All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

But . . but. . . . but. . . Dawson is going to be a gopher . . . . so is Walton. . . .

Let's see should I go to a blue blood school like Kansas, NC, Arizona, etc or Minnesota who barley makes the big dance once every couple years.

Little Ricky needs to change his approach. He will probably get zero players from the university home state with the best class in the history of the state. Pitiful.

These takes are my favorite. Give me a class of Berry, Muscadin, and Sibley over Crowl, Carlson, and Madsen. Move on

But . . but. . . . but. . . Dawson is going to be a gopher . . . . so is Walton. . . .

Let's see should I go to a blue blood school like Kansas, NC, Arizona, etc or Minnesota who barley makes the big dance once every couple years.

Little Ricky needs to change his approach. He will probably get zero players from the university home state with the best class in the history of the state. Pitiful.

Don't look up, abrams...the sky will fall right on top of your head. :)

The days of provincial recruiting have long since died with family and friends being able to watch virtually every game on TV regardless of where their kid goes to school. I'm as disappointed as anyone when we miss out on the highly rated local kids but the ultimate dream of playing for the home school the way we did as youngsters just doesn't seem to carry weight anymore which is sad. Just imagine what will happen when HS kids can go straight to the NBA in 2022 and the Top 15-20 recruits aren't available for the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world. Those programs will have to reach deeper into the cookie jar to land the best remaining talent and that will probably further diminish the overall quality of recruits for programs like Minnesota. Right now, the elite programs are dining on Crème Milanos while the rest of us get Oreos. In 2022, Duke, UNC and Kentucky will be taking our Oreos and leaving us with Fig Newtons.

These takes are my favorite. Give me a class of Berry, Muscadin, and Sibley over Crowl, Carlson, and Madsen. Move on

I would prefer that class as well. As much as I bash Pitino those are not misses. Suggs, Garcia, and Walton are the difference makers.

So we should all get upset with Pitino because a guy who it seems nobody wanted here(Crowl) and a guy who we never were really in the running for(Carlson) signed elsewhere? There's plenty out there besides those 2. What because those 2 guys signed at Wisconsin we have all of a sudden failed in the fall period. Last time i checked there are more guys out there that were after, and definately have a better shot at than Crowl and Carlson. This morning we were all excited that it might look like we will get Ty Berry, but now since Carlson is going to Wisconsin we should just give up on all these guys. Who out there actually thought we were getting Carlson? Again, Garcia, Walton, and a bunch of other guys out there that actually play basketball in those other 49 states are still on our radar. Keep the faith! Hopefully in next couple of days we get good news!

So pay to play then? Cause that is what is going on at those other schools you listed there...

Do you keyboard warriors who type little Ricky chuckle at yourselves when you write that?

It seems to have been the opinion that Carlson was likely not ever going to commit to the Gophers for his own reasons which is completely understandable. So is everyone upset that he didn't commit to the gophers who were never really a serious contender, or is it because he committed to Wisconsin? Nice player we would have loved to have but never seemed serious about committing here.

Some of you blind homers make me laugh. Oturu was the last guy we beat out blue bloods for. . . . .have you see the offer list for Muscadin? Do you honestly think we have a shot at him? If we get him great. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Garcia and Walton are going to NC or Kansas or Arizona or some other elite program with a winning tradition. Minnesota has been a bottom 1/3 team in the big ten for decades. Decades. Little richards need to focus his efforts on guys we can actually get and hope for a diamond in the ruff like Gabe. Berry is probably going to Oklahoma State.

For you homers here is the gopher recent record:

Year Overall Big Ten
2003–04 12–18 3–13
2004–05 21–11 10–6
2005–06 16–15 5–11
2006–07 9–22 3–13
2007–08 20–14 8–10
2008–09 22–11 9–9
2009–10 21–14 9–9
2010–11 17–14 6–12
2011–12 23–15 6–12
2012–13 21–13 8–10
2013–14 25–13 8–10
2014–15 18–15 6–12
2015–16 8–23 2–16
2016–17 24–10 11–7
2017–18 15–17 4–14
2018–19 21–13 9–11

It seems to have been the opinion that Carlson was likely not ever going to commit to the Gophers for his own reasons which is completely understandable. So is everyone upset that he didn't commit to the gophers who were never really a serious contender, or is it because he committed to Wisconsin? Nice player we would have loved to have but never seemed serious about committing here.

I'm upset because we've finished behind the Badgers in the conference standings 21 straight years, and recruiting is part of that.

Some of you blind homers make me laugh. Oturu was the last guy we beat out blue bloods for. . . . .have you see the offer list for Muscadin? Do you honestly think we have a shot at him? If we get him great. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Garcia and Walton are going to NC or Kansas or Arizona or some other elite program with a winning tradition. Minnesota has been a bottom 1/3 team in the big ten for decades. Decades. Little richards need to focus his efforts on guys we can actually get and hope for a diamond in the ruff like Gabe. Berry is probably going to Oklahoma State.

Year Overall Big Ten
2003–04 12–18 3–13
2004–05 21–11 10–6
2005–06 16–15 5–11
2006–07 9–22 3–13
2007–08 20–14 8–10
2008–09 22–11 9–9
2009–10 21–14 9–9
2010–11 17–14 6–12
2011–12 23–15 6–12
2012–13 21–13 8–10
2013–14 25–13 8–10
2014–15 18–15 6–12
2015–16 8–23 2–16
2016–17 24–10 11–7
2017–18 15–17 4–14
2018–19 21–13 9–11

Berry cancelled his official to Oklahoma State.....

