All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

can all the negative nancies at least wait until our recruiting targets commit somewhere before complaining about this year's class?

can all the negative nancies at least wait until our recruiting targets commit somewhere before complaining about this year's class?

That is the funny thing about some fans, they have seen very little to nothing of any of the recruits. Further, if they like recruiting sites they would be wise to look at what the second 50 has actually accomplished versus the top 50. There will be dozens of examples of guys in the second 50 and beyond that win conference titles etc..

People did nothing but freak out all last year about the 2019 recruiting class, and it ended up pretty good. They're going to freak out regardless, so might as well let them.

I have heard Pitino is working so hard this year on recruiting that he has returned the rental car filled up every time. . .what more do you want from the guy?

When did we get back on sibley, is that a realistic commit? Glad to see they worked quickly to fill the open spot left by Madsen though.

People did nothing but freak out all last year about the 2019 recruiting class, and it ended up pretty good. They're going to freak out regardless, so might as well let them.

We'll see this year how good the 2019 class was. I have my doubts - it was rated high mainly because we took 4 recruits...

After attending summer recruiting and countless high school games last year i can share that this staff has worked their ass off. If someone wants to argue how they work, fine but they have put in a effort that matches anyone. Recruiting is really difficult. Just finding the right guys that you can actually get is tough. After you get them it gets even more difficult to get them to play together. Every year i see 30 teams minimum that have really wonderful talent but never realize their full potential as a team. Everyone wants great players, all fans and all coaches but even with all that talent that Duke had, they did not even win their conference. Marquette was loaded and they collapsed. UCLA had 3 MCDA's and were terrible. Getting the top 3 on a fans list does not guarantee a conference title, it could be the next 3 on the list that have more success.

This post makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After attending summer recruiting and countless high school games last year i can share that this staff has worked their ass off. If someone wants to argue how they work, fine but they have put in a effort that matches anyone. Recruiting is really difficult. Just finding the right guys that you can actually get is tough. After you get them it gets even more difficult to get them to play together. Every year i see 30 teams minimum that have really wonderful talent but never realize their full potential as a team. Everyone wants great players, all fans and all coaches but even with all that talent that Duke had, they did not even win their conference. Marquette was loaded and they collapsed. UCLA had 3 MCDA's and were terrible. Getting the top 3 on a fans list does not guarantee a conference title, it could be the next 3 on the list that have more success.

Well said. I think I read somewhere Duke hasn’t won or shared a regular season ACC title since 2010?

Last edited:

Everybody wants their team to land the top recruiting class in the nation. It hasn't really helped Duke much against Virginia though.

FWIW, the Gophers had the top recruiting class when Dutcher was coach and those guys that stayed at Minnesota did help us win the B1G.

Everybody wants their team to land the top recruiting class in the nation. It hasn't really helped Duke much against Virginia though.

FWIW, the Gophers had the top recruiting class when Dutcher was coach and those guys that stayed at Minnesota did help us win the B1G.

Duke has done very well against UVA but they are 12 games down to them in the conference since 2014. Everyone wants the best players but we seldom if ever know that they will make the best team. Better players obviously give you a better chance to be a great team.

We'll see this year how good the 2019 class was. I have my doubts - it was rated high mainly because we took 4 recruits...

People whine about lack of depth, but then we add 4 quality guys who seemingly should be able to add that and we rip the ranking? I could really care less about the rankings as they are flawed anyways. I'm excited to see a theme of adding tough players who play D and all will be positive culture guys. I love to see the newer staffs influence on players we are getting. I'd say the same about a class of Berry, Muscadin, and Gordon class (gasp no MN kids)

Duke has done very well against UVA but they are 12 games down to them in the conference since 2014. Everyone wants the best players but we seldom if ever know that they will make the best team. Better players obviously give you a better chance to be a great team.

Hard to make the best team with one year guys plain and simple. Hockey went through this years ago when programs finally caught on and took 20 yr old Juniors kids vs straight out of high school kids. Great quality teams require maturity and it's hard to expect that from an 18 yr old that may or may not have had much if any adversity on the basketball court. Look at the last run of championship teams. They all had talent yes, but it had guys who had been through some adverse situations and they didn't start more than 2 freshman.

getting a guy on campus....especially from out state...always means we have a chance. and the thing is with the PF spot, we can hard sell playing time, which is this day and age means a ton to a lot of guys. So you can guarantee that we will be using that pitch on Sibley. And you can guarantee we will be using that with Garcia when they meet with him tonight!

By no means is recruiting easy, I am sure it's awful on the coaches, however I don't think I feel bad for them, they are paid pretty well to coach/recruit basketball, I think we can expect plenty out of them.

And yes MN obviously isn't going to get every top recruit, but when someone asked above what I want from Pitino....First off 8-10, 6-12, 2-16, 11-7, 4-14, 9-11 we have had 1 season over .500 in the B1G, so lets start there. In 22 years WISC has 1 losing B1G campaign, ONE! There is no reason we are 50-70 in conference and should be excited or impressed by that.

I laugh as some of the people ragging on Duke, HA THEY HAVEN'T WON AN ACC TITLE SINCE 2010! You know what they do have since 2010, 2 national titles, I think their talent is doing just fine.

Can we please keep the discussion of pitino’s big ten record out of this thread and stick to recruiting updates for the next couple weeks?

It’s a high traffic period and there should be plenty of news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By no means is recruiting easy, I am sure it's awful on the coaches, however I don't think I feel bad for them, they are paid pretty well to coach/recruit basketball, I think we can expect plenty out of them.

