All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Diamond was apparently an Under Armor AAU player I'm guessing.

So..what does the current recruiting depth chart look like?

Point- Suggs (dream)

Combos- Berry, Mashburn

2/3 - Walton, Gordon

3/4- Garcia, Carlson, Sibley

5- Muscadin

Who else is in play?

Suggs is a 100% no. Gonzaga full staff in on the first day and Pitino is visiting JUCI players.
Berry admitted that he never talked to Pitino before his official visit
They undervalued Walton. Not saying he is possibly but when he has a teammate already at Arizona and they’re first on the his visit list.
Carlson and Garcia are a no.
If they can land Sibley and a combo of Gordon Berry or Mashburn that would be best case scenario

Suggs is a 100% no. Gonzaga full staff in on the first day and Pitino is visiting JUCI players.
They undervalued Walton. Not saying he is possibly but when he has a teammate already at Arizona and they’re first on the his visit list.
If they can land Sibley and a combo of Gordon Berry or Mashburn that would be best case scenario

Well- I guess you got your opinion about the coach out there loud and clear with that post. We'll see what happens- maybe you are right about how it ends but I doubt your view of the process. Walton got an offer from the Gophers last October. A lot of programs didn't warm up to him until this summer- so how was he undervalued?

Well- I guess you got your opinion about the coach out there loud and clear with that post. We'll see what happens- maybe you are right about how it ends but I doubt your view of the process. Walton got an offer from the Gophers last October. A lot of programs didn't warm up to him until this summer- so how was he undervalued?

My opinion on Pitino is from what I see and hear..

You can look at Berry’s interview after his visit and and out of his own mouth admits his visit was the first time he’s talked to Pitino.

Walton’s offer is the same as most of the Gophers local offers. They wait for another HM to offer first. You heard nothing about Walton until after Purdue offered.

Suggs AAU Coach said recently that Gonzaga is a favorite because Few personally recruited him. Not his assistants.

So yes my opinion is Pitino is a lazy recruiter who tells too much on his assistants and doesn’t have a good relationship with local kids and coaches. I will give him credit on Daniel. Gabe and Jarvis were not highly regarded and Amir was coming off an ACL. Its unacceptable at this point of his tenure to continue to miss local kids an fall signees and have to settle for spring signees, and transfers.

How? They were one of his first offers and have been in consistent contact with him since then. What more would you like them to do to show value? They have not gone after another wing on above him only below him

How? They were one of his first offers and have been in consistent contact with him since then. What more would you like them to do to show value? They have not gone after another wing on above him only below him

They were not the first to offer. Purdue was and made him a priority

You can look at Berry’s interview after his visit and and out of his own mouth admits his visit was the first time he’s talked to Pitino.

Walton’s offer is the same as most of the Gophers local offers. They wait for another HM to offer first. You heard nothing about Walton until after Purdue offered.

Suggs AAU Coach said recently that Gonzaga is a favorite because Few personally recruited him. Not his assistants.

So yes my opinion is Pitino is a lazy recruiter who tells too much on his assistants and doesn’t have a good relationship with local kids and coaches. I will give him credit on Daniel. Gabe and Jarvis were not highly regarded and Amir was coming off an ACL. Its unacceptable at this point of his tenure to continue to miss local kids an fall signees and have to settle for spring signees, and transfers.

Daniel was a top 60 kid and had a Kansas offer. Jarvis Johnson was a top 100 kid that Pitino and staff also pulled. Pitino's recruiting practices (specifically early in his tenure) can be criticized but the idea that he doesn't recruit local kids hard is a joke or the idea that he didn't go after Suggs. The kid is a top 10 kid in the country he talked with him plenty. His relationship with the coaching association and coaches around the state is significantly better than the past 2 previous staffs. If he continues to win more, kids will come here. If not, he will be gone and they wont. It's relatively simple.

They were not the first to offer. Purdue was and made him a priority

They were one of his first offers. I never said his first. This first offer nonsense is junk. Most kids do not commit to their first offer. Vastly overrated.

