All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

You're wrong bud.
I am? Gabe took an in official back in 2017. So I am not wrong about him being on the radar, I am also not wrong about the fact that relationships don't start at offers, which is the overall point of my post. The other poster proved my point when he said Fran showed up to a game his sophomore year and then just recently offered him nearly two years later, I would guess Fran would have talk to him if he went and watched, be a waste of trip otherwise. I'll concede that Gabe is recently more of a priority, but don't really see the big deal there

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Carlson is probably going to Xavier and if I don't have my maroon and gold colored glasses then I am guessing Suggs is going to Gonzaga if he wants to play basketball. Even though Dainja is a Baylor commit, I feel like his destination is more TBD.

I do believe they have a chance at Garcia, Madsen and Walton. I will add that if Garcia turns out to be a miss, then I would think an offer would go to Crowl and I think they would have a solid chance at landing him assuming it's not too late in the game.
Aren't they supposed to watch Crowl soon? Gotta think an offer would come then

Honestly would anyone be disappointed if we landed Madsen, Walton, and Crowl?

I'm not saying that we should quit recruiting others, I am simply asking, what would people think of that class?
I think we would have a solid big man, a good three and D guard and a wing where the entire his gym is in range. Anyone else you can make room for

I am? Gabe took an in official back in 2017. So I am not wrong about him being on the radar, I am also not wrong about the fact that relationships don't start at offers, which is the overall point of my post. The other poster proved my point when he said Fran showed up to a game his sophomore year and then just recently offered him nearly two years later, I would guess Fran would have talk to him if he went and watched, be a waste of trip otherwise. I'll concede that Gabe is recently more of a priority, but don't really see the big deal there

He took an unofficial, not an official. I don't think he necessarily even has to meet with the coaches for it to qualify as an unofficial visit, so who knows how involved that was. You're right that relationships don't usually start when they get offered, but it does sound like the Pitino/Madsen relationship is pretty new.

Last edited:

Look man, the Madsens live next door to me. I dont think they even went on that unofficial they were just invited. This recruitment is just beginning.

I'm setting my expectations low at this point. Crowl, and/or Madsen/Walton is the ceiling for this class and Minnesota kids. Suggs is going to Gonzaga, Garcia is going to Kansas, Carlson is going to Xavier, and Dainja is set at Baylor.

I'm setting my expectations low at this point. Crowl, and/or Madsen/Walton is the ceiling for this class and Minnesota kids. Suggs is going to Gonzaga, Garcia is going to Kansas, Carlson is going to Xavier, and Dainja is set at Baylor.

In-state you could be right, but I think we might get Garcia. Plus out of state targets are available too. I know we are on some out of state PGs one from Texas and I can't remember the other.

Look man, the Madsens live next door to me. I dont think they even went on that unofficial they were just invited. This recruitment is just beginning.
Will agree to disagree, but I think you're missing the point of my post. Anyways. Are you guys like Homer Simpson and Ned Flanders?

A solid 4 year wing and post is never a bad class. Haven't seen Crowl play, but it sounds like he's been improving and works hard. Madsen or Walton both have good length and would seem to be able to play big 10 basketball. We have wing depth and can allow for guys to develop.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RJ thinks we would only take one of Madsen and Walton.

Personally, I'd love to take them both.

If Ihnen can play the 4 then I don't see why you couldn't take both, need one big for 2019 but that should be enough if that is the case. I am assuming Madsen and Walton can switch off between the 2 and 3.

If Ihnen can play the 4 then I don't see why you couldn't take both, need one big for 2019 but that should be enough if that is the case. I am assuming Madsen and Walton can switch off between the 2 and 3.
Two's and threes are pretty interchangeable in terms of what Pitino wants to do. I would take both, especially if Suggs is less likely, if all three want to be here, you can make room for Suggs. I would be thrilled with Walton, Madsen and Garcia.
As far as today goes hopefully an official gets set up with Madsen, anything else is gravy.

RJ thinks we would only take one of Madsen and Walton.

Personally, I'd love to take them both.

I think RJ is right though....our positional breakdown for the 2020 season before any commits looks like this....
PG-Carr (JR), Greenlee (SO)
Wings-Gabe(JR), Willis(SR), Williams(SO), Ihnen(SO)
4-Curry (SR), Jarvis(JR), Ihnen (SO) (will be interesting to see what Curry ends up doing)
5-Oturu(JR), Freeman(SO) (assuming Oturu doesn't go pro)

so looking at that on the wings we would have Gabe locked in as 1 starter. With a SR Willis, SO Williams, & SO Ihnen battling it out for the other spot. Lets say 1 of Walton/Madsen commit. 1st, I would agree that im not sure the Gophers would take another wing. & 2nd, even if the Gophers would I would for sure say that whomever the guy is that hasn't committed would take us off his list as that is a pretty good log jam for wings.....

