All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Some of you need to CALM DOWN. Why are people getting bent out of shape because of a player who clearly didn't want to be here (Carlson) and a player who was much lower on Pitino's preferred list (Crowl). Lots of chips to fall here still...

Some of you blind homers make me laugh. Oturu was the last guy we beat out blue bloods for. . . . .have you see the offer list for Muscadin? Do you honestly think we have a shot at him? If we get him great. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Garcia and Walton are going to NC or Kansas or Arizona or some other elite program with a winning tradition. Minnesota has been a bottom 1/3 team in the big ten for decades. Decades. Little richards need to focus his efforts on guys we can actually get and hope for a diamond in the ruff like Gabe. Berry is probably going to Oklahoma State.

For you homers here is the gopher recent record:

Year Overall Big Ten
2003–04 12–18 3–13
2004–05 21–11 10–6
2005–06 16–15 5–11
2006–07 9–22 3–13
2007–08 20–14 8–10
2008–09 22–11 9–9
2009–10 21–14 9–9
2010–11 17–14 6–12
2011–12 23–15 6–12
2012–13 21–13 8–10
2013–14 25–13 8–10
2014–15 18–15 6–12
2015–16 8–23 2–16
2016–17 24–10 11–7
2017–18 15–17 4–14
2018–19 21–13 9–11

Muscadin was just here last weekend on an official. Why would he do that if he has no interest? We also are making another home visit right after the official. Why would we do that if there was no chance? Oturo was a freshman last year so in the last two recruiting cycles we've beaten out a blue blood? What more do you want or expect? I'm not happy or ok with our results. I do believe we are trajecting forward and like who's and how we are recruiting since Jeter and Lindsted have come aboard. The early years will hurt us. Whether that gets Pitino more time is beside the point. Watch the present and see the developments on defense and the type of guys we are getting. That's what players will see.

Muscadin was just here last weekend on an official. Why would he do that if he has no interest? We also are making another home visit right after the official. Why would we do that if there was no chance? Oturo was a freshman last year so in the last two recruiting cycles we've beaten out a blue blood? What more do you want or expect? I'm not happy or ok with our results. I do believe we are trajecting forward and like who's and how we are recruiting since Jeter and Lindsted have come aboard. The early years will hurt us. Whether that gets Pitino more time is beside the point. Watch the present and see the developments on defense and the type of guys we are getting. That's what players will see.

I'm hoping we see some positive developments in the Linsted/Jeter recruiting team. Lots of good players on the radar, but there are no prizes for second place in recruiting. So far, we haven't seen much in terms of results. I'm probably more patient than some, but this is a huge year in recruiting and so far we are shut out. Don't have to hit the panic button yet, but it would be nice to see a high priority recruit make a public commitment soon.

I'm hoping we see some positive developments in the Linsted/Jeter recruiting team. Lots of good players on the radar, but there are no prizes for second place in recruiting. So far, we haven't seen much in terms of results. I'm probably more patient than some, but this is a huge year in recruiting and so far we are shut out. Don't have to hit the panic button yet, but it would be nice to see a high priority recruit make a public commitment soon.

Last years spring should make you happy with developments from this staff. It's still quite early and our main targets that we've us d the most resources on haven't made decisions yet

Why are you ready to anoint Gard as such a great coach? His winning percentage in his tenure (not including the partial season that Bo started) is 62.5 and Pitino's is 55 (not including FIU). Yes I understand he has had more B1G success, but the dude has won 2 tourney games lol, quit stroking him.

Gard's program was literally light years ahead of Pitino's and you are anointing Gard as an exceptional coach every time he is mentioned, and love to compare him to Pitino. We know that they prefer other staffs over ours buddy, that's why they choose them. We know that they have better programs historically than us, that is why were only able to hire Richard Pitino at the time.

You like to go off of facts when its convenient, cant have it both ways. Gard lost 5 more games in his second year than Bo ever did in any season. Convenient for you to leave that out every time you mention him. The recruiting class in '16 was garbage, '17 was very very good, '18 class was middle of the road, and 2019 included one pretty solid player in Wahl. Why is Greg Gard such a great coach? What has he done to prove he can identify talent, mold it, and win with it? Has he gotten that much more out of his teams? I wouldn't say that personally.