Year Overall Big Ten
2003–04 12–18 3–13
2004–05 21–11 10–6
2005–06 16–15 5–11
2006–07 9–22 3–13
2007–08 20–14 8–10
2008–09 22–11 9–9
2009–10 21–14 9–9
2010–11 17–14 6–12
2011–12 23–15 6–12
2012–13 21–13 8–10
2013–14 25–13 8–10
2014–15 18–15 6–12
2015–16 8–23 2–16
2016–17 24–10 11–7
2017–18 15–17 4–14
2018–19 21–13 9–11

I just think you have to up your $$$ offer and you will get them. Maybe hire some dads or their high school coaches as assistants? How about getting them a degree for not going to class? Maybe a guaranteed job that pays good money after they graduate?

I mean lets be real here, that is the only way we get these types of guys. These other schools offer a winning tradition, money, and a degree for doing nothing. We offer a scholarship. We are behind the 8-ball right from the start.

That said, we should be able to beat out schools like Wisconsin for kids from time to time. They don't have as many boosters paying the big bucks and the rest blue blood nation does.

I'm upset because we've finished behind the Badgers in the conference standings 21 straight years, and recruiting is part of that.

I understand where your at, but does crowl and carlson assure wisconsin of finishing ahead of us next 4 years?

I understand where your at, but does crowl and carlson assure wisconsin of finishing ahead of us next 4 years?

I hope we get Berry, sounds promising. A class of Berry, Garcia and Walton would be amazing. He has had several unofficial visits to OSU already.

Of course not but when you combine it with having Greg Gard it sure puts UW in a far better position to do so. Carlson preferred that staff by miles over ours.

Maybe Carlson knew Garcia was coming here and didn't want to compete with him at the power forward spot. ;)

I don't get the love affair with local kids who aren't top 10 1 and done potential...missing out on guys like the Jones's, Vaughn, Travis, Trent, Hurt, etc. suck because as the local school we feel like we should have a shot, but missing out on someone like Crowl when there are tons of better options elsewhere...Carlson looks like a nice player and it sucks losing out on him but if we get a guy at his level anyway then who cares.

Of course not but when you combine it with having Greg Gard it sure puts UW in a far better position to do so. Carlson preferred that staff by miles over ours.

Gard and staff may have been preferred by Carlson, but I'm not quite there yet on gard and staff being miles ahead. Bo Ryan yes! Gard, I'm not there yet.

Gard hasn't really done anything. Despite your love affair with the Badgers.

Carlson is the best recruiting win he's had yet.

Sure - no one will disagree with this.

How many of those guys do we end up with though? I'll guess 1.

Look at the Badgers recruiting over the last decade...they aren't exactly signing top tier guys...they're finding diamond in the rough players...outside of Dekker and Reuvers I can't think of anyone else who was top 50 type talent coming out of high school. Haap wasn't even top 100

Look at the Badgers recruiting over the last decade...they aren't exactly signing top tier guys...they're finding diamond in the rough players...outside of Dekker and Reuvers I can't think of anyone else who was top 50 type talent coming out of high school. Haap wasn't even top 100

And that means they were great at recruiting and teaching.

Maybe Carlson knew Garcia was coming here and didn't want to compete with him at the power forward spot. ;)

Certainly could play a role in anyones decision but Carlson made a choice that was based on something he observed a long time ago.

Certainly could play a role in anyones decision but Carlson made a choice that was based on something he observed a long time ago.

Why the F are you posting on this board? There is zero chance you are a Gopher fan or actually attend games at Williams. Nearly every post you make is some kind of veiled reference that we have an inferior coaching staff. Seriously, prove us wrong. I've literally witnessed you going to the F-ING FOOTBALL BOARD to take shots at Pitino's conference record. You can't even stay in your lane.

GET. OFF. THIS. BOARD. Nobody cares about the last time you and Tony Bennett had sex. Seriously. You are the worst.

(I can't wait for the impending next post saying "Just because I'm a fan of the Gophers, does that mean I need to accept below average results....in 3, 2, 1 and....)

When Greg Gard starts doing great things when Bo Ryan isn't around I'll give credit when credit Is due! Right now as your talking about the last ten years I have to believe Bo Ryan was huge part of that. Yeah he won 2 games in tourney with Bo's guys, but I'll wait until he wins his first NCAA game with his guys before I get excited.

I hope we get Berry, sounds promising. A class of Berry, Garcia and Walton would be amazing. He has had several unofficial visits to OSU already.

Berry looks to be a backup plan for OK State. They are pursuing a couple other higher rated guards including Cade Cunningham, the top guard in the class whose brother is on the coaching staff. If Berry announces soon, which looks to be the case, I would bet heavily against OK State.

Why are you ready to anoint Gard as such a great coach? His winning percentage in his tenure (not including the partial season that Bo started) is 62.5 and Pitino's is 55 (not including FIU). Yes I understand he has had more B1G success, but the dude has won 2 tourney games lol, quit stroking him.

Gard's program was literally light years ahead of Pitino's and you are anointing Gard as an exceptional coach every time he is mentioned, and love to compare him to Pitino. We know that they prefer other staffs over ours buddy, that's why they choose them. We know that they have better programs historically than us, that is why were only able to hire Richard Pitino at the time.

You like to go off of facts when its convenient, cant have it both ways. Gard lost 5 more games in his second year than Bo ever did in any season. Convenient for you to leave that out every time you mention him. The recruiting class in '16 was garbage, '17 was very very good, '18 class was middle of the road, and 2019 included one pretty solid player in Wahl. Why is Greg Gard such a great coach? What has he done to prove he can identify talent, mold it, and win with it? Has he gotten that much more out of his teams? I wouldn't say that personally.

To me there isn't a ton of evidence, although I do think he's a good coach. Top 5 coach in the conference? I don't think so, but time will tell. When you take over a top 20 program, its a lot easier to win.

Top Bottom