All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Sounds great, but isn't that what every non-blue blood is trying to do? And Wisc found those type players, but they also tried (successfully and unsuccessfully) to recruit local high star talent. Such as Dekker who was a huge reason for their success during his time.

Said it was hard to do. UW was incredibly successful before Dekker. They had a method on finding fit, being great at development, teaching team efficiency. They had a great staff. They got state building blocks in Kelley,Kowske , went out of state to get Vershaw from Indiana, Linton from Illinois, Penney from New Zealand. They continued that with state kids like Harris, Wilkinson, but added Cam Taylor, Leuer etc.. from out of state. And on and on it went. Bennett at WSU of all places found players from all over, same at UVA and the emphasis was on character,fit, skill, development and efficiency. Gabe and Daniel fit anywhere, the other out of state pieces are plenty. Now coach em up, require fundamental precision and defense. I really admire Pitino for the hard work they put in on the 2020 class. The previous staff would not have put in 1/10 that time. They really just need one of that group to believe he is the best coach for them, their best opportunity.

Said it was hard to do. UW was incredibly successful before Dekker. They had a method on finding fit, being great at development, teaching team efficiency. They had a great staff. They got state building blocks in Kelley,Kowske , went out of state to get Vershaw from Indiana, Linton from Illinois, Penney from New Zealand. They continued that with state kids like Harris, Wilkinson, but added Cam Taylor, Leuer etc.. from out of state. And on and on it went. Bennett at WSU of all places found players from all over, same at UVA and the emphasis was on character,fit, skill, development and efficiency. Gabe and Daniel fit anywhere, the other out of state pieces are plenty. Now coach em up, require fundamental precision and defense. I really admire Pitino for the hard work they put in on the 2020 class. The previous staff would not have put in 1/10 that time. They really just need one of that group to believe he is the best coach for them, their best opportunity.

I really believe this is the key to Wisconsin and Virginia success! It is easier to coach up defense and ball control than it is to coach quality high-speed offense. Plus, you can coach defense and ball control to lesser athletic players as long as they are willing to bust their butt to play that way and not have an ego to play playground. Then when you have success, recruit better athletes who fit into your culture.

Trying to sell high speed offense which is what most young studs want is pretty much what everyone does to some extent. Being patient and getting the right guys to build your program is hard.

Agreed. Peoples judgement of recruiting is borderline maddening at times. Lets get good players who value the U. Who cares where they are from.

Every day I come here and hope to see that one of the big in state kids has committed... When is everyone announcing?

Every day I come here and hope to see that one of the big in state kids has committed... When is everyone announcing?

I think we'll start seeing movement in September

Hoping Ty Barry pulls the trigger on his visit. Nothing wrong with a PG who can shoot. As for Gethro, not sure how committable it is, but never a bad thing to get a visit from a guy with a KU offer. KSU and TT offers are good as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not Gopher recruiting news but it would be gigantic Big10 news if Michigan pulls Walker Kessler in the next few weeks. Further Conference news is that Hoiberg is off to a very impressive start at Nebraska. He simply appeals to the kids he is after.

I agree with 'jovs'. When our team has been successful, a significant portion of the roster is made up on Minnesota kids. We are just not likely going to get high-level kids from outside the state on a regular basis. When Clem Haskins was coach, I recall that we consistently got the top player in the state (every year?) even when that player wasn't all-that-great. Przybilla, Lynch, Martin, Nzigamazabo, Kolander, Jacobsen, Thomas, Loge, Winter, Sanden. The last five of those made up almost 1/2 of what was (and then wasn't) a Final Four team. Yes, we 'hit' on a few out-of-state players (James, Tarver, Harris, Lewis, B. Jackson) but I don't recall any of those guys being 'game-changing' recruits besides maybe Courtney James and Bobby Jackson (out of JuCo). Tarver, Harris, and Lewis were mid-level recruits much like we've been getting now. The difference is that we are not getting the Przybilla's, Lynch's, Jacobsen's, and Thomas' from in-state now.

I agree with 'jovs'. When our team has been successful, a significant portion of the roster is made up on Minnesota kids. We are just not likely going to get high-level kids from outside the state on a regular basis. When Clem Haskins was coach, I recall that we consistently got the top player in the state (every year?) even when that player wasn't all-that-great. Przybilla, Lynch, Martin, Nzigamazabo, Kolander, Jacobsen, Thomas, Loge, Winter, Sanden. The last five of those made up almost 1/2 of what was (and then wasn't) a Final Four team. Yes, we 'hit' on a few out-of-state players (James, Tarver, Harris, Lewis, B. Jackson) but I don't recall any of those guys being 'game-changing' recruits besides maybe Courtney James and Bobby Jackson (out of JuCo). Tarver, Harris, and Lewis were mid-level recruits much like we've been getting now. The difference is that we are not getting the Przybilla's, Lynch's, Jacobsen's, and Thomas' from in-state now.

Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, Oturo, and Gabe say hi. They all equal the recruiting profile of the guys you mentioned. I also recall Khalid El Amin (closest comparison to a Tyus or Matthew Hurt in the 90s) not coming here too. The bigger point is that recruiting has drastically changed since the 1990s. Kids go and come from all over now no matter what program due to the National AAU scene. It’s not an apples to apples comparison nor should it be the path we follow as we build our program back up. Our programs success will not ever hinge on if we get MN kids or not. It will rely on what and who we recruit and how we develop them once they get here.

