All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

I saw a tweet that we are after Jamal Mashburn, Jr. Is he realistic? I haven't seen a thread on him here.

Dad has a great relationship with the Pitinos and apparently we have a shot at the kid.

I saw a tweet that we are after Jamal Mashburn, Jr. Is he realistic? I haven't seen a thread on him here.

Mashburn Jr has already visited here. Ryan James thinks the Gophers are in good shape there now, but I personally need to see Pitino win a recruiting battle again before I get optimistic on a recruit again. A class featuring Garcia (or Suggs) and a Mashburn Jr. type from out of state would go a long way towards getting things back on track.

He took an official last summer, were the only school he has visited

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Love this. I'm not getting wrapped up in being disappointed if we don't get our top targets.

If we could lock down anyone that is inside the top 175/200 (offers matter just as much as ranking, I'm just using that for general speak), I think we do it and ask questions about making room for better players later. Gotta start being consistent every year.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I thought this was Jamari Sibley lol

Coaches have to keep a lot of irons in the fire. The Strib interview with the D1 MN team players was real good. Those players talked about how they will have to make decisions very soon. Pitino has shown that he will get good players, the MN kids have to pull the trigger or the spots will be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coaches have to keep a lot of irons in the fire. The Strib interview with the D1 MN team players was real good. Those players talked about how they will have to make decisions very soon. Pitino has shown that he will get good players, the MN kids have to pull the trigger or the spots will be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree. Non blue blood programs that are very successful do this all the time and leave great players behind. They go first come first serve.

Going to be a fun couple months. Gophers look like they are in a good spot to get a couple kids this fall.

I think we're in tremendous shape with Garcia. Lock him up and then Holmgren in 2021, then you'll see the in-state floodgates open from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think we're in tremendous shape with Garcia. Lock him up and then Holmgren in 2021, then you'll see the in-state floodgates open from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hope your right about being in tremendous shape with Garcia. Curious, what made you think this ?

I hope your right about being in tremendous shape with Garcia. Curious, what made you think this ?

Garcia has said multiple times he communicates with the coaching staff regularly and has a great relationship with all of them. He's visited multiple times and seen the team practice. Unfortunately he's not playing right now, out with mono. He and/or Mashburn would be a heck of a start to the class.

If Garcia/Suggs don't come to the U, it's not because of a lack of effort. Pitino and staff are seeing them/communicating with them at every available opportunity.

Garcia has said multiple times he communicates with the coaching staff regularly and has a great relationship with all of them. He's visited multiple times and seen the team practice. Unfortunately he's not playing right now, out with mono. He and/or Mashburn would be a heck of a start to the class.

If Garcia/Suggs don't come to the U, it's not because of a lack of effort. Pitino and staff are seeing them/communicating with them at every available opportunity.

I am not one who is concerned about recruiting.

No one knows how this recruiting season will work out but this is one of the longest lists of possible recruits I can recall at this point in time.

It feels like we need a PG, SG/SF shooter, and a PF. Not as sure what our needs are at center. That depends whether Oturu has two years left or one. If they think he has at least two years left, then we are fine there.

Options:

PG- Suggs, Long, Mashburn, Mane
SG- Walton, Madsen
SF- Wilkinson, Okani
PF- Garcia, Murrell, Carlson
C- Crowl

My dream list:

Suggs, Garcia, Walton or Madsen (2 great players and a kid that can fill it up) - that's the makings of a top ten team

Best guess:

Garcia, Long, Walton (really good class) Oturu, Gabe, Garcia, Carr and Ihnen starting line up a year from now sounds fantastic to me. Length and shooting.

Things starting to heat up it seems (or maybe it’s just chatter on the boards). When can we expect the first shoe to fall? I always forget the summer schedules and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one knows how this recruiting season will work out but this is one of the longest lists of possible recruits I can recall at this point in time.

It feels like we need a PG, SG/SF shooter, and a PF. Not as sure what our needs are at center. That depends whether Oturu has two years left or one. If they think he has at least two years left, then we are fine there.

Options:

PG- Suggs, Long, Mashburn, Mane
SG- Walton, Madsen
SF- Wilkinson, Okani
PF- Garcia, Murrell, Carlson
C- Crowl

My dream list:

Suggs, Garcia, Walton or Madsen (2 great players and a kid that can fill it up) - that's the makings of a top ten team

Best guess:

Garcia, Long, Walton (really good class) Oturu, Gabe, Garcia, Carr and Ihnen starting line up a year from now sounds fantastic to me. Length and shooting.
Don't forget about Tre Willams. I like Ilhan better long-term, but I think short term after watching Ilhan's FIBA games, as underclassmen, Tre will be better, little more polished at this point

Don't forget about Tre Willams. I like Ilhan better long-term, but I think short term after watching Ilhan's FIBA games, as underclassmen, Tre will be better, little more polished at this point

It may well be that Williams is more ready to help this year and perhaps Ihnen makes the jump the next year... we'll have to wait and see. At any rate, it seems to me that Garcia really would be a huge get to complete the 20-21 squad.

It may well be that Williams is more ready to help this year and perhaps Ihnen makes the jump the next year... we'll have to wait and see. At any rate, it seems to me that Garcia really would be a huge get to complete the 20-21 squad.
I agree plug Dawson in for 30-35 minutes a game for two years and let's go

Yet your concern over mn recruiting is in many of your posts as well as your praise of others recruiting.

Was very against the low character guys that were brought in . Like most of the talent. Not at all pleased with the overall performance of the team. If i praised others that recruited better it is either they have more to sell and are far better in evaluations. MY OPINION. If you think we have one of the best recruiters and that he is also one of the best teachers and developers of talent, your entitled that opinion. My observations of the schools that actually get lower ranked opponents than we do but crush our team accomplishments.

Was very against the low character guys that were brought in . Like most of the talent. Not at all pleased with the overall performance of the team. If i praised others that recruited better it is either they have more to sell and are far better in evaluations. MY OPINION. If you think we have one of the best recruiters and that he is also one of the best teachers and developers of talent, your entitled that opinion. My observations of the schools that actually get lower ranked opponents than we do but crush our team accomplishments.

Please, Built, don't stoop to that level, you are better than that! You have said yourself that the last several years of recruiting have been good with very high character guys. So you can stop attacking the character of the current students by constantly bringing up a few reaches that the coach made in his first few years. These last statements are very poorly worded and infers that it is problem with all of the players. You cast an unfair and negative cloud upon the program that is not a true reflection of it's current state. You need to move on from your past gripes and judge the team on its current merits.

Top Bottom