All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not shocked on this one with us having Mitchell and then potentially Garcia in the fold. Let's hope he chooses Georgetown!

Respectfully I disagree. I believe they would have still gotten a degree somewhere else. Could have ended up trying to play Euro ball maybe.

They weren't good enough for the gophers but you think they were good enough to play professionally in Europe? I don't know what you have heard, while it's not NBA talent level wise, it's a lot harder to play professionally in Europe than it is to play D1 basketball. A lot of the guys are fringe NBA players.

I honestly don't think Walton is interested in being a Gopher.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

College basketball is completely different now with the "transfer portal", odds are some one is going to transfer, teams now operate under that assumption, look at Wisconsin, they have more commitments than available scholarships right now, and I think we can all agree they aren't a team typically known for "creaning".

Not exactly true. Trevor Anderson, a transfer from Green Bay a couple seasons ago, will be on scholarship this year, but likely not next year. He came to Wisconsin as a walk-on and will presumably go back to being one when the Badgers 5-man class of 2020 joins the program.

Not exactly true. Trevor Anderson, a transfer from Green Bay a couple seasons ago, will be on scholarship this year, but likely not next year. He came to Wisconsin as a walk-on and will presumably go back to being one when the Badgers 5-man class of 2020 joins the program.

Evan flood has already said that he earned his scholarship and it isn't just for 1 year

Seriously, this has not been a recurring theme at all. And there are a lot of people on this board that think this could be a real problem this year. Let's wait until we lock down Mashburn first. I think there is an overwhelming amount of people thinking that Dawson is coming here too. Although I think that is still a possibility I think getting his committment isn't going to be easy. We have a long way to go boys.

Assuming that this year is the same as the last 6 in terms of scholarship availability is a fallacy in itself. Recruiting is picking up - there is no doubt that we could use that 4th scholarship for a valuable young prospect even if Walton isn't interested.

Mashburn is a guaranteed lock - Berry's timing for committing to NW points to this. Pitino likely told him that Mashburn has the spot.

As for Garcia, why so negative? He isn't a guarantee like Mashburn is but I wouldn't say we have a "long way to go". He's spoken glowingly of the program and of Pitino - this is the best spot we've been in with a 5* recruit in a long time.

Seriously though, Curry should just do whatever the team doctors recommend. Another lengthy rehab just to get hurt again would be crushing for him. Might be time for him to hang it up and focus on getting a degree unfortunately.

He joined the program as a walk on, with no promise of a scholarship. Gard's not the type to crean a player or take a scholarship away from someone who was recruited as a scholarship player (e.g. Hedstrom, who came on a 5 for 4 deal).

Assuming that this year is the same as the last 6 in terms of scholarship availability is a fallacy in itself. Recruiting is picking up - there is no doubt that we could use that 4th scholarship for a valuable young prospect even if Walton isn't interested.

Mashburn is a guaranteed lock - Berry's timing for committing to NW points to this. Pitino likely told him that Mashburn has the spot.

As for Garcia, why so negative? He isn't a guarantee like Mashburn is but I wouldn't say we have a "long way to go". He's spoken glowingly of the program and of Pitino - this is the best spot we've been in with a 5* recruit in a long time.

Seriously though, Curry should just do whatever the team doctors recommend. Another lengthy rehab just to get hurt again would be crushing for him. Might be time for him to hang it up and focus on getting a degree unfortunately.

Parcival, just read it again and you point out something I should have been more clear on. When I used the phrase “we have a long way to go boys” it was in reference to needing a 4th scholly, not in gaining Dawson’s commitment. I agree our chances at Mashburn are bordering 100% but getting Dawson and then needing another scholarship for somebody like Walton or somebody in his league is asking a lot at this juncture.

One recruit at a time...

They weren't good enough for the gophers but you think they were good enough to play professionally in Europe? I don't know what you have heard, while it's not NBA talent level wise, it's a lot harder to play professionally in Europe than it is to play D1 basketball. A lot of the guys are fringe NBA players.

A lot of people seem to think "Europe" is one league. There are absolutely pro leagues in Europe that are lower quality than Big Ten basketball.

Parcival, just read it again and you point out something I should have been more clear on. When I used the phrase “we have a long way to go boys” it was in reference to needing a 4th scholly, not in gaining Dawson’s commitment. I agree our chances at Mashburn are bordering 100% but getting Dawson and then needing another scholarship for somebody like Walton or somebody in his league is asking a lot at this juncture.