To me there isn't a ton of evidence, although I do think he's a good coach. Top 5 coach in the conference? I don't think so, but time will tell. When you take over a top 20 program, its a lot easier to win.

Because i saw him go 14-6 last year. I saw him get to 40 conference wins quickly. I have seen a dozen of his practices, i have known him 18 years, i have scouted with him, i know his character and his eye. With all that said, it is my opinion.

Last years spring should make you happy with developments from this staff. It's still quite early and our main targets that we've us d the most resources on haven't made decisions yet

I want you to be right, but what I remember most about the spring recruiting last year were a couple of whiffs on guys who it looked like could help right away and externally appeared to have a link to Linsted from Sunrise. Also missed on a high end recruit that used to play for Jeter. We did get the grad transfer from Drexel, but the only other guy was a way off the radar undersized point guard. Certainly not awe inspiring on paper. Again, I'm willing to give these guys a chance, but I do think a home run class, if not a grand slam, this fall will be necessary to quiet the cynics, and appease the worriers like me.

Because i saw him go 14-6 last year. I saw him get to 40 conference wins quickly. I have seen a dozen of his practices, i have known him 18 years, i have scouted with him, i know his character and his eye. With all that said, it is my opinion.

You think that your personal relationship might have something to do with that? If Pitino took over MSU he would have 40 pretty fast too. Sounds to me like you want to use personal feeling now and not facts now that it is someone who you like. Wish you would apply the same standard when discussing other on this board.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Some of you blind homers make me laugh. Oturu was the last guy we beat out blue bloods for. . . . .have you see the offer list for Muscadin? Do you honestly think we have a shot at him? If we get him great. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Garcia and Walton are going to NC or Kansas or Arizona or some other elite program with a winning tradition. Minnesota has been a bottom 1/3 team in the big ten for decades. Decades. Little richards need to focus his efforts on guys we can actually get and hope for a diamond in the ruff like Gabe. Berry is probably going to Oklahoma State.

For you homers here is the gopher recent record:

Year Overall Big Ten
2003–04 12–18 3–13
2004–05 21–11 10–6
2005–06 16–15 5–11
2006–07 9–22 3–13
2007–08 20–14 8–10
2008–09 22–11 9–9
2009–10 21–14 9–9
2010–11 17–14 6–12
2011–12 23–15 6–12
2012–13 21–13 8–10
2013–14 25–13 8–10
2014–15 18–15 6–12
2015–16 8–23 2–16
2016–17 24–10 11–7
2017–18 15–17 4–14
2018–19 21–13 9–11

Those who dwell in the past, live in the past. WTF does any of that have to do with our current team? If all you can do is cry about it, then move on because you are not a real fan!

And so do you.

I cheer for the U to beat UW but i do think Gard is a better coach. I cheer for the Vikings but i do not think Zimmer is the best coach. You can be a huge fan of the team and not think the coach is very good. You despise a team and think the coach is great.

You think that your personal relationship might have something to do with that? If Pitino took over MSU he would have 40 pretty fast too. Sounds to me like you want to use personal feeling now and not facts now that it is someone who you like. Wish you would apply the same standard when discussing other on this board.

Of course i am biased. I am human. But seeing how practices are run, how teams play is night and day. FTI, Gard did not take over MSU. He took over a situation where Bo left a 20 month hole in recruiting by not being clear when he would go. To do what Gard did taking over that hot mess mid stream one year was incredible and then to take his guys to 14-6 is last year is pretty damn impressive. People act as though no one in history would have been better than 40-70 in 6 years. That is delusional at worst and a heavy Pitino bias at worst. I support this program on so many levels, even flying here at least 5 games per year and cheer on the team but i will not ever shy away from what i see or believe in. I am loyal to myself and to those in need. If that involves my opinion , if asked i will tell whom is asking who i think the better coaches are i will tell them.

The sctick is getting old. Basically.....

Richard Pitino = Bad
Greg Gard = Very Good
Tony Bennett= GOD

Mike Zimmer = Not Very Good :confused:

Only one team is ever going to have the best available coach as they are the best and everyone else is worse. I understand why people are not happy with Pitino, but I believe he has shown more than his previous two predecessors. Stop complaining and provide actual legit coaching replacements and then a real conversation can be had. Firing anyone for the sake of firing them because they didn't deliver on expectations does nothing unless there is a better candidate ready to replace them.

