All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

say what you will, but i'm glad pitino isn't just waiting on the talented in state class and is out making offers to others as well. would love to land some/most/all of the in state guys but it's going to be tough to get any given the offers on the table

say what you will, but i'm glad pitino isn't just waiting on the talented in state class and is out making offers to others as well. would love to land some/most/all of the in state guys but it's going to be tough to get any given the offers on the table

I pretty much agree, but the offer to Donovan Yap is a bit concerning. He has a funky shooting stroke and one offer from Colorado St is all that pops up in limited research.

That would suggest to me the Gophers are the ones worried about being left without anybody after announcements are made among the top rated guys we are after. Result: So we’ll target somebody we can get?

Yap ain’t Walton or Madsen like. If we are offering Yap, why wouldn’t we offer the Madsen Twins together?

Coles is a great offer!

Last edited:

I pretty much agree, but the offer to Donovan Yap is a bit concerning. He has a funky shooting stroke and one offer from Colorado St is all that pops up in limited research.

That would suggest to me the Gophers are the ones worried about being left without anybody after announcements are made among the top rated guys we are after. Result: So we’ll target somebody we can get?

Yap ain’t Walton or Madsen like. If we are offering Yap, why wouldn’t we offer the Madsen Twins together?

Coles is a great offer!

I wondered the same thing about Yap...what is it that stands out? Does he have rocket speed? I know that Pitino really likes a PG that can fly like lil Dre could and Dorsey who would have been really good were it not for the character issues.

As to overall recruiting- they are offering a LOT of kids for 2020, perhaps at around 15 offers out there now. So we are going to start finding out pretty soon which of these guys really want to be Gophers.

Coles is a great offer!

Funny, Yap was good enough for UNLV, but I trust your extensive player evaluations....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, Yap was good enough for UNLV, but I trust your extensive player evaluations....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I value your trust! I'm happy you agree a lower level 17-13 program who fired their coach and had their best players transfer
is validation this player was not highly sought. UNLV is desperate for candidates to accept scholarships.

Yap would like to remain close to his mom at home in Las Vegas. He would like to get stronger so he is able to play at the division one level. He weighs 155 pounds and shot 32% from 3 at the high school distance. He will have a chance to play at UNLV. Best fit for him.

I'm happy we agree Walton and the Madsen twins are better prospects.

Thank you!

Sorry. Suggs commits to the Zags but never plays in college and goes to Australia

I’m guessing we would have to give both the Madsen brothers a scholarship to get Gabe

I’m guessing we would have to give both the Madsen brothers a scholarship to get Gabe

They were .500 in a weak conference. That sounds about right. Take them both.......LOL

They were .500 in a weak conference. That sounds about right. Take them both.......LOL

I am sure that Mason is a very standup guy and I would really like Gabe as a part of this team but not at the expense of taking on Mason. We already have a PG on scholarship who I very much question whether or not they have the skill to play at this level.

If Gabe really wants to be a package deal with his brother, I get it and it is very admirable..but it won't be here or at least it shouldn't be. He(Gabe) will almost certainly give up an opportunity to play for a better program if he won't play without Mason on scholarship.

Well that stinks. I know my Mashburn is rated higher but I liked Long's game better

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Speaking of Mashburn, if his stats on D1 Circuit's website are accurate, he doesn't sound like a point guard (fewer than 1 assist per game), so if we're intent on getting a point guard in this class, I don't think Mashburn will be it either.

Speaking of Mashburn, if his stats on D1 Circuit's website are accurate, he doesn't sound like a point guard (fewer than 1 assist per game), so if we're intent on getting a point guard in this class, I don't think Mashburn will be it either.
perhaps they offer Mason now

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying you're wrong but there are 13 roster spots and how many teams go deeper than 8-9 guys? If we feel that Gabe is the real deal and a difference maker, I'd do it. Heck...maybe his brother even surprises us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure that Mason is a very standup guy and I would really like Gabe as a part of this team but not at the expense of taking on Mason. We already have a PG on scholarship who I very much question whether or not they have the skill to play at this level.

If Gabe really wants to be a package deal with his brother, I get it and it is very admirable..but it won't be here or at least it shouldn't be. He(Gabe) will almost certainly give up an opportunity to play for a better program if he won't play without Mason on scholarship.
Beggars can’t be choosers.

