All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

I posted on here awhile ago that Dainja wouldnt be a Gopher and this is why. I know hes transferring to CDH this year because they promised theyd help him get eligible. Maybe a team like Baylor takes a chance that ends up getting qualified but at this point that all seems unlikely. He keeps talking about taking official visits in his interviews but they keep falling thru likely because of these issues. Will be interesting what happens, does he get qualified? does he go to prep school or juco? Maybe he decides to just go pro and try the gleague or overseas?

Last edited:

I posted on here awhile ago that Dainja wouldnt be a Gopher and this is why. I know hes transferring to CDH this year because they promised theyd help him get eligible. Maybe a team like Baylor takes a chance that ends up getting qualified but at this point that all seems unlikely. He keeps talking about taking official visits in his interveiws but they keep falling thru likely because of these issues. Will be interesting what happens, does he get qualified? does he go to prep school or juco? Maybe he decides to just go pro and try the gleague or overseas?

is it a one size fits all for admissions at the U, or do they sometimes make exceptions for Minnesotans? I'm guessing its one size fits all since the U did away with the General College

is it a one size fits all for admissions at the U, or do they sometimes make exceptions for Minnesotans? I'm guessing its one size fits all since the U did away with the General College

They let Jeff Jones in and he didn't even meet the NCAA bare minimum eligibility requirements. So there are of course exceptions. All colleges make exceptions and take kids who may be lacking in certain areas (GPA or test scores) but excel in other areas (Music, the arts, volunteer work, leadership and of course athletics)

Whether or not they will make an exception for Dainja I don't know but the U has definitely made exceptions. But on the flip side you also have guys like Gaston who weren't admitted, at least initially.

They let Jeff Jones in and he didn't even meet the NCAA bare minimum eligibility requirements. So there are of course exceptions. All colleges make exceptions and take kids who may be lacking in certain areas (GPA or test scores) but excel in other areas (Music, the arts, volunteer work, leadership and of course athletics)

Whether or not they will make an exception for Dainja I don't know but the U has definitely made exceptions. But on the flip side you also have guys like Gaston who weren't admitted, at least initially.
Freddie Hoiberg will grease them books at Nebraska...just sayin...

Awesome venues to see prospects in the next live evaluation tonight. Coaches spread out, scouts in full employ.

Per the Daily Gopher:

2020 Recruiting - Position Needs

"So what are the needs in this class? With 4 scholarships you can really bring two guards and two frontcourt players. But if we need to be more specific the Gophers really need three things.

1 - A dynamic playmaker who can contribute immediately. This 2020-21 team is going to be pretty talented and deep. Adding one guy who can come in and make an immediate impact as a freshman might take this from a top 25 team to a top 15 caliber team capable of beating anybody.

2 - Power Forward. We are OK in the frontcourt but thinner at power forward. There is an opportunity for a freshman PF to come in and start immediately.

3 - A point guard. Marcus Carr is the team’s true point and he is just a sophomore but getting another ballhandler is critical in this class. This might be less of a priority with the signing of Greenlee, but he is such an unknown that adding another point wouldn’t be the worst idea. Under Pitino the Gophers have not had two reliable ball handlers on the roster at the same time.

4 - Get another shooter. I want a shooter with that 4th spot. You cannot have enough of them and by the time this guy gets on campus, Kalscheur will be a junior."

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019...nd-a-loaded-class-in-minnesota-richard-pitino

Can’t for the life of me figure why anyone would willingly live in Waco, and attend a school with an athletics department and administration that has consistently displayed zero moral compass, from Dave Bliss to Art Briles. Some really nasty $hit has gone down there. Oh well, his choice.

Agree, not my cup of tea as a place but it appeals in a big way to families that want a private christian school.

Agree, not my cup of tea as a place but it appeals in a big way to families that want a private christian school.

Yea, sure, that is why they go to school their....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, sure, that is why they go to school their....

Think what you want. What if they think Drew is a better coach, they hate winter. By your reasoning Minnesota is always the better choice, there are not any better coaches than Pitino, we have the best school anywhere.Your certain that christian values never play a part for families and players. That would simply not be accurate. And these references about bad grades are a joke. We have let in tons of players who would not get in at many schools.

Think what you want. What if they think Drew is a better coach, they hate winter. By your reasoning Minnesota is always the better choice, there are not any better coaches than Pitino, we have the best school anywhere.Your certain that christian values never play a part for families and players. That would simply not be accurate. And these references about bad grades are a joke. We have let in tons of players who would not get in at many schools.