Pitino is visiting Minnehaha this week as well and has already had plenty of contact with everyone on the radar at that school. Obviously Suggs is 100% to Gonzaga, I'm glad Pitino is exploring other options as oppose to trying to hang on to something that won't happen. As for Berry, Lindstead was his main recruiter for the last 2 years due to his relationship with Sunrise Christian. I didn't really see a need to invlove Pitino on that one until later as Lindstead has been working Berry for awhile. Pitino will be all over this weekend making visits to his top targets and others, I don't understand the notion that Pitino is a lazy recruiter. May have been true at one point but doesn't seem to be the case now.

Daniel was a top 60 kid and had a Kansas offer. Jarvis Johnson was a top 100 kid that Pitino and staff also pulled. Pitino's recruiting practices (specifically early in his tenure) can be criticized but the idea that he doesn't recruit local kids hard is a joke or the idea that he didn't go after Suggs. The kid is a top 10 kid in the country he talked with him plenty. His relationship with the coaching association and coaches around the state is significantly better than the past 2 previous staffs. If he continues to win more, kids will come here. If not, he will be gone and they wont. It's relatively simple.

I gave him his credit on Daniel. Jarvis had slipped but I’ll still give him that credit. But he’s missed on some obtainable local players. They just made it to the 2nd round of the tournament and it’s very possible he doesn’t sign one local player.

As far as Berry goes you don’t think Pitino doesn’t need to get involved? He’s the Head Coach. If he got involved earlier he might have got a commitment.

I gave him his credit on Daniel. Jarvis had slipped but I’ll still give him that credit. But he’s missed on some obtainable local players. They just made it to the 2nd round of the tournament and it’s very possible he doesn’t sign one local player.

As far as Berry goes you don’t think Pitino doesn’t need to get involved? He’s the Head Coach. If he got involved earlier he might have got a commitment.
He is involved, coming from someone who was recruited in a different sport, in a far less glamering prossess, Assistants do way more of the recruiting legwork. Besides one or two brief phone calls, I didn't really talk to the head coach except on visits to campus where I'd pop into their office at the end. Good for Mark Few I know coach K writes letters, but how Pitino operates is pretty typical of the process. You should educate yourself before making blanket statements, I've heard from sources it helps you look like less of an ass

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It doesn't say that this is the first time he talked to Pitino. You assume that. It is possible but that is not stated. He had a relationship with Linsted that pre- dates his time at Minny.

Berry: "I already had a great relationship with Coach (Kyle) Lindsted before I started talking to Minnesota. After this weekend, I've connected with the rest of the coaching staff really well. We had dinner at Coach Pitino's house one night, and it was fun. We had a good time. My parents had a good time too."

Can you post a link to that? I've read two interviews about his visit here and neither one says that.

He is involved, coming from someone who was recruited in a different sport, in a far less glamering prossess, Assistants do way more of the recruiting legwork. Besides one or two brief phone calls, I didn't really talk to the head coach except on visits to campus where I'd pop into their office at the end. Good for Mark Few I know coach K writes letters, but how Pitino operates is pretty typical of the process. You should educate yourself before making blanket statements, I've heard from sources it helps you look like less of an ass

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m very educated. Lucky enough to be involved in this situation a couple times. Don’t take it so personal. You sound like an ass. How do you know what the standard process is? Whatever that process is it has him recruiting a Juco player that we just hear about on his first day of recruiting while Few comes in and grabs our #1 prospect. If if you think they standard practice is working I would say you’re wrong

I’m very educated. Lucky enough to be involved in this situation a couple times. Don’t take it so personal. You sound like an ass. How do you know what the standard process is? Whatever that process is it has him recruiting a Juco player that we just hear about on his first day of recruiting while Few comes in and grabs our #1 prospect. If if you think they standard practice is working I would say you’re wrong

Respectfully, SoMpls. - hasn't Suggs already eliminated us according to you? Why would he go visit Suggs has said 100% no? Am I missing something here? Pitino has been on him for years...no?

My point/opinion is Pitino isn’t involved enough in recruiting, especially locally. If he can land Sibley, maybe Berry or Mashburn that would be good for fall recruiting. Would be better then last year.

My point/opinion is Pitino isn’t involved enough in recruiting, especially locally. If he can land Sibley, maybe Berry or Mashburn that would be good for fall recruiting. Would be better then last year.