I cheer for the U to beat UW but i do think Gard is a better coach. I cheer for the Vikings but i do not think Zimmer is the best coach. You can be a huge fan of the team and not think the coach is very good. You despise a team and think the coach is great.

i have a tough time believing you would cheer for Gophers over Badgers

Only one team is ever going to have the best available coach as they are the best and everyone else is worse. I understand why people are not happy with Pitino, but I believe he has shown more than his previous two predecessors. Stop complaining and provide actual legit coaching replacements and then a real conversation can be had. Firing anyone for the sake of firing them because they didn't deliver on expectations does nothing unless there is a better candidate ready to replace them.

I am not calling for a firing, i stand by his recent recruiting and the huge 2020 effort. I only want a change if we continue not contending in the conference. If someone has 7 years with one winning conference season i think change is worth it. Staying the same is death. Study other programs that got elite, they did not ride a coach for 15 years and have it happen. That is not how to run a program. You do not change just to change, you change to win. I agree with the poster on calm down on the 2020 recruiting. That will play out and we will not know for 20 months how they play. Doom and gloom on recruiting is by the same fanatics who think if we get Garcia and Suggs that we will win the national title ! Most fans follow one team and most have never seen any of the recruits in person.

Why the F are you posting on this board? There is zero chance you are a Gopher fan or actually attend games at Williams. Nearly every post you make is some kind of veiled reference that we have an inferior coaching staff. Seriously, prove us wrong. I've literally witnessed you going to the F-ING FOOTBALL BOARD to take shots at Pitino's conference record. You can't even stay in your lane.

GET. OFF. THIS. BOARD. Nobody cares about the last time you and Tony Bennett had sex. Seriously. You are the worst.

(I can't wait for the impending next post saying "Just because I'm a fan of the Gophers, does that mean I need to accept below average results....in 3, 2, 1 and....)

I'm pretty sure he's got some multiple of the cost of a season ticket reasons why he's a good Gopher fan. Do you?

I'm pretty sure he's got some multiple of the cost of a season ticket reasons why he's a good Gopher fan. Do you?

We can all claim season tickets and donations on a message board, can't we? I guess when I'm on a message board I'm going to look at a person's narrative that's been being pushed at every given chance (for the past year) over a claim that cannot be proven. This dude is on here for three things:

1. To troll Gopher fans under the guise of a "supporter with proper expectations because I've seen how it should be done elsewhere"
2. To continually name-drop his "relationships" with coaches who are so much better than Pitino - why can't the rest of us idiots just see that?
3. To drop random tidbits and names in recruiting threads that have NOTHING to do with Gophers recruiting.

We can all claim season tickets and donations on a message board, can't we? I guess when I'm on a message board I'm going to look at a person's narrative that's been being pushed at every given chance (for the past year) over a claim that cannot be proven. This dude is on here for three things:

1. To troll Gopher fans under the guise of a "supporter with proper expectations because I've seen how it should be done elsewhere"
2. To continually name-drop his "relationships" with coaches who are so much better than Pitino - why can't the rest of us idiots just see that?
3. To drop random tidbits and names in recruiting threads that have NOTHING to do with Gophers recruiting.

What about his recent praise for recent recruiting classes? Our improved Defense over the season? Built prospective on here is a lot better than dudes coming on here to just whine. He can at least justify his opinions with data and research

What about his recent praise for recent recruiting classes? Our improved Defense over the season? Built prospective on here is a lot better than dudes coming on here to just whine. He can at least justify his opinions with data and research

That's fair. It's hard not to get glossed over with the constant "this is what true coaching is guys and I should know because" posts though. So I guess I missed the needles in the haystack.

NEVER said my expectations are proper, they are simply mine. Sharing my own observations. Those relationships are not name dropping. They are professional in nature and used as a reference point for success. At my late age impressing anyone is 65 years past being a teenager. Made the connection to recruiting and coaching since they are both intertwined. If my posts anger you, why read them ? The mods can cut them or ban me if he thinks there is not a healthy exchange of ideas, viewpoints and information. I f you want to meet me for proof of my support let me know whatever game your coming to and i will meet you in 106, 8 rows back. Someone can be a huge fan with a open mind to what has been done poorly, what has been done so well. What proof do you offer that your on some elevated level as a fan ?