Last edited:

Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, Oturo, and Gabe say hi. They all equal the recruiting profile of the guys you mentioned. I also recall Khalid El Amin (closest comparison to a Tyus or Matthew Hurt in the 90s) not coming here too. The bigger point is that recruiting has drastically changed since the 1990s. Kids go and come from all over now no matter what program due to the National AAU scene. It’s not an apples to apples comparison nor should it be the path we follow as we build our back up. Our programs success will not ever hinder on if we get MN kids or not. It will hinder on what and who we recruit and how we develop them once they get here.

Tell them BleedGopher said hi back. Throw them a fist bump if you can from me.

Go Gophers!!

My concern is that the state is producing B1G championship talent, what we end up with is middle of the pack talent that will be on the bubble for years to come. If that meets your expectations so be it. We are still a long way from signing day and that may all change in the next month or two, I remain hopeful but not comfortable with the way recruiting has been going.

My concern is that the state is producing B1G championship talent, what we end up with is middle of the pack talent that will be on the bubble for years to come. If that meets your expectations so be it. We are still a long way from signing day and that may all change in the next month or two, I remain hopeful but not comfortable with the way recruiting has been going.

13/50 of the top 50 overall have committed and 33/100 of the top 100 have committed. Still have plenty of time but if we can't grab a commitment by end of Sept/early Oct, I will start to be a touch worried.

Who says that the state is producing Big10 championship talent. Sure if you get the top 3 in your state. 20 schools can say that if they keep their best kids in the state home, never happens. We had better ranked classes than Purdue 3 0f the last 4 years but look how well they did. Same with UW, Yet they out performed us. Look at Michigan , they won a ton with one highly ranked class out of 4. UVA , we had better class rankings in 3 of the last 4 years ! You have to get the right ones and do great with what you get. The right ones are Gabe, Daniel types and then hitting gold on the from out of state , especially reliant on great development and efficient play.

My expectations are that we recruit solid guys who will defend and get better. I think we have the staff now currently to find them and develop them (Gabe, Tre Williams, and Ihnen). I don't feel our previous assistants were great at either the developmental side (Ben J and Kimani), and identifying talent side (Kimani and I'd even throw in Conroy). I have full confidence in Rob Jeter's influence on Pitino as well as Linsteds ability to find kids as well.

I agree that great development and efficient play make a huge difference but it helps when you have highly rated recruits like Guy,Jerome and Hunter. i think the key is finding recruits in 30 -100 range that will stay for three or four years and developing them. realistically Mn best chance of getting them type of recruits is getting the instate recruits. Staying home and playing in front of family and friends is still a big draw. I read a quote from Izzo he said one of the hardest thing in recruiting is going into a recruits home state and getting them to leave. Kinda crazy but I think the media in MN make it more difficult for the gophers to recruit instate kids. you got Doogie who basically encourages recruits he interviews to go elsewhere see Geno Crandal interview.

I agree that great development and efficient play make a huge difference but it helps when you have highly rated recruits like Guy,Jerome and Hunter. i think the key is finding recruits in 30 -100 range that will stay for three or four years and developing them. realistically Mn best chance of getting them type of recruits is getting the instate recruits. Staying home and playing in front of family and friends is still a big draw. I read a quote from Izzo he said one of the hardest thing in recruiting is going into a recruits home state and getting them to leave. Kinda crazy but I think the media in MN make it more difficult for the gophers to recruit instate kids. you got Doogie who basically encourages recruits he interviews to go elsewhere see Geno Crandal interview.

Hunter was rated below 100 when offered. He missed his HS junior year with a leg injury. Jerome was rated out of the top 200 when offered out of the 100 when verbaled. Guy was highly ranked all along. The recruits IZZO is after are kids with big time offers that do leave the state they play in. Everyone has a roster that reveals where their players are from. Take out the walk ons and you will see they come from all over. iN STATE KIDS ARE IMPORTANT but not a reliable pipeline for anyone, especially in a state that has not for 10 straight years provided high end talent in abundance. Plus, these kids grow up being exposed to a ton of great choices, thick in program success, great climate and most of all fantastic coaches. Those coaches won conference titles way before they had Hunter, Guy ,Jerome type. Hell Hunter redshirted to develop !

Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, Oturo, and Gabe say hi. They all equal the recruiting profile of the guys you mentioned. I also recall Khalid El Amin (closest comparison to a Tyus or Matthew Hurt in the 90s) not coming here too. The bigger point is that recruiting has drastically changed since the 1990s. Kids go and come from all over now no matter what program due to the National AAU scene. It’s not an apples to apples comparison nor should it be the path we follow as we build our back up. Our programs success will not ever hinder on if we get MN kids or not. It will hinder on what and who we recruit and how we develop them once they get here.

+1

If we relied on MN kids only each year to take us into the tournament and beyond we would never have a full roster.

If we relied on MN kids only each year to take us into the tournament and beyond we would never have a full roster.

If we could get the kids we want and had only Minnesota kids, we would have a pretty good team right now:

PG: Jones/Wright/Davidson
SG: Kalesheur/Sacar
SF: Hurt/Hurt/Sacar
PF: Hurt/Reuvers/Omersa
C: Oturu/John

You'd have 40% of Duke's starting lineup! Suggs Garcia and Walton would be coming in next year. Couple of lucky breaks and you could win it all.

The hockey team used to do this under Woog. Only Minnesotans! But the U had the clout to close the borders and St.Cloud, Mankato and Bemidgi weren't Division 1 yet. Plus Woog never won the whole thing and his successor did as soon as he added a couple of out of state/country kids.

Top Bottom