Two's and threes are pretty interchangeable in terms of what Pitino wants to do. I would take both, especially if Suggs is less likely, if all three want to be here, you can make room for Suggs. I would be thrilled with Walton, Madsen and Garcia.
As far as today goes hopefully an official gets set up with Madsen, anything else is gravy.

I would be thrilled with Walton, Madsen and Garcia as well....but like I said I would say even if the Gophers wanted to take both Madsen & Walton that the odds the 1 would commit if the other is already committed is slim

but heck I would be thrill with 1 of Madsen/Walton & Garcia.

I would be thrilled with Walton, Madsen and Garcia as well....but like I said I would say even if the Gophers wanted to take both Madsen & Walton that the odds the 1 would commit if the other is already committed is slim

but heck I would be thrill with 1 of Madsen/Walton & Garcia.
True, I think Long is up there too for PG targets, seems like Jeter loves his defense. Then there's Mashburn, Pitinos are close to them still, one to keep an eye on

True, I think Long is up there too for PG targets, seems like Jeter loves his defense. Then there's Mashburn, Pitinos are close to them still, one to keep an eye on

Suggs and Mashburn and the 1 and 2, I can see it now.

Who is Long?

I think RJ is right though....our positional breakdown for the 2020 season before any commits looks like this....
PG-Carr (JR), Greenlee (SO)
Wings-Gabe(JR), Willis(SR), Williams(SO), Ihnen(SO)
4-Curry (SR), Jarvis(JR), Ihnen (SO) (will be interesting to see what Curry ends up doing)
5-Oturu(JR), Freeman(SO) (assuming Oturu doesn't go pro)

so looking at that on the wings we would have Gabe locked in as 1 starter. With a SR Willis, SO Williams, & SO Ihnen battling it out for the other spot. Lets say 1 of Walton/Madsen commit. 1st, I would agree that im not sure the Gophers would take another wing. & 2nd, even if the Gophers would I would for sure say that whomever the guy is that hasn't committed would take us off his list as that is a pretty good log jam for wings.....

Of course they would take a wing. Offensively they want to play four out much more, so the key is who can guard a bigger player, a point, etc. Ihnen can guard wings and a bigger player, a four, and play on the perimeter. Williams can guard three positions, Gabe can guard three positions. Need to think of defensive flexibility more than offensive position. Look at Virginia, Texas Tech, Michigan, Wisconsin, even MSU. That’s the model Pitino speaks too, but wasn’t really able to play - he had a “four” in Murph who couldn’t guard a “five” or a “three” so it limited what he could do offensively because he had to have two inside oriented players.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course they would take a wing. Offensively they want to play four out much more, so the key is who can guard a bigger player, a point, etc. Ihnen can guard wings and a bigger player, a four, and play on the perimeter. Williams can guard three positions, Gabe can guard three positions. Need to think of defensive flexibility more than offensive position. Look at Virginia, Texas Tech, Michigan, Wisconsin, even MSU. That’s the model Pitino speaks too, but wasn’t really able to play - he had a “four” in Murph who couldn’t guard a “five” or a “three” so it limited what he could do offensively because he had to have two inside oriented players.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh for sure they take another wing....but my point was im not sure they would want to take 2....and even if they want to take 2 it brings up a whole other question on if 2 wings would actually commit here with our roster make up as is.

but like you said...will be interesting how it evolves...the ever changing roster landscape in college basketball and who knows...

Per the Daily Gopher:

2020 Recruiting - Position Needs

"So what are the needs in this class? With 4 scholarships you can really bring two guards and two frontcourt players. But if we need to be more specific the Gophers really need three things.

1 - A dynamic playmaker who can contribute immediately. This 2020-21 team is going to be pretty talented and deep. Adding one guy who can come in and make an immediate impact as a freshman might take this from a top 25 team to a top 15 caliber team capable of beating anybody.

2 - Power Forward. We are OK in the frontcourt but thinner at power forward. There is an opportunity for a freshman PF to come in and start immediately.

3 - A point guard. Marcus Carr is the team’s true point and he is just a sophomore but getting another ballhandler is critical in this class. This might be less of a priority with the signing of Greenlee, but he is such an unknown that adding another point wouldn’t be the worst idea. Under Pitino the Gophers have not had two reliable ball handlers on the roster at the same time.

4 - Get another shooter. I want a shooter with that 4th spot. You cannot have enough of them and by the time this guy gets on campus, Kalscheur will be a junior."