Wow, you sure made a lot of assumptions into my little joke about them only going to Baylor because it is a small Christian school! Their have been a lot of very “non-Christian values” problems with players at Baylor over the years. I NEVER said any of the things you list in your post!

They hate Winter? Why are they living in Minnesota of all places then?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

You mean a private school that talks a Christian environment but has a history of walking something far different. How quickly we forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They hate Winter? Why are they living in Minnesota of all places then?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Perhaps he lived where his parents worked and he now gets to get out of Minnesota, perhaps he thinks Drew is a better coach and on and on and on. Not everyone thinks Minnesota is the best state, not everyone thinks the University is their dream.

Really liked Dain, but he obviously wanted something other than MN by making a choice like Baylor. Wish him the best and look forward to getting some kids who want to be here.

Perhaps he lived where his parents worked and he now gets to get out of Minnesota, perhaps he thinks Drew is a better coach and on and on and on. Not everyone thinks Minnesota is the best state, not everyone thinks the University is their dream.

You said "they" hate winter, not "he."

Like who? I'm not saying our players are rocket scientists but let's not act like Zion and Cam Reddish were smart enough to get into Duke. All schools make exceptions for their players, don't try and spin the narrative that we're the only school letting in academically maleficient athletes.

Pivital class for Pitino this year. Iam not sure where we stand with Madsen, I think they've only lived in Minnesota for a couple years, but I really like both Twins as players. Walton don't hear alot about his recruiting, if Purdue's going at him hard I fear he will torn into next Mathias or Cline. Sounds like Suggs and Garcia really like Pitino, so hopefully he can close the deal there. For the sake of the team, Garcia has to be top priority. Don't know alot about Crowl, but thought I read he was a lock if we offer, anyone know anything about that or is that just here say?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Like who? I'm not saying our players are rocket scientists but let's not act like Zion and Cam Reddish were smart enough to get into Duke. All schools make exceptions for their players, don't try and spin the narrative that we're the only school letting in academically maleficient athletes.

Your right, lots of schools do it. To me it is up to the coach to have a standard that asks for true student athletes. Do you really want me to name athletes who did not belong at the U ? I have no idea about Reddish but Zion was a easy qualify anywhere as a very bright and accomplished student.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jeff Jones.

But you are right, all schools make exceptions and all schools have lesser standards for their athletes than the general student body including elite academic institutions and the U is no exception. I highly doubt Harvard or Princeton would be able to field a D1 caliber football or basketball team if they only admitted athletes with 35-36 ACT's and 4.0 GPA's. Maybe Carlton and Mcalester have the same admissions standards for athletes as the regular general body but at the D1 level, all schools do this.

Last edited:

Jeff Jones.

But you are right, all schools make exceptions and all schools have lesser standards for their athletes than the general student body including elite academic institutions and the U is no exception. I highly doubt Harvard or Princeton would be able to field a D1 caliber football or basketball team if they only admitted athletes with 35-36 ACT's and 4.0 GPA's. Maybe Carlton and Mcalester have the same admissions standards for athletes as the regular general body but at the D1 level, all schools do this.

There is a ton of room between a 35-36 ACT . There are public schools that will not admit anyone under a 27 ACT no matter what, athlete or not. The U has a lower admission standard than several publics for students or athletes.The U is obviously more strict than most but not even close to all. I know players that got in here that did not qualify elsewhere and there are players who could not get in here that went elsewhere. Some coaches even have higher standards than admissions !

There is a ton of room between a 35-36 ACT . There are public schools that will not admit anyone under a 27 ACT no matter what, athlete or not. The U has a lower admission standard than several publics for students or athletes.The U is obviously more strict than most but not even close to all. I know players that got in here that did not qualify elsewhere and there are players who could not get in here that went elsewhere. Some coaches even have higher standards than admissions !

And not a single one of those in the B1G.

So you think that the U is the most difficult public school in the conference for a athlete to get into ? Indiana, Penn State , IU and Illinois have a different opinion.

No, and I never once said that.

I said that I don't think that there is a single coach in the Big Ten who has higher standards than the admissions department. Considering that in this day and age you pretty much can not get into a Big Ten institution if you are a normal student unless you have at least a 25+ ACT score. Nebraska may be the outlier but even they are getting much tougher. No coach in the Big Ten is turning away kids with a 25+ act score.

I am not arguing that Minnesota has the toughest admission standards but it is absurd to think that any coach in this conference is turning away talent because they have higher standards than already some of the toughest admission standards of any of the P5 conferences.

Top Bottom