All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Garcia narrowing his list to 7 SEVEN must mean he is no where close to a decision? And wouldn’t seem to suggest he’s a Gopher lean either?

Garcia narrowing his list to 7 SEVEN must mean he is no where close to a decision? And wouldn’t seem to suggest he’s a Gopher lean either?

What does this have to do with having a gopher lean or not

I suppose it implies he’s seriously considering several other options still. Could also result in another scenario where the local recruit feels it unnecessary to take an official visit here because he lives close, and so he uses them on other schools that maybe get a better opportunity to make a big impression.

I suppose final 5 might imply that they’re just the five schools he’s using his officials on, but he has a stronger leaning toward one over others.

I’m hoping he eliminates Indiana, Kentucky, and maybe Marquette. I assume Minnesota will be on the list.

If it were me and I’m leaning toward the Gophers I’m not going to narrow my list down to 7. It would be 2 or 3. Seven says to me I have no idea where I’m going but...”this is silly, I gotta make a decision so I’ll cut my list to 7, maybe that’ll help me figure this all out”

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I take it as a good sign that Dawson Garcia was back for an unofficial yesterday. I don't think you should read anything in to him releasing a top 7 unless the Gophers are not on it. A big time recruit released a top 5 a month or so ago and then committed somewhere within a day or two.

With the visits this weekend, I kind of feel like Sibley is the more likely of the two to commit in the next 48 hours or so. Muscadin has a visit lined up with Kansas and I assume he will want to take that unless he feels like he's a plan B there. Sibley is interesting because he did pretty well early in the EYBL, but really struggled statistically in the Peach Jam. I'd be interested to read takes from people who've seen him play a lot as I think his success will likely be determined by whether or not he's skilled enough for the 3 as he's slight for the 4 even in a small ball lineup. The Gophers also have Gordon coming in next week which puts a little pressure on Sibley as I don't think the Gophers could take both with the need for a ball handler and the seeming desire to add a center too(not to mention whatever shot the have at Dawson Garcia who obviously trumps positional desire/need).

Maybe I'm crazy, but is it possible that Garcia is still considering seven schools (hence the forthcoming announcement)? It also seems possible that there could be a hierarchy within his top seven. He's eliminated dozens and dozens of schools, and will ultimately choose one, but there are six more that need to be eliminated. Why do we read so much into these decisions? We assume the high school kid is in his room twisting his mustache figuring how best to screw over the schools recruiting him. Maybe he simply hasn't decided yet. By the way, if he ultimately chooses to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean he was never considering the Gophers. (That may be my least favorite take of all.)

That being said, I really hope he picks our favorite team. He feels like the kind of guy that could be an immediate difference maker on both ends. Add Garcia and maybe Suggs thinks twice. Garcia, Suggs and and Walton and we're rolling. Garcia, Walton and Mashburn or Berry or even Muscadin would be amazing, too. Even without Garcia, we seem to have a good shot with some really solid players. We'll all breath easier when the first domino drops.

I'm still not convinced we need a 1 year rental of Suggs and think our dream recruiting group would not include him.

Garcia
Walton
Mashburn
Muscadin

Any three of this group of four including Garcia might be our best option. Could Garcia be a one and done? Maybe. But he looks more like a two year player to me. Carr has three years of eligibility and does not strike me as an early entry candidate. So we could roll out the following next year for the two deep lineup:

PG: Carr, Mashburn, Greenlee (Pretty sure Mash can beat Greenlee out)
SG: Kalesheur, Williams, Walton
SF: Ihnen, Willis
PF: Garcia, Curry, Omersa
C: Oturu, Freeman

Sub out Walton or Mashburn for Muscadin and you still look very solid across the board. Plus 3 players all 4* or higher is freaking amazing if we pull it off.

Last edited:

I'm still not convinced we need a 1 year rental of Suggs and think our dream recruiting group would not include him.

Garcia
Walton
Mashburn
Muscadin

Any three of this group of four including Garcia might be our best option. Could Garcia be a one and done? Maybe. But he looks more like a two year player to me. Carr has three years of eligibility and does not strike me as an early entry candidate. So we could roll out the following next year for the two deep lineup:

PG: Carr, Mashburn, Greenlee (Pretty sure Mash can beat Greenlee out)
SG: Kalesheur, Williams, Walton
SF: Ihnen, Willis
PF: Garcia, Omersa
C: Oturu, Freeman

Sub out Walton or Mashburn for Muscadin and you still look very solid across the board. Plus 3 players all 4* or higher is freaking amazing if we pull it off.
What about Curry?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I always forget Curry!

I’m hoping he eliminates Indiana, Kentucky, and maybe Marquette. I assume Minnesota will be on the list.

I'm going with Kentucky, Indiana, Marquette, Kansas, Minnesota, and North Carolina, not sure who his seventh will be.

Duke, he's going to reverse recruit.

Maybe I'm crazy, but is it possible that Garcia is still considering seven schools (hence the forthcoming announcement)? It also seems possible that there could be a hierarchy within his top seven. He's eliminated dozens and dozens of schools, and will ultimately choose one, but there are six more that need to be eliminated. Why do we read so much into these decisions? We assume the high school kid is in his room twisting his mustache figuring how best to screw over the schools recruiting him. Maybe he simply hasn't decided yet. By the way, if he ultimately chooses to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean he was never considering the Gophers. (That may be my least favorite take of all.)

That being said, I really hope he picks our favorite team. He feels like the kind of guy that could be an immediate difference maker on both ends. Add Garcia and maybe Suggs thinks twice. Garcia, Suggs and and Walton and we're rolling. Garcia, Walton and Mashburn or Berry or even Muscadin would be amazing, too. Even without Garcia, we seem to have a good shot with some really solid players. We'll all breath easier when the first domino drops.

I'm thinking you wrote 300 words to say you agree with my 10,000 mile appraisal of the situation? :cool:

I'm thinking you wrote 300 words to say you agree with my 10,000 mile appraisal of the situation? :cool:

Yeah, I caught myself typing in circles for a minute there...

I just get tired of the grand conspiracies drummed up by people who get mad when a teenager they've never met doesn't think exactly how they do. Heaven forbid they'd have some uncertainty...or change their mind based on new information...or form their own opinions.

Doesn't look good with him wearing a Butler Basketball shirt! Looks like Butler was also in on that day and he just returned from a second trip to ND.

....That says BUYER basketball, not Butler basketball....

Doesn't look good with him wearing a Butler Basketball shirt! Looks like Butler was also in on that day and he just returned from a second trip to ND.

It’s not Butler, it’s Guyer, and his smile in the pic with Pitino vs Butler is bigger, maybe Pitino was tickling him.

Last edited:

Appears that Garcia has a final 7 of Minnesota, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Marquette, Memphis and Indiana

Appears that Garcia has a final 7 of Minnesota, UNC, Kansas, Arizona, Marquette, Memphis and Indiana

If he goes elsewhere I will hope it is at least out of the B1G, fortunately looks like us and Indiana are the only remaning from the conference and can't really see him picking Indi over UNC, Kansas, or Memphis

I view Crowl as one of those guys that you kind of get skeptical of us not going after him hard enough, and conversely I would have been skeptical if we took him

I view Crowl as one of those guys that you kind of get skeptical of us not going after him hard enough, and conversely I would have been skeptical if we took him

As far as this board goes, that’s almost every Minnesota high school kid outside of top 100 that plays d1 or d2 anywhere else.

I’m sure Crowl will do just find and we will hear about him for ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom