All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

You are missing my point. I worry that because the staff has put so much time and energy into the in-state class, and since there are so many good MN prospects, it has lowered the chances we get those other out of state recruits we’re after. If we miss on a single bigtime in-state guy (I.e. Matt hurt) it isn’t so painful because the time and effort put in is much less and worth the risk, since it’s just one guy. If we swing and miss on 6 or 7 in-state guys, that’s a different story. Obviously we can still get quality out of state kids. The scrape together comment is referencing what happens if we miss on Berry, Mashburn, etc? That’s where i start worrying.

We all are going to be worried until a class has signed. But by hustling and getting no less than 25-30 guys looking hard at our program, the odds are in our favor. I think all of our best options are still uncommitted. It isn't like they have been just waiting on the locals- even though I am sure they want them badly. I still think we get a great class ...something like Walton, Garcia and Berry. Who knows, maybe at the last, Suggs wants to keep his football options open and...

Indiana got a kid tonight that i really like, Jordan Geronimo.

STrib: What's next locally for Gophers 2020 class recruiting after Gabe Madsen picked Cincinnati?

It was going to be tough for the Gophers to land Madsen without offering a scholarship to his brother. Pitino was being careful with the three scholarships available for the class.

“We can’t take every kid in the state,” said Pitino, speaking generally about recruiting last week. “Sometimes we might not need that position. Sometimes it might not be the right fit – and that’s Ok. That’s not necessarily a big deal.”

Pitino can’t talk about recruits who haven’t signed, but he’d probably tell Gophers fans not to panic about losing Madsen. But where do the Gophers stand now with the rest of their in-state 2020 targets?

Prior Lake’s Dawson Garcia, Hopkins’ Kerwin Walton, Eastview’s Steven Crowl and East Ridge’s Ben Carlson all made an unofficial visit to the Gophers last Thursday before the football team’s opener vs. South Dakota State (along with 2021 Arizona guard Frankie Collins and 2020 Kansas guard Ty Berry on officials).

http://www.startribune.com/what-s-n...fter-gabe-madsen-picked-cincinnati/559273142/

Go Gophers!!

Built, have you watched Gordon play much? I was curious what you think of him.

Hopefully Marcus Carr can provide him some insights on the benefits of the U vs. Pitt during his upcoming official!

Saw the new rival rankings
10) Suggs
34) Garcia
83) Walton
87) Carlson
98) Murrell
100) Mashburn
116) Berry
127) Mitchell
128) Muscadin
142) Gordon

Daija came in at 53, no Madsen, no Crowl

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If we can come out of september with a Muscadin and Gordon commit I would be pretty happy with that, both look like pretty solid players.

If we can come out of september with a Muscadin and Gordon commit I would be pretty happy with that, both look like pretty solid players.
Muscadin has a Kansas visit the following weekend. I think we're in it, but I'm not confident he will leave committed. I like Gordon, but I'm hoping for another shooter to compliment Gabe

Muscadin has a Kansas visit the following weekend. I think we're in it, but I'm not confident he will leave committed. I like Gordon, but I'm hoping for another shooter to compliment Gabe

Hopefully Muscadin values the opportunity for max playing time as opposed to the blue blood allure (assuming Oturu enters draft after this year or next), ideally getting walton along with gordon for the additional shooting.

No football game to entice Muscadin, smaht!

Didn't exactly work to secure a commit last week, maybe the increased focus on the basketball team, rest of the campus, and facilities will be better than attending a football game.

Didn't exactly work to secure a commit last week, maybe the increased focus on the basketball team, rest of the campus, and facilities will be better than attending a football game.

I was making fun of the inability to sell out the stadium and it better to not have a football game. I would think increased focus on what would be available to him would make for a better visit. As long as there are cheerleaders and co-eds nearby.

I was making fun of the inability to sell out the stadium and it better to not have a football game. I would think increased focus on what would be available to him would make for a better visit. As long as there are cheerleaders and co-eds nearby.
Do Kansas and Duke take recruits to football games?

