All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Ty Berry
Gabe Madson
DJ Gordon

Final six for Jakobi Coles -- not sure if visit scheduled

And the list is longer because some Gopher targets are taking unofficial visits to the Gophers because it is closer to home for them and are using their allotted 5 official visits for farther away paid trips.

per Marcus:

Gophers basketball has its first big recruiting date planned for the football team’s season opener next Thursday against South Dakota State at TCF Bank Stadium.

Expected on the first official visit for Richard Pitino this fall will be three-star Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) guard Ty Berry, but he won’t be alone.

Accompanying Berry will be several local prospects on unofficials, including 2020 targets and D1 Minnesota teammates Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Steven Crowl and Ben Carlson.

A 6-foot-3, 180-pound senior from Newton, Kan., Berry was offered a scholarship by the Gophers in June. His first official visit was to Northwestern earlier this month. Berry is also considering Kansas State, Iowa State and Oklahoma State, among others.

“He’s a combo guard who can score, but obviously run the show when you need him to,” said Berry’s AAU coach L.J. Goolsby, who runs KC Run GMC. “His ability to shoot is what intrigued a lot of people. I know Coach Pitino is really trying to add that to his team. He’s a great kid. He could be an asset to whatever program he chooses to play for.”

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-g...-recruits-visiting-football-opener/554893002/

Go Gophers!!

Gophers likely never in the running on this guy. Top five announced.

per Marcus:

Gophers basketball has its first big recruiting date planned for the football team’s season opener next Thursday against South Dakota State at TCF Bank Stadium.

Expected on the first official visit for Richard Pitino this fall will be three-star Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) guard Ty Berry, but he won’t be alone.

Accompanying Berry will be several local prospects on unofficials, including 2020 targets and D1 Minnesota teammates Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Steven Crowl and Ben Carlson.

A 6-foot-3, 180-pound senior from Newton, Kan., Berry was offered a scholarship by the Gophers in June. His first official visit was to Northwestern earlier this month. Berry is also considering Kansas State, Iowa State and Oklahoma State, among others.

“He’s a combo guard who can score, but obviously run the show when you need him to,” said Berry’s AAU coach L.J. Goolsby, who runs KC Run GMC. “His ability to shoot is what intrigued a lot of people. I know Coach Pitino is really trying to add that to his team. He’s a great kid. He could be an asset to whatever program he chooses to play for.”

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-g...-recruits-visiting-football-opener/554893002/

Go Gophers!!

Some, if not all, of the local guys will be using this as their official. No inside info, just makes sense.

No Suggs is telling.

Ehhhh not really true imo. These guys all play AAU together, Suggs plays on a different squad that is full of guys with Gopher offers just like this bunch.

No Suggs is telling.
Just because he isn't listed yet doesn't mean he won't be there. He has and has had for a long time an open invitation to come whenever he wants so a most of the time his visits are more decide a day before. Wouldn't be surprised if that is the case again especially with him opening his football season the night after.

According to this list, the Gophers have mutual interest with 12 prospects in the top 150. I have no idea how this will turn out but they have their name on more top 150 kids than I can ever recall.

I don't see any Crystal Balls pointing at Minnesota presently. Did I miss someone?

I don't see any Crystal Balls pointing at Minnesota presently. Did I miss someone?

If you have any faith in being able to click on a link, and clink on a few more individual links, you could probably answer this.

If you have any faith in being able to click on a link, and clink on a few more individual links, you could probably answer this.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Basketball/TargetPredictions/ - I'm new to poking around 247 but I'm seeing 0 crystal ball predictions in favor of Minnesota for the class of 2020. Some intel must have come out about Gabe Madsen because two crystal ball predictions for Cincinnati popped up in the past week.

And hey, if it makes you feel better to talk to this way to people on the internet by all means go ahead. I enjoy talking with my fellow Gopher fans and prefer a more positive level of dialogue.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Basketball/TargetPredictions/ - I'm new to poking around 247 but I'm seeing 0 crystal ball predictions in favor of Minnesota for the class of 2020. Some intel must have come out about Gabe Madsen because two crystal ball predictions for Cincinnati popped up in the past week.

And hey, if it makes you feel better to talk to this way to people on the internet by all means go ahead. I enjoy talking with my fellow Gopher fans and prefer a more positive level of dialogue.

Regarding Gabe, they offered his brother and they said they’d visit. It’s just them guessing early

My guess is we have less than 25% in landing any of the 12 out the top 150. The local guys mention the Gophers but it's just a save face vibe.

My guess is we have less than 25% in landing any of the 12 out the top 150. The local guys mention the Gophers but it's just a save face vibe.

If land 25% of the 12- that would fill our class with 3. If on the other hand you are claiming we have less than 25% chance of landing ANY of them at all- I think you are going to be wrong there.

Gophers will absolutely fill their class and most if not all of the recruits will be 150 or better.

Gophers will absolutely fill their class and most if not all of the recruits will be 150 or better.

I like your optimism. I'm not convinced. Were not crystal balled with anyone right now.

We're clearing going to land someone. I just don't have a good feel for the top guys.

That is fair, there was intended snark...right after someone makes remarks regarding a positive outlook, people will respond often with something that they try to frame as telling, even though it usually isn't. I think that is the case here as the interest and relationship matters, not the CBs.

CBs on 247 should be taken with a grain of salt...they will all flip to the right school a week/days before they commit, or often they do.

I like your optimism. I'm not convinced. Were not crystal balled with anyone right now.

Crystal ball predictions change weekly depending on where the kids take visits etc. I don't think we've had a year outside of Pitino's first year that we haven't landed a top 150 kid. In addition some of the non 150 kids we landed (Nate Mason, Jordan Murphy, Gabe) turned out all right so I think we're fine.

I'll add that we've also had top 150 kids that were duds. Dorsey and Washington to name a few.

I would take the crystal ball with a grain of salt, most of them change the day before a commitment so there never wrong and usually a school will pick up some on OV's. Personally I think you want the first or the last visit. Everyone always remembers the first and if you're a middle visit and you don't get a verbal on an OV you rarely land the recruit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Will add that unless your a blue blood type program where you can wait late to even offer the best chance to get a kid is early. 90% of the time it drags on the worse it is . Those recruit numbers mean nothing to me. I do not respect the skill level of those doing it or their methods.

With Blue Bloods stringing multiple kids along, is there ever an advantage for a high level four star who has a "wink-wink" offer to publicly announce they plan on going to Duke or wherever to discourage the remaining recruits they are after at their position to move on?

That's what I would do, to force their hand.

With Blue Bloods stringing multiple kids along, is there ever an advantage for a high level four star who has a "wink-wink" offer to publicly announce they plan on going to Duke or wherever to discourage the remaining recruits they are after at their position to move on?

That's what I would do, to force their hand.

Those kids do not have that kind of leverage with the blue bloods. The blue bloods have waited longer to offer because they can. Kids manage the balance to see if they can get the best offers or the offer they covet the most. Like everything, that has changed so much in the last 25 years as the complexity and the exposure for kids is so much wider. Not really a big deal where they are ranked though. There are so many really wonderful players. The job is to find the ones that fit to make the best team you can. We have had good glasses. Time to have a great team.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom