All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Do you think D1/UA actively pitch “if you wanna get out of Minnesota, come play for us, if you don’t mind ending up with the Gophers, by all means play on another team” ?

Do you think D1/UA actively pitch “if you wanna get out of Minnesota, come play for us, if you don’t mind ending up with the Gophers, by all means play on another team” ?

No. They want the best team and highest profile players possible, just like any other team.

I guess this gets at the question of: what ultimately are the goals of these high-school aged club teams?

Are they profit-maximizing businesses? Are they non-profits seeking to help the most number of athletes get to college?

I guess this gets at the question of: what ultimately are the goals of these high-school aged club teams?

Are they profit-maximizing businesses? Are they non-profits seeking to help the most number of athletes get to college?

Depends on the program and whose perspective you're talking about. The AAU director, coaches, and players are all going to have different goals.

Some directors want to make money, some just want to help underprivileged kids get scholarships. Most probably want to do both.

Organizing major AAU events can be big money maker. If you want to attract enough teams to one of your events, you have to develop a brand/reputation. You do that by consistently winning. You consistently win by recruiting the best players possible.

Thanks for the discussion. It’s informative.

That leaves the final, key point: do the best players desire to leave, or are they guided in that direction? Is it possible to infer a trend by analyzing who the best players have been, where they went, and who their clubs/coaches were, or is there no trend to be found and it’s just up to each player feeling differently?

Thanks for the discussion. It’s informative.

That leaves the final, key point: do the best players desire to leave, or are they guided in that direction? Is it possible to infer a trend by analyzing who the best players have been, where they went, and who their clubs/coaches were, or is there no trend to be found and it’s just up to each player feeling differently?

They have some vested interest in shoe money and sometimes the kids pick schools that are with the same shoe company. Coincidence ? Kids of course have the final say and many of the programs play it clean. I know of certain coaches that use AAU to scout and high schools to find out who they are.

No, but they don't think of the U as a great option and with their advising of young players I believe it has a negative influence. I don't think they will ever actively tell a kid that wants to go to the U to not go.

No, but they don't think of the U as a great option and with their advising of young players I believe it has a negative influence. I don't think they will ever actively tell a kid that wants to go to the U to not go.

They may not say don't go, but what you are saying is effectively the same thing. Peer pressure can influence what clothes they wear, it sure can influence where to play if you are "good".

There are players who are not recruited by some programs because of their “handlers”. As a coach you are going to coach this guy for four years. Nobody wants the headache of dealing with someone who is listening to other advisors for their decisions.

That’s one reason teams are going to cool on somebody or make someone else a higher priority even if the other guy has more talent. You have to have people who will accept coaching. If they are going to question everything you ask them to do because ”my dad, my AAU coach, my uncle thinks we should do it this way”...you don’t want those guys.

Somebody send Kerwin Walton the film from the Cleveland State game; this offense is a perfect fit for him. We are going to see 3pt shooting records at the U fall with these sets.

Somebody send Kerwin Walton the film from the Cleveland State game; this offense is a perfect fit for him. We are going to see 3pt shooting records at the U fall with these sets.

Yep. It's early but I was very impressed last night how Pitino has modified the offense to fit the new personnel. Obviously we need to see it against better competition but last night there was really good ball movement and a ton of open 3 point looks as well as shots for Oturu in the lane.

Add Garcia to that list of someone to send the film to. He would fit so freakin good!

Yep. It's early but I was very impressed last night how Pitino has modified the offense to fit the new personnel. Obviously we need to see it against better competition but last night there was really good ball movement and a ton of open 3 point looks as well as shots for Oturu in the lane.

Have to see it against better teams but the ball movement is the reason i expect this team to be better. The ball stopped at 2 players last year. 5 guys spread the court, share the ball.

How good will the 2020 Gophers recruiting class be under Richard Pitino?

Jamal Mashburn Jr. - 6'0'' combo guard
"Jamal is one of the top scorers in his class," said Pitino in a statement. "He has unlimited range and competes every second he gets on the court. Jamal is one of the hardest workers in the country. He will be a tremendous addition to our basketball program on and off the court."

Mashburn, a consensus 4-star recruit, is the son of former NBA All-Star Jamal Mashburn, who was picked fourth overall in the 1993 NBA Draft.

Martice Mitchell - 6'10'' forward
"Martice has phenomenal potential," Pitino said. "He can score inside and out. He's versatile and has tremendous length. Every time I saw him he got better and better. He will be a terrific student athlete and will fit in right away into our locker room."

Mitchell, out of Chicago, is a 4-star recruit in 247 Sports' rankings, but his composite score makes him a highly rated 3-star recruit.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...hers-recruiting-class-be-under-richard-pitino

Go Gophers!!

Have to see it against better teams but the ball movement is the reason i expect this team to be better. The ball stopped at 2 players last year. 5 guys spread the court, share the ball.
Presently, I still see the ball stopping. It gets stopped by Marcus Carr, in my opinion. Rarely does he receive or distribute the ball without first dribbling it and thus allowing the defense to recover. As a point guard he should be quicker to recognize the pass, but instead he holds up the movement.
That's my take. Maybe I am off-base.

Presently, I still see the ball stopping. It gets stopped by Marcus Carr, in my opinion. Rarely does he receive or distribute the ball without first dribbling it and thus allowing the defense to recover. As a point guard he should be quicker to recognize the pass, but instead he holds up the movement.

I agree. So far, Carr's strength has been driving to the basket, but even before he does that, he has been dribbling around for a couple of seconds and letting the defense get set up, first.

The issue is the why behind Carr holding the ball. Pitino is trying to play this fluid style, but the amount of motion is not enough and can be stoppered by one guy locking down who the call is to go to next. While Carr ends up holding it, so are many guys and it has to do with breaks being later than they should imo.

Full agreement with you but think it is far too early to be concerned.

The issue is the why behind Carr holding the ball. Pitino is trying to play this fluid style, but the amount of motion is not enough and can be stoppered by one guy locking down who the call is to go to next. While Carr ends up holding it, so are many guys and it has to do with breaks being later than they should imo.

Think guys are getting used to playing with this type of fluidity as well. We've had ball stoppers for quite awhile. I was hoping that last year we'd move the ball better once Mason left. With all the double teams Oturo will get this year, cutters and guys moving to passing lanes will get rewarded greatly. It will get better.

Based on this thread, the staff went all in on Dawson. Following the Dawson commitment to Marquette, I realize that we probably won’t get another commitment until the spring. However, do we really have any thoughts on who that could be at this point? For the sake of argument (or rather to avoid one), let’s assume Pitino is the coach at that point.

I wonder if the Gophers could refocus on Jamari Sibley, a top 100 player who has already visited. I know he's reported to be a Georgetown lean, but I'd have to think we compare favorably to Georgetown and Iowa. He appeared to like his visit in September. I'm hoping he was waiting to see where Garcia went first, but now sees spot open for himself.

Think the players just mentioned are pipe dreams. Another foreign player or way below radar guy is what is the reality

Think the players just mentioned are pipe dreams. Another foreign player or way below radar guy is what is the reality
It's like an abusive relationship in here almost asking for a letdown. Although I will admit I think both of our recruits for next year are A+, if we wait until spring I expect a player like Demir.

It's like an abusive relationship in here almost asking for a letdown. Although I will admit I think both of our recruits for next year are A+, if we wait until spring I expect a player like Demir.

A program like Minnesota has to get lucky to get a good transfer in the spring, to much competition and the good ones go to schools that have had decent success.

Top Bottom