All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

We must get a PF in this class. If it is not Garcia this fall (as we all hope) then I have to think we are shopping for one in the spring. Muscadin loved it hear (blown away) by all reports, so to me this is another indication that Muscadin knew he was behind Garcia and that the staff believes they can land him. Otherwise I have to believe we would have made the kid's final four.
We certainly have a great opportunity for someone to start at the PF next year.

Yeah, that's a good point. Hope the staff is dialed in and clear where they stand with Garcia!!

per Evan Daniels:

Four-star guard Jamal Mashburn Jr., the son of former 12-year NBA player Jamal Mashburn, verbally committed to Minnesota on Monday, he tells 247Sports.

“It’s a great opportunity there for me to flourish and for me to win which is a big part of my character and who I am,” Mashburn Jr. said.

“I want to get the NCAA Tournament, the big dance, just to be on that stage and be able to win a National Championship while going there and doing what I’m capable of doing, which is shoot the ball at a high level, score, lead and guard, really sit down and guard,” he added. “Really, that’s the reason why I’ll be going to the University of Minnesota.”

“I had a gut feeling that I was supposed to be there, that’s where I wanted to play at and that’s where I wanted to be,” Mashburn Jr. said. “I built a great relationship with Richard [Pitino] and a great relationship with the coaching staff and I fit with what they’re trying to do and I fit in to what I’m trying to do which is trying to be a professional basketball player.”

https://247sports.com/college/baske...mal-Mashburn-Commit-Richard-Pitino-136959734/

Go Gophers!!

We must get a PF in this class. If it is not Garcia this fall (as we all hope) then I have to think we are shopping for one in the spring. Muscadin loved it hear (blown away) by all reports, so to me this is another indication that Muscadin knew he was behind Garcia and that the staff believes they can land him. Otherwise I have to believe we would have made the kid's final four.
We certainly have a great opportunity for someone to start at the PF next year.

We already have one in Mitchell, but would be great to add another, especially if it is Garcia.

Now we just need to beg, barrow, steal our way landing Garcia.

Hope the big boosters who fund the bagmen — or however that black market system works, because absolutely every single P5 does it, just on a few get caught now and then — are up to the task!

Hope the big boosters who fund the bagmen — or however that black market system works, because absolutely every single P5 does it, just on a few get caught now and then — are up to the task!

No. And not every single P5 does it.

I'd rather not get him, than get him that way.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If DG were to commit, where would he rank historically, among the highest ranked Gopher recruits?

He would be ranked 3rd highest since they started ranking recruits, behind Humphries and White, and just barely ahead of Oturo who I think people forget how big of recruiting get he was.

He would be ranked 3rd highest since they started ranking recruits, behind Humphries and White, and just barely ahead of Oturo who I think people forget how big of recruiting get he was.

Joel Przybilla is the highest rated recruit (he was #3 I believe), and Rickert was Top 5-7 range. Joel was before the Internet era (Streets & Smiths, PrepStars and Liddy's provided rankings back then).

FWIW, Chet Holmgren is currently the highest rated recruit in Minnesota history if he remains at #2.

Go Gophers!!

Kendal Shell chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Pretty excited for Mash commit, team needs to get more kids that can shoot the 3

Should be the best shooting group in numbers that the gophers have ever had. We’ve had past players that were great shots, but it always seemed we had a couple guys on the floor who could shoot outside worth a lick.(especially at the power forward position and sometimes point guard) if we can get Garcia, who by all accounts can move outside comfortably, the team will be deep and filled with dangerous players from all over the floor.

I was just going to post how we moved up in the rankings. Imagine what it will be when Garcia commits with the Gophers!!!

I haven't looked at the B1G recruiting class rankings but with Garcia would we not be #1? If DG commits this is our squad in two years:

PG: Carr, Mashburn, Greenlee
SG: Kalscheur, Willis, Williams
SF: Ihnen
PF: Garcia, Omersa, Mitchell
C: Oturu (if he stays), Freeman

Not sure what the rest of you think but to me that looks like elite eight / final four potential. Anyways, let's all appreciate how good of a get Mashburn was.