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019...nd-a-loaded-class-in-minnesota-richard-pitino
Roster for 2021-2022 right now:
Oturu/Freeman
Omersa/Curry
Williams/Ihnen
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Greenlee

IMO, Suggs/Garcia are 100% takes regardless of position. After that, we're past Dainja now and I think the staff wants Walton OR Madsen but if both jump to commit, I think you have to take both 'em. I think the staff has made a huge mistake not taking Steven Crowl right away. Crowl visited and was ready to commit on the spot. This is a 6'10 skilled player -- yes, he needs to fill out and get more physical but come on. Top 150 player in your backyard and he wants to commit. If Pitino doesn't land Garcia or Carlson, he deserves tons of crap for this miss. Iowa has now offered Gabe Madsen, might take his twin brother too and has offered Steven Crowl. I don't get the sense that Minnesota was too hard after Dainja or Carlson, instead focusing on Garcia with everything they have. Better pay off for Richard! But I do think Crowl/Madsen/Walton would be a great class and I tend to think either Willis or Curry will grad transfer elsewhere. Just seems inevitable someone will transfer and it might be one of those two. Pitino is setting himself up for a possible situation where Greenlee and Freeman are projects taking up scholarships so he can't do something like offer Gabe Madsen and his brother (who can shoot the lights out by the way) so you get nothing.

Carlson is probably going to Xavier and if I don't have my maroon and gold colored glasses then I am guessing Suggs is going to Gonzaga if he wants to play basketball. Even though Dainja is a Baylor commit, I feel like his destination is more TBD.

I do believe they have a chance at Garcia, Madsen and Walton. I will add that if Garcia turns out to be a miss, then I would think an offer would go to Crowl and I think they would have a solid chance at landing him assuming it's not too late in the game.
They should have already offered Crowl.

They should have already offered Crowl.
Yeah I don't understand that, reminds me of Reuvers as a pkayer, hopefully his desire to commit would still be there. No reason not to take both him and Garcia. Garcia won't be around for four years

Roster for 2021-2022 right now:
Oturu/Freeman
Omersa/Curry
Williams/Ihnen
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Greenlee

IMO, Suggs/Garcia are 100% takes regardless of position. After that, we're past Dainja now and I think the staff wants Walton OR Madsen but if both jump to commit, I think you have to take both 'em. I think the staff has made a huge mistake not taking Steven Crowl right away. Crowl visited and was ready to commit on the spot. This is a 6'10 skilled player -- yes, he needs to fill out and get more physical but come on. Top 150 player in your backyard and he wants to commit. If Pitino doesn't land Garcia or Carlson, he deserves tons of crap for this miss. Iowa has now offered Gabe Madsen, might take his twin brother too and has offered Steven Crowl. I don't get the sense that Minnesota was too hard after Dainja or Carlson, instead focusing on Garcia with everything they have. Better pay off for Richard! But I do think Crowl/Madsen/Walton would be a great class and I tend to think either Willis or Curry will grad transfer elsewhere. Just seems inevitable someone will transfer and it might be one of those two. Pitino is setting himself up for a possible situation where Greenlee and Freeman are projects taking up scholarships so he can't do something like offer Gabe Madsen and his brother (who can shoot the lights out by the way) so you get nothing.

You're talking a lot of sense. Excellent post.

I'm totally with you, we should've offered Crowl on his unofficial. All the chatter is that he was ready to commit on the spot. Apparently he's a big Gopher fan; he's also a kid likely to rise this summer and garner some more interesting offers.

As far as Garcia goes, I'm more optimistic than some. Would be an awesome get, and it sure seems like we're still in it. But it's gonna be an uphill battle with his ridiculous offer list.

As stated previously, we should ABSOLUTELY take both Walton and Madsen should they both want in. You can never have too much shooting, and besides, it's not like they're identical players.

Yeah I don't understand that, reminds me of Reuvers as a pkayer, hopefully his desire to commit would still be there. No reason not to take both him and Garcia. Garcia won't be around for four years

Unless they don't want to both go to the same school- because they play the same spot. Then the coaches have a dilemma to decide if they should wait for Garcia or take the commit from Crowl. It is always more complicated than it looks. I trust that the coaches understand the situation.

Unless they don't want to both go to the same school- because they play the same spot. Then the coaches have a dilemma to decide if they should wait for Garcia or take the commit from Crowl. It is always more complicated than it looks. I trust that the coaches understand the situation.

They don't really play the same position, nor are they similar players in terms of recruiting profile. Garcia is not going to be threatened/put off by Crowl committing, let's put it that way,

Top Bottom