And yes MN obviously isn't going to get every top recruit, but when someone asked above what I want from Pitino....First off 8-10, 6-12, 2-16, 11-7, 4-14, 9-11 we have had 1 season over .500 in the B1G, so lets start there. In 22 years WISC has 1 losing B1G campaign, ONE! There is no reason we are 50-70 in conference and should be excited or impressed by that.

I laugh as some of the people ragging on Duke, HA THEY HAVEN'T WON AN ACC TITLE SINCE 2010! You know what they do have since 2010, 2 national titles, I think their talent is doing just fine.

With Coach K's recruits I think Pitino would have had two national titles since 2010. :)

11-7 is the best conference record in like 22 years. The previous coach didn’t have a winning conference record season. It’s proven to be a challenge over the last 50 years. History has said if we do well we probably cheated to do so.
Let’s see how this season plays out...

Gophers need a great coach to do what UW did. Bo Ryan has the best winning % in conference history. It can only be done with a great coach. BGA, you can not prove that Pitino would have won anything with those players at Duke. To suggest what you did is to say that Pitino is equal to K. That may fly in a small circle amongt homers but is laughable.

Gophers need a great coach to do what UW did. Bo Ryan has the best winning % in conference history. It can only be done with a great coach. BGA, you can not prove that Pitino would have won anything with those players at Duke. To suggest what you did is to say that Pitino is equal to K. That may fly in a small circle amongt homers but is laughable.

Well, pretty safe bet that Coach K would not have won it all with the Gophers roster. Not saying Pitino would have won it all with the Duke roster, but think he'd have better odds than K with the Gophers roster.

Well, pretty safe bet that Coach K would not have won it all with the Gophers roster. Not saying Pitino would have won it all with the Duke roster, but think he'd have better odds than K with the Gophers roster.

K would not have won a national title with the Gophers roster but he would not have that roster and despite my not being a fan of his he did build incredible success and will always be known as a far better coach than Pitino.

K would not have won a national title with the Gophers roster but he would not have that roster and despite my not being a fan of his he did build incredible success and will always be known as a far better coach than Pitino.

Here is a question for you Built.

Here are the records of two young coaches, who do you think has done a better job of coaching?

Coach A:

8 years as a HC

Overall record is 111W-106L for a 51.2% record.

Conference record is 19W-37L for a 33.9%

No NCAA appearances

Coach B:

7 years as a HC

Overall record is 130W-106L for a 55.1% record.

Conference record is 40W-70L for a 36.4%

2 NCAA appearances

Here is a question for you Built.

Here are the records of two young coaches, who do you think has done a better job of coaching?

Coach A:

8 years as a HC

Overall record is 111W-106L for a 51.2% record.

Conference record is 19W-37L for a 33.9%

No NCAA appearances

Coach B:

7 years as a HC

Overall record is 130W-106L for a 55.1% record.

Conference record is 40W-70L for a 36.4%

2 NCAA appearances

You counted Army ? You do know what the qualifications were to make the NCAA's were for those 8 years you counted. What of the 1 st 6 years at a power conference school ? Our guy has one of the lowest 10% of coaches given this long at a power conference school. Are you predicting that Pitino will have a better career than a coach i do not even like ? Or are you just saying he is better than K period ? What is this really about ? Pitino's own father knows who the best in the game are and he would not even name his own child. Where do you actually rank him among all power 6 coaches ?

You counted Army ? You do know what the qualifications were to make the NCAA's were for those 8 years you counted. What of the 1 st 6 years at a power conference school ? Our guy has one of the lowest 10% of coaches given this long at a power conference school. Are you predicting that Pitino will have a better career than a coach i do not even like ? Or are you just saying he is better than K period ? What is this really about ? Pitino's own father knows who the best in the game are and he would not even name his own child. Where do you actually rank him among all power 6 coaches ?

The point is that people had patience with Coach K and his record early in his career. No one is arguing that K is not the far better coach only that we don't know what is ahead for Pitino, just as it was unknown about coach K after 8 years. No one was calling him great back then based on his record.

I believe he was only trying to illustrate that Pitino still has potential for a very good career going forward. Obviously not to the level of coach K as he has the most all time wins in ncaa history, right? Can we talk recruiting again, this is an exciting month!

Is this even a factor?

The point is that people had patience with Coach K and his record early in his career. No one is arguing that K is not the far better coach only that we don't know what is ahead for Pitino, just as it was unknown about coach K after 8 years. No one was calling him great back then based on his record.

By the time he got the Duke job, Bob Knight was telling people that K was as good as he had seen. Other basketball people saw the culture he built and he won the conference earlier than we got done here. If someone wants the patience approach fine. Already stated that i supported him coming back this year. Just finish ahead of UW once in 7 years ! Apologize to the board for my role in the thread hijack. I ran the data on coaches that achieved on a high level and they all won their conference by year 6 in a power conference. Early success portends greatness.

By the time he got the Duke job, Bob Knight was telling people that K was as good as he had seen. Other basketball people saw the culture he built and he won the conference earlier than we got done here. If someone wants the patience approach fine. Already stated that i supported him coming back this year. Just finish ahead of UW once in 7 years ! Apologize to the board for my role in the thread hijack. I ran the data on coaches that achieved on a high level and they all won their conference by year 6 in a power conference. Early success portends greatness.

Built Badgers always sings the praises of u w. Never fails.

Top Bottom