I haven't looked at the B1G recruiting class rankings but with Garcia would we not be #1? If DG commits this is our squad in two years:

Not sure what the rest of you think but to me that looks like elite eight / final four potential. Anyways, let's all appreciate how good of a get Mashburn was.

Did you mean next year?

lol

You are way out..............

over your skis with optimism like this. we have not seen over half of these guys play one game at all, much less together. Garcia would be a huge get. He can play anywhere.

I haven't looked at the B1G recruiting class rankings but with Garcia would we not be #1?

If Garcia committed right now, the Gophers class would probably be #1 in the B1G and about #5 nationally per 247. Again, that is if it happened right now, but other teams will rise as recruits commit and are re-evaluated.

Go away...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like it...also assuming you mean next year? I like Curry but adding Walton to this group has me all in! Whatever happens there...how good is open to discussion but that’s the best roster in 20 years, I think?

I didn't want to take up space in a Mashburn Jr thread to talk about scholarships, but there was a discussion in one of the threads about Garcia/Walton and the Gophers only having one scholarship. The Gophers CAN oversign and take 4 kids this Fall. Ohio State already has two commitments expected to sign in November despite only having one scholarship available. Iowa oversigned in either the 2019 or 2018 class. If the Gophers are in the position to land both Garcia and Walton, they will sign both of them and figure it out in the Spring. Minnesota has had a player leave with eligibility after every season for like 15 consecutive years. This upcoming Spring has more potential candidates to depart than many of the previous Spring's.

I didn't want to take up space in a Mashburn Jr thread to talk about scholarships, but there was a discussion in one of the threads about Garcia/Walton and the Gophers only having one scholarship. The Gophers CAN oversign and take 4 kids this Fall. Ohio State already has two commitments expected to sign in November despite only having one scholarship available. Iowa oversigned in either the 2019 or 2018 class. If the Gophers are in the position to land both Garcia and Walton, they will sign both of them and figure it out in the Spring. Minnesota has had a player leave with eligibility after every season for like 15 consecutive years. This upcoming Spring has more potential candidates to depart than many of the previous Spring's.

Who do you think is likely? Obviously Oturu could leave early, but I'd say that's 50/50 at this point. Curry getting a medical hardship is the only obvious one to me. Omersa won't play a ton, but I don't see him leaving. Perhaps Greenlee?

Last edited:

Why Greenlee

Who do you think is likely? Obviously Oturu could leave early, but I'd say that's 50/50 at this point. Curry getting a medical hardship is the only obvious one to me. Omersa won't play a ton, but I don't see him leaving. Perhaps Greenlee?

Why would you mention Greenlee, by all reports he has been more impressive than expected so far. A good defender, smart player who doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. What team doesn’t need players like that.

Please, let's respect our players and not try to speculate any Creaning of guys that haven't even played a game yet in the Maroon and Gold.

Pitino has shown loyalty to his players in the past, no reason to think he is going to start pushing out players for some GHer's next hot prospect!

I really like our roster and it can show be a very versatile team that will be fun to watch.

Ski-U-Mah

Not sure I agree with that last statement but the rest makes perfect sense.

Only scholarship I see opening up is possibly Curry but I hope that's not the case

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You hit on most of the potential candidates as you named 4 guys. I think Oturu leaving early is much less than 50/50, but there is that chance. At this time last year, Isaiah Washington was expected to be the Gophers starting point guard and he ended up transferring in the Spring. 2 years ago, Jamir Harris was just a freshman who had not played in a game yet and he ended up transferring the following Spring. I don't think many people expected a Devante Fitzgerald grad transfer at this point in his Junior year having not played in a Gopher uniform yet. I think it's pretty easy to come up with 5 scenarios where a scholarship is available this Spring that are less surprising (or no more surprising) than those departures would have seemed if predicted in the Fall before they occurred.

Top Bottom