The stadium looked great last Thursday - very close to sold out

per Marcus:

Still, what impressed Berry the most about the entire visit was being able to chat with Minnesota coach Richard Pitino about the program. Previously, Berry’s communication had mostly been with assistant Kyle Lindsted, who first recruited him two years ago on Wichita State’s staff.

“It improved my perspective on Minnesota,” Berry said. “At first, I was a little skeptical and didn’t know how I was going to like it and all that. After the visit, I talked to my parents. It was a fun time. It looks like a place where I could be at.”

Berry, who grew up in Newton, Kansas, didn’t know much about Minnesota before his visit.

“I knew the weather in Minnesota can be really cold and it can snow all of the time,” he said. “That was not really a huge factor. It was good to talk to coach Pitino a lot more and build a good relationship with him.”

Pitino told Berry that “nothing is guaranteed” when it comes to playing time, but that he saw the opportunity to contribute as a freshman. Berry sees his position at the next level being point guard, but his three-point shooting allows him to play off the ball as well.

“If I want to come in and play right away, I got to work and show I can compete at the highest level,” Berry said. “That’s how it’s going to be almost everywhere. But (Pitino) said he can see me coming in and making an impact if I put in the work.”

http://www.startribune.com/after-hi...ke-a-place-i-could-be/559487442/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

-- Three-star First Love Academy wing DJ Gordon narrowed down his list to six schools Wednesday, which includes the Gophers. The 6-6 Gordon, who also is considering Iowa, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Providence and VCU, plans to make an official visit to Minnesota on either Sept. 20 or Oct. 4 weekends.

Gordon told Rivals.com's Pittsburgh site Panther-Lair on the Gophers: "My coach and (assistant Rob) Jeter from Minnesota compare me to Amir Coffey, who is now with the LA Clippers ... He said we have similar games, athletic and can defend."

http://www.startribune.com/after-hi...ke-a-place-i-could-be/559487442/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

Do Kansas and Duke take recruits to football games?

They sure do but no one i know of committed based on their experience at a football game. It plays a very small role in the whole visit picture. Time spent with their potential teammates is valuable but football games, even when electric in atmosphere has yielded little if anything at places like PSU,Alabama,UW,Clemson etc..

They sure do but no one i know of committed based on their experience at a football game. It plays a very small role in the whole visit picture. Time spent with their potential teammates is valuable but football games, even when electric in atmosphere has yielded little if anything at places like PSU,Alabama,UW,Clemson etc..

Joe Krabbenhoft said that when wisconsin beat OSU and rushed the field that he knew he would commit at that moment as it was during his official visit.

During my four years at KU, the staff rarely took the players to the football games.

Go Gophers!!

Joe Krabbenhoft said that when wisconsin beat OSU and rushed the field that he knew he would commit at that moment as it was during his official visit.

During my four years at KU, the staff rarely took the players to the football games.

Go Gophers!!

Well your right, you found one. The staff at KU WOULD NOT TAKE PLAYERS to the football game , that is done by your existing players and they would usually leave at halftime, especially with that atmosphere. Krabby was going to pick UW anyway but that may have helped as the last piece.

per Marcus:

-- Three-star First Love Academy wing DJ Gordon narrowed down his list to six schools Wednesday, which includes the Gophers. The 6-6 Gordon, who also is considering Iowa, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Providence and VCU, plans to make an official visit to Minnesota on either Sept. 20 or Oct. 4 weekends.

Gordon told Rivals.com's Pittsburgh site Panther-Lair on the Gophers: "My coach and (assistant Rob) Jeter from Minnesota compare me to Amir Coffey, who is now with the LA Clippers ... He said we have similar games, athletic and can defend."

Go Gophers!!

Thought the exact same thing when I watched his highlights the other night. Immediately thought "wow, he looks like a right handed Amir Coffey" just a couple inches shorter

Thought the exact same thing when I watched his highlights the other night. Immediately thought "wow, he looks like a right handed Amir Coffey" just a couple inches shorter

Really hope Coffey becomes a solid nba feather in pitino’s cap. Good to see recruits make the association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom