Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

By no means is recruiting easy, I am sure it's awful on the coaches, however I don't think I feel bad for them, they are paid pretty well to coach/recruit basketball, I think we can expect plenty out of them.

And yes MN obviously isn't going to get every top recruit, but when someone asked above what I want from Pitino....First off 8-10, 6-12, 2-16, 11-7, 4-14, 9-11 we have had 1 season over .500 in the B1G, so lets start there. In 22 years WISC has 1 losing B1G campaign, ONE! There is no reason we are 50-70 in conference and should be excited or impressed by that.

I laugh as some of the people ragging on Duke, HA THEY HAVEN'T WON AN ACC TITLE SINCE 2010! You know what they do have since 2010, 2 national titles, I think their talent is doing just fine.

Can we please keep the discussion of pitino’s big ten record out of this thread and stick to recruiting updates for the next couple weeks?

It’s a high traffic period and there should be plenty of news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leib0039 View Post
    By no means is recruiting easy, I am sure it's awful on the coaches, however I don't think I feel bad for them, they are paid pretty well to coach/recruit basketball, I think we can expect plenty out of them.

And yes MN obviously isn't going to get every top recruit, but when someone asked above what I want from Pitino....First off 8-10, 6-12, 2-16, 11-7, 4-14, 9-11 we have had 1 season over .500 in the B1G, so lets start there. In 22 years WISC has 1 losing B1G campaign, ONE! There is no reason we are 50-70 in conference and should be excited or impressed by that.

I laugh as some of the people ragging on Duke, HA THEY HAVEN'T WON AN ACC TITLE SINCE 2010! You know what they do have since 2010, 2 national titles, I think their talent is doing just fine.
    With Coach K's recruits I think Pitino would have had two national titles since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by leib0039 View Post

11-7 is the best conference record in like 22 years. The previous coach didn’t have a winning conference record season. It’s proven to be a challenge over the last 50 years. History has said if we do well we probably cheated to do so.
    Let’s see how this season plays out...

No reason the gophers cant have Wisconsin like success

Gophers need a great coach to do what UW did. Bo Ryan has the best winning % in conference history. It can only be done with a great coach. BGA, you can not prove that Pitino would have won anything with those players at Duke. To suggest what you did is to say that Pitino is equal to K. That may fly in a small circle amongt homers but is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Gophers need a great coach to do what UW did. Bo Ryan has the best winning % in conference history. It can only be done with a great coach. BGA, you can not prove that Pitino would have won anything with those players at Duke. To suggest what you did is to say that Pitino is equal to K. That may fly in a small circle amongt homers but is laughable.
    Well, pretty safe bet that Coach K would not have won it all with the Gophers roster. Not saying Pitino would have won it all with the Duke roster, but think he'd have better odds than K with the Gophers roster.

Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    Well, pretty safe bet that Coach K would not have won it all with the Gophers roster. Not saying Pitino would have won it all with the Duke roster, but think he'd have better odds than K with the Gophers roster.
    K would not have won a national title with the Gophers roster but he would not have that roster and despite my not being a fan of his he did build incredible success and will always be known as a far better coach than Pitino.

K would not have won a national title with the Gophers roster but he would not have that roster and despite my not being a fan of his he did build incredible success and will always be known as a far better coach than Pitino.
    Here is a question for you Built.

Here are the records of two young coaches, who do you think has done a better job of coaching?

Coach A:

8 years as a HC

Overall record is 111W-106L for a 51.2% record.

Conference record is 19W-37L for a 33.9%

No NCAA appearances

Coach B:

7 years as a HC

Overall record is 130W-106L for a 55.1% record.

Conference record is 40W-70L for a 36.4%

2 NCAA appearances

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Here is a question for you Built.

Here are the records of two young coaches, who do you think has done a better job of coaching?

Coach A:

8 years as a HC

Overall record is 111W-106L for a 51.2% record.

Conference record is 19W-37L for a 33.9%

No NCAA appearances

Coach B:

7 years as a HC

Overall record is 130W-106L for a 55.1% record.

Conference record is 40W-70L for a 36.4%

2 NCAA appearances
    You counted Army ? You do know what the qualifications were to make the NCAA's were for those 8 years you counted. What of the 1 st 6 years at a power conference school ? Our guy has one of the lowest 10% of coaches given this long at a power conference school. Are you predicting that Pitino will have a better career than a coach i do not even like ? Or are you just saying he is better than K period ? What is this really about ? Pitino's own father knows who the best in the game are and he would not even name his own child. Where do you actually rank him among all power 6 coaches ?

You counted Army ? You do know what the qualifications were to make the NCAA's were for those 8 years you counted. What of the 1 st 6 years at a power conference school ? Our guy has one of the lowest 10% of coaches given this long at a power conference school. Are you predicting that Pitino will have a better career than a coach i do not even like ? Or are you just saying he is better than K period ? What is this really about ? Pitino's own father knows who the best in the game are and he would not even name his own child. Where do you actually rank him among all power 6 coaches ?
    The point is that people had patience with Coach K and his record early in his career. No one is arguing that K is not the far better coach only that we don't know what is ahead for Pitino, just as it was unknown about coach K after 8 years. No one was calling him great back then based on his record.

I believe he was only trying to illustrate that Pitino still has potential for a very good career going forward. Obviously not to the level of coach K as he has the most all time wins in ncaa history, right? Can we talk recruiting again, this is an exciting month!

Is this even a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    The point is that people had patience with Coach K and his record early in his career. No one is arguing that K is not the far better coach only that we don't know what is ahead for Pitino, just as it was unknown about coach K after 8 years. No one was calling him great back then based on his record.
    By the time he got the Duke job, Bob Knight was telling people that K was as good as he had seen. Other basketball people saw the culture he built and he won the conference earlier than we got done here. If someone wants the patience approach fine. Already stated that i supported him coming back this year. Just finish ahead of UW once in 7 years ! Apologize to the board for my role in the thread hijack. I ran the data on coaches that achieved on a high level and they all won their conference by year 6 in a power conference. Early success portends greatness.

By the time he got the Duke job, Bob Knight was telling people that K was as good as he had seen. Other basketball people saw the culture he built and he won the conference earlier than we got done here. If someone wants the patience approach fine. Already stated that i supported him coming back this year. Just finish ahead of UW once in 7 years ! Apologize to the board for my role in the thread hijack. I ran the data on coaches that achieved on a high level and they all won their conference by year 6 in a power conference. Early success portends greatness.
    Built Badgers always sings the praises of u w. Never fails.