That's fair. It's hard not to get glossed over with the constant "this is what true coaching is guys and I should know because" posts though. So I guess I missed the needles in the haystack.

All boards will have posters who have varied opinions. Built brings one here with respect and isn't a troll like the eddy springs dude or just a negative Nancy like DPo

Don't look up, abrams...the sky will fall right on top of your head. :)

The days of provincial recruiting have long since died with family and friends being able to watch virtually every game on TV regardless of where their kid goes to school. I'm as disappointed as anyone when we miss out on the highly rated local kids but the ultimate dream of playing for the home school the way we did as youngsters just doesn't seem to carry weight anymore which is sad. Just imagine what will happen when HS kids can go straight to the NBA in 2022 and the Top 15-20 recruits aren't available for the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world. Those programs will have to reach deeper into the cookie jar to land the best remaining talent and that will probably further diminish the overall quality of recruits for programs like Minnesota. Right now, the elite programs are dining on Crème Milanos while the rest of us get Oreos. In 2022, Duke, UNC and Kentucky will be taking our Oreos and leaving us with Fig Newtons.

This post makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't really apply to Carlson/Crowl. Nor to any of the other in-state kids with Gopher offer who are now playing for Sconnie.

Personally, I find it very depressing and alarming that Wisconsin seems to land a higher % of MINNESOTA kids than we do.

This post makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't really apply to Carlson/Crowl. Nor to any of the other in-state kids with Gopher offer who are now playing for Sconnie.

Personally, I find it very depressing and alarming that Wisconsin seems to land a higher % of MINNESOTA kids than we do.

That’s not necessarily a fair stat. Wisconsin has a bunch of MN kids who are “walk one” or were not offered. Even Davison wasn’t as high a priority as others. Carlson they won fair and square. Be more alarmed that they didn’t make go after a Davison over a Wright.

If you go look over on Buckyville, pretty sure they don’t think much of Gard. Not sure why others are elevating him to this pedestal. He’s won a little bit with Bo’s recruits but not nearly to the level of where they had been. Let’s see how they are with Happ gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly could play a role in anyones decision but Carlson made a choice that was based on something he observed a long time ago.

Tell us what he observed and how it affected his decision. Specifically.

Why the F are you posting on this board? There is zero chance you are a Gopher fan or actually attend games at Williams. Nearly every post you make is some kind of veiled reference that we have an inferior coaching staff. Seriously, prove us wrong. I've literally witnessed you going to the F-ING FOOTBALL BOARD to take shots at Pitino's conference record. You can't even stay in your lane.

GET. OFF. THIS. BOARD. Nobody cares about the last time you and Tony Bennett had sex. Seriously. You are the worst.

(I can't wait for the impending next post saying "Just because I'm a fan of the Gophers, does that mean I need to accept below average results....in 3, 2, 1 and....)

Well said.

built is a scourge of this board.

Pitino can still and Garcia and Walton and hit a home run in recruiting in state. He can still land Garcia and some combination of Berry/Sibley/Mashburn Jr, etc and hit a home run in recruiting overall. If he fails to land both Garcia and Walton, that's an absolute failure. You simply cannot explain having 5 top 100 kids in your state and not landing any of them. There is not combination of players the Gophers are currently connected to talent wise that would make up for missing Suggs, Garcia, Dainja, Walton, and Carlson. The best case scenario is still possible, but the worst case scenario is too.

As for Pitino versus Gard, nobody can argue Pitino is better. We had Murphy and Coffey last year while they had Happ and? Reuvers or Davison as their second best player? Wisconsin finished 14-6. The Gophers? 9-11. The previous year the Badgers lost both Trice and King for the entire season. They were predicted to finish behind the Gophers before their injuries. Their second best player that season was definitely Davison who was outside the top 100 recruits on most lists and was just a Freshman. They had two walk-ons regularly appear in games. They finished the year 7-11 in the B1G. The Gophers lost Lynch, Curry and Amir Coffey only played in 5 conference games but had Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason for the entire season . The Gophers went 4-14 and won just 2 games without Amir and Reggie. So many excuses were made for the Gophers on here, but they had more left than Wisconsin...and finished 3 games behind them.

Built should supply specifics then.

Top Bottom