All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

What if Crawl accepts immediately? That's the tricky part about offers. If you make them early, especially to local kids, you better be sure that they are a high priority or you take the chance that they are going to cost you someone better.

Built usually drives me crazy, but once in a while shares something that makes sense. One of those is that recruiting at our level, coaches have to be able to identify multiple players that meet the same need, and take the first commitment and not get caught waiting around and lose out on "someone better." That makes sense to me. If there are multiple guys who meet the same recruiting need, take the first one who accepts and move on. Sitting around waiting can burn you in the current cycle because you miss out on players you wanted or could have had, and stalls the next cycle because you're caught trying to fill roster spots at the last minute. I have no idea what the pecking order is for any of these guys, but they have to be ready to move and not get caught waiting/hoping for something that may not happen. I think it's a pretty rare recruit that's worth waiting too long on, and if they are going to wait, they have to have some good assurance that it's possible.

Built usually drives me crazy, but once in a while shares something that makes sense. One of those is that recruiting at our level, coaches have to be able to identify multiple players that meet the same need, and take the first commitment and not get caught waiting around and lose out on "someone better." That makes sense to me. If there are multiple guys who meet the same recruiting need, take the first one who accepts and move on. Sitting around waiting can burn you in the current cycle because you miss out on players you wanted or could have had, and stalls the next cycle because you're caught trying to fill roster spots at the last minute. I have no idea what the pecking order is for any of these guys, but they have to be ready to move and not get caught waiting/hoping for something that may not happen. I think it's a pretty rare recruit that's worth waiting too long on, and if they are going to wait, they have to have some good assurance that it's possible.

I know football is a different beast, but I feel like this is how Fleck operates and I agree with it. It seems like Fleck recruits positions of need really hard early on in the cycle and will take commits from players who are maybe a little bit lower ranked. I think there is a lot of truth in the idea that once you get outside the top 50 players in a given class, it's a bit of a crapshoot. I know very little about Crowl, but if he's a solid player who fits our roster then I'm okay with it. It gives you something to build on and allows you to focus more of your energy on a big fish like Suggs.

I doubt Dainja will be a Gopher with two centers already on the roster, especially with Oturu being one of them.

I doubt Dainja will be a Gopher with two centers already on the roster, especially with Oturu being one of them.

I'm sure if Dainja is as good as we think he is, Pitino would have not problem playing them both together. And I doubt he would be scared off by Freeman.

If we don't get him, it won't be because we have two centers on next years roster.

I don’t think Freeman would scare him off. As far as oturu he could very well be in the nba after next year

I don’t think Freeman would scare him off. As far as oturu he could very well be in the nba after next year

Could be, but if Dainja signs in the fall that won't be known, if he waits until spring than I think there is a definite possibility. I don't think Dainja and Oturu can share the court together, floor spacing and options would be worse with that combination than it was with Murphy and Oturu.

Do we want a kid if he's afraid of not being good enough to earn playing time? Dainja seems like a tough kid and isn't afraid of earning his own time and if he is afraid, then I don't want him.

I see Dainja being both a 4 or 5. He's not going to be scared off by Freeman.

I watch Dainja destroy Freeman at Gophers Team Basketball Camp with Pitino and Jeter watching. I am sure he is not afraid of Freeman playing more than him

I'm sure if Dainja is as good as we think he is, Pitino would have not problem playing them both together. And I doubt he would be scared off by Freeman.

If we don't get him, it won't be because we have two centers on next years roster.
That and I think Oturu declares if everything goes to plan in his development next year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think floor spacing would be bad but if we had Dainja FR and Oturu JR/Curry SR/Freeman SO that could play the 5, and then Ihnen SO/Omersa JR/Dainja FR to play the 4, we would have excellent big man depth which could really be strength for us. If we could have some shooters out wide I don't think it'd be the end of the world. Especially if Ihnen can play the 4 and hit, it would be a nice change of pace going from a banger like Dainja to Ihnen. Might create some favorable matchups.

hasn't it been said by I think Ryan James that Garcia/Carlson/Dain envision themselves playing the same position in college.....and that best case we get 1 of the 3. if 1 commits we aint getting the other 2

Do we want a kid if he's afraid of not being good enough to earn playing time? Dainja seems like a tough kid and isn't afraid of earning his own time and if he is afraid, then I don't want him.

So high level recruits aren't scared off by existing roster's, ask that of Boogie Ellis with Jones coming back, roster makeup has a huge impact on right fit for even 5* recruits.

Ryan James tweeted yesterday that Jahari Long is planning to take a second official visit here, no date given though.

per Sid:

• The Go*phers got in early on the re*cruit*ing of Jahari Long, a 6-2 point guard out of Episcopal High in Bellaire, Texas, who has moved up to 146th in the Class of 2020 and is now a four-star re*cruit, ac*cord*ing to 247Sports.com. The Go*phers of*fered Long a schol*ar*ship last year and he will make a se*cond vis*it to cam*pus soon. Long also has scholarship offers from Louisiana Tech, Rice, Seton Hall and Texas Christian.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-re...fielder-max-kepler-to-an-extension/510593642/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The Go*phers got in early on the re*cruit*ing of Jahari Long, a 6-2 point guard out of Episcopal High in Bellaire, Texas, who has moved up to 146th in the Class of 2020 and is now a four-star re*cruit, ac*cord*ing to 247Sports.com. The Go*phers of*fered Long a schol*ar*ship last year and he will make a se*cond vis*it to cam*pus soon. Long also has scholarship offers from Louisiana Tech, Rice, Seton Hall and Texas Christian.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-re...fielder-max-kepler-to-an-extension/510593642/

Go Gophers!!

Wow would it feel good to steal a kid out of Wisconsin for no other reason just to rub it in. No other reason just to rub it in and he does seem to be a solid player.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Finally offered Gabe Madsen.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Finally offered Gabe Madsen.
It be great to get him and then get his twin brother to walk on. Wouldn't mind of class of Madsen, Walton and Garcia

Wow, did not see that coming with the offer to Gabe Madsen. Go GOPHERS!

More active then Walton seems more versatile. Walton is a real good defender and can shoot the three.

More active then Walton seems more versatile. Walton is a real good defender and can shoot the three.
I'd love to get both, Walton could be a good three and D guy and Madsen can score all over the court. Between them and the guys already here, we would have stupid depth on the wings

How would J'vonne Hadley compare to Gabe Madsen and Kerwin Walton?

How would J'vonne Hadley compare to Gabe Madsen and Kerwin Walton?

Those guys are way better. Hadley was honestly terrible at the team camp yesterday, hes not getting an offer.

How long have D1 programs been looking at him? Seems like most of the talents are being looked at in the 9th grade.

Marquette offered him a year and a half ago so hes been on radars for quite awhile. Remember he was living in Bloomer WI up til last year so he wasnt seen alot.

Top Bottom