Couldn't find the link? Seems like your main evidence for that opinion was made up.

So you are saying that Pitino was on the road last night watching a JUCO kid instead of a kid who has already said 100% no? What was he thinking!??

Maybe it's just me but it seems like going out and seeing Suggs, if Suggs has already said no- and sleeping in his own bed last night would have been lazier.

What would Harbaugh do? Pitino needs to arrange a slumber party!

Ok, that's a fair opinion. Time will tell. There are some pretty good reports on Ihnen, Freeman and Williams, and Greenlee looked solid in Italy. It is kind of odd that this comes up this year when we have the deepest list of offers and interested players from in and out of state that I can ever recall. I have no way of know exactly what Pitino himself is doing but this staff appears to be very active on the recruiting trails. It's tough when you have high level prospects here at home and the home town team has not had a finish above 4th place in their lifetimes and more like 25 or 30 years if you take out 96-97.

For me, until I hear them reject us I am holding out hope that Garcia, Walton and perhaps Berry or Mashburn end up as Gophers! I think that group with what we have would make a run at a conference title. That would be fun!

Couldn't find the link? Seems like your main evidence for that opinion was made up.

I did read one of the strib/ryan james snips about his visit, they did indicate the official visit for berry was the first time he actually met pitino. Seems like his relationship with linstead was strong enough to get him on campus for this one, and afterward said he did enjoy meeting and talking with Pitino. This situation seems unusual as previously seems like most of the offers they have made Pitino had already made contact with the recruit.

I did read one of the strib/ryan james snips about his visit, they did indicate the official visit for berry was the first time he actually met pitino. Seems like his relationship with linstead was strong enough to get him on campus for this one, and afterward said he did enjoy meeting and talking with Pitino.

Do you have a link? Also, meeting Pitino in person for the first time is very different than talking to him for the first time, which is what SoMpls said. I'm guessing it's not uncommon for a player to physically meet a head coach for the first time on their official visit.

This situation seems unusual as previously seems like most of the offers they have made Pitino had already made contact with the recruit.
It may be true that Pitino hadn't talked to Berry prior to the visit, but it wasn't mentioned in the two interviews I read, so I'm skeptical.

End of the line for Richard...no chance with any of his top targets. Let the beatings commence!

Didn’t the contact period just open back up like 36 hours ago? Jfc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggs is a 100% no. Gonzaga full staff in on the first day and Pitino is visiting JUCI players.Suggs has been a pretty strong lean to Gonzaga for a while now. Pitino visited Mashburn, Muscadin, and did see a JUCO
Berry admitted that he never talked to Pitino before his official visit False
They undervalued Walton. Not saying he is possibly but when he has a teammate already at Arizona and they’re first on the his visit list.Gophers maybe could've pushed harder for an early commitment last winter but Walton has blown up this summer. Most still say he would like to be close to him.
Carlson and Garcia are a no. Carlson had been rumored a Stanford lean but with them picking up Murrell not sure there is room. Xavier is probably in the lead right now. Garcia is wide open, gonna cut his list and Gophers will make it. Gophers have as good as chance as anyone.
If they can land Sibley and a combo of Gordon Berry or Mashburn that would be best case scenario. Any best case scenario that doesn't include Garcia right now isn't the best case scenario.

You see and hear what you want to see and hear. Lot inaccurate information in here.

You see and hear what you want to see and hear. Lot inaccurate information in here.

After attending summer recruiting and countless high school games last year i can share that this staff has worked their ass off. If someone wants to argue how they work, fine but they have put in a effort that matches anyone. Recruiting is really difficult. Just finding the right guys that you can actually get is tough. After you get them it gets even more difficult to get them to play together. Every year i see 30 teams minimum that have really wonderful talent but never realize their full potential as a team. Everyone wants great players, all fans and all coaches but even with all that talent that Duke had, they did not even win their conference. Marquette was loaded and they collapsed. UCLA had 3 MCDA's and were terrible. Getting the top 3 on a fans list does not guarantee a conference title, it could be the next 3 on the list that have more success.

Top Bottom