Ryan James has had some good stuff recently and he expects Gabe and Mason to play together in college. As of right now, they could likely end up at Toledo or Northern Iowa if their offer status remains the same. However Ryan has heard that Cincinnati may be close to offering Mason and that Iowa and Minnesota are considering it. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but they was it was written in several spots made it seem like the likelihood of an offer for Mason was in that exact order: Cincy, Iowa, Minnesota. Now this contradicts Gabe's recent comments to the Star Tribune that indicated both brothers would be doing what was best for them individually. The news from Ryan came before the Jahari Long decision too which could change things.

On Mashburn Jr, Ryan mentioned that some schools are seeing him more as a small 2 guard as opposed to a point guard and that some schools may/are moving him down the board a bit due to his lack of play making. It sill seems like he's a top target for Minnesota though as they've been present for all of his games.

On Kerwin Walton, Ryan mentioned that it's not really known yet if Kerwin is actually a top target for Kansas and Arizona or just a target. He also mentioned that Kerwin is looking at visits to places like Iowa, Iowa State, and Creighton in addition to Minnesota.

On Jalen Suggs, he's basically a silent verbal to Gonzaga and all that could change that as this point in Ryan's view is an itch to play football.

He hasn't update the Gophers pursuit of Forwards and Centers yet, but I assume that is coming soon.

I am not a member on 247, so I assume this info is free to share as I was able to access it without paying for a service. I would assume proper credit to Ryan James and 247 is enough.

My own thoughts: Reading Ryan's work it is scary the lack of talent the Gophers are "in" on out of state right now. Jamal Mashburn Jr and DJ Gordon are pretty much the only top talents the Gophers are in on out of state at the guard and wing positions respectively. Beyond the guards/wings, it's absolutely imperative that Pitino land Garcia ( my preference) or Carlson. He simply cannot go 0-4 in this top group of in state talent. The positive is that this class runs 6 or 7 deep in state (depending on what you think of Crowl) so the lack of traction outside of the state can be overcome. You could take Garica/Walton/Crowl and then hope a PG becomes available in the Spring when one of the projects on the roster currently inevitably moves on...but you have to get the centerpiece. Hopefully it's Dawson Garcia.

I think this class ends of being Crowl and parts and pieces . . . .dragging out until next summer. I just get the feeling Dawson or Carlson will come here. Who knows.

Ryan James has had some good stuff recently and he expects Gabe and Mason to play together in college. As of right now, they could likely end up at Toledo or Northern Iowa if their offer status remains the same. However Ryan has heard that Cincinnati may be close to offering Mason and that Iowa and Minnesota are considering it. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but they was it was written in several spots made it seem like the likelihood of an offer for Mason was in that exact order: Cincy, Iowa, Minnesota. Now this contradicts Gabe's recent comments to the Star Tribune that indicated both brothers would be doing what was best for them individually. The news from Ryan came before the Jahari Long decision too which could change things.

On Mashburn Jr, Ryan mentioned that some schools are seeing him more as a small 2 guard as opposed to a point guard and that some schools may/are moving him down the board a bit due to his lack of play making. It sill seems like he's a top target for Minnesota though as they've been present for all of his games.

On Kerwin Walton, Ryan mentioned that it's not really known yet if Kerwin is actually a top target for Kansas and Arizona or just a target. He also mentioned that Kerwin is looking at visits to places like Iowa, Iowa State, and Creighton in addition to Minnesota.

On Jalen Suggs, he's basically a silent verbal to Gonzaga and all that could change that as this point in Ryan's view is an itch to play football.

He hasn't update the Gophers pursuit of Forwards and Centers yet, but I assume that is coming soon.

I am not a member on 247, so I assume this info is free to share as I was able to access it without paying for a service. I would assume proper credit to Ryan James and 247 is enough.

My own thoughts: Reading Ryan's work it is scary the lack of talent the Gophers are "in" on out of state right now. Jamal Mashburn Jr and DJ Gordon are pretty much the only top talents the Gophers are in on out of state at the guard and wing positions respectively. Beyond the guards/wings, it's absolutely imperative that Pitino land Garcia ( my preference) or Carlson. He simply cannot go 0-4 in this top group of in state talent. The positive is that this class runs 6 or 7 deep in state (depending on what you think of Crowl) so the lack of traction outside of the state can be overcome. You could take Garica/Walton/Crowl and then hope a PG becomes available in the Spring when one of the projects on the roster currently inevitably moves on...but you have to get the centerpiece. Hopefully it's Dawson Garcia.
I think you are alright with posting it. I believe he put the article as free but then added more in depth stuff on the message board for the subscribers.

Evidently Crowl is put off that we waited so long to offer. RJ says it will be Wisky or Iowa at this point.

Top Bottom