people believe.

Few are ever going to believe that one of these highly ranked kids are going to sign with the Gophers until one does. If guys want to sound smart on here- they say negative things and it usually comes true, because it has for 50 years. I am going to keep hoping that one of these kids like Garcia and/or Suggs takes the lead and makes the Gophers a Big Ten championship contender.

Do you know Dawson?

Ever talked to him?

Ever seen his reaction when the gophers are talked about?

Do you know Dawson?

Ever talked to him?

Ever seen his reaction when the gophers are talked about?

Same questions to you. Since you are asking these pointed questions safe to assume you’ve some kind of relationship with Dawson?

Last edited:

Same questions to you. Since you are asking these pointer questions safe to assume you’ve some kind of relationship with Dawson?

Dawson has always spoken glowingly about the Gophers. No promises, I think like with Reid Travis were legitimately in the mix, same with Suggs. It's a ****ty way to live life always assuming the worst for the sake of being right on a message board If these guys go elsewhere I'll still cheer for the guys who do come here. Most of my favourites over the years are from out of state.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, its a new day, we have a new President who claims to love sports, we just got a 4* WR, maybe its the day for Suggs/Garcia to commit and really take this thing to the next level!

Can someone tell me where we're at with Walton? How likely is it that we land him? His offer list doesn't look that impressive.

Can someone tell me where we're at with Walton? How likely is it that we land him? His offer list doesn't look that impressive.
He's the one I want the least out of the instate kids that have been offered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does the double pf offers imply our in-state Minnesota big man isn’t coming?[emoji51]

He's a 6'5" very thin small forward. He has lots of great offers tho.

Does the double pf offers imply our in-state Minnesota big man isn’t coming?[emoji51]

I doubt it. I like the idea of having offers out to a lot of guys so that it creates a little urgency for our local favorites. We have a really nice list of about 10+ guys that are saying good things about the relationship with the coaches and opportunity at the U of M.

Not impressed with Murrell, haven't seen Myles Stute play yet. Murrell looks like a typical tall, unathletic white kid who can finish lobs/dunks around the rim but not much else. Highlight tape didn't reveal any type of outside shot and he clearly lacks the quickness to take someone off the dribble, even at 6'9 this will be a problem in the B1G with bigger, more athletic defenders.

Not sure why we extended Murrell an offer... maybe we're trying to speed up Garcia's decision or perhaps he's already told Pitino he doesn't plan on committing here.

Murrell is a really good athlete. One of his parents was a high jumper at the U, can’t remember if it was his dad or mom. I like the look of his game.

Murrell is a really good athlete. One of his parents was a high jumper at the U, can’t remember if it was his dad or mom. I like the look of his game.

I think it was his dad. He was on my intramural basketball team.

Gee I wonder why the gophers have offered forwards Max Murrell and Myles Stute?!?!

Top Bottom