One recruit at a time...

Ah okay I see what you're saying... I would never expect Pitino and co to take Curry's scholly away and then go and get a top 75 recruit. However, I could see a 4th scholarship being of some use for a late spring commitment or grad transfer for the 2020 season (providing Curry doesn't recover).

Its harder to play pro ball in Europe but kids leave pro ball and come play D1? There are multiple different levels and leagues, not that far out of the realm of possibility for Bakary to play professionally in Europe. A kid from WIU

Gas probably not, you guys are right on that.

Here is the stats from a 7 footer from WIU that is now playing overseas. Yeah not that hard to imagine that Bakary could have done it, and yes, Gas probably wouldn't have but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

1.jpg

Its harder to play pro ball in Europe but kids leave pro ball and come play D1? There are multiple different levels and leagues, not that far out of the realm of possibility for Bakary to play professionally in Europe. A kid from WIU

Gas probably not, you guys are right on that.

Here is the stats from a 7 footer from WIU that is now playing overseas. Yeah not that hard to imagine that Bakary could have done it, and yes, Gas probably wouldn't have but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

View attachment 6356

EDIT: Also, a lot of these guys are fringe NBA players? The total number of professional players in Europe is without a doubt way higher than the number of players in the NBA and its development leagues. Not a very accurate statement.

Gopher offer from April 2018 committed today

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ah okay I see what you're saying... I would never expect Pitino and co to take Curry's scholly away and then go and get a top 75 recruit. However, I could see a 4th scholarship being of some use for a late spring commitment or grad transfer for the 2020 season (providing Curry doesn't recover).

Could always make Curry a grad assistant like he did with Otto if Curry's doesn't recover his health.

Could always make Curry a grad assistant like he did with Otto if Curry's doesn't recover his health.

Oto Osenieks... that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I had no idea he was a grad assistant.

That would be a very respectful thing to do. I wish Curry all the luck going forward whatever that is. Of course not knowing everything with his latest setback, someone else mentioned Shannon Brooks having multiple injuries and coming back with hard work. Who knows, maybe he has it in him to make it back. As a fan of him, I hope so. He deserves it, but if he cannot continue, then being a grad assistant may be better for him and his future. He may turn into a great coach some day.

There are quite a few Division 2 basketball players from the U.S. thriving in European leagues these days. I can think of 3 players, right now, who played for the local college team in Chico with-in the past 5 years (none of whom could have played for the Gophers, although I could possibly see them getting a roster spot with some of the lesser known D-1 programs as a reserve) who are doing well in European Leagues. There's another who just started his pro career in Australia and is off to a very good start. That's just from Chico State. I wonder how many more from other D-2 programs in America are playing in Europe and making a decent living at it.

There are enough D-2 players who have done well in European Leagues over the past 10 years or so, that, while I wouldn't say they're the rule, I also wouldn't say the guys I mentioned are the exception either.

Last edited:

We are in the heart of 2020 recruiting. This thread needs to stay on topic. If you would like to discuss grad assistants or Euro League basketball, we encourage you to start a new thread. Off-topic posts will be deleted.

We are in the heart of 2020 recruiting. This thread needs to stay on topic. If you would like to discuss grad assistants or Euro League basketball, we encourage you to start a new thread. Off-topic posts will be deleted.
Apologies. Just followed up on Curry. I forgot the thread.

Jamal Mashburn Jr. is ranked 88 on 247, is making his announcement tomorrow and he doesn’t have a thread or any buzz? What gives?

Jamal Mashburn Jr. is ranked 88 on 247, is making his announcement tomorrow and he doesn’t have a thread or any buzz? What gives?

Same thing I was thinking, I suspect a big weekend in football had something to do with that...

Not much to speculate with Mashburn at this point, many will be shocked if he does not commit to MN.

Not much to speculate with Mashburn at this point, many will be shocked if he does not commit to MN.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're all saying the same thing tomorrow at 1 pm. Hope it sets the table for Garcia and/ or Walton.

Mashburn Jr. is a huuuuuuuuuge deal! I’ll most definitely be watching tomorrow!

Things are very much clarifying for the fall class for us. With this news and assuming we get Mashburn this hour, it looks like we are down to Garcia (seems to be main focus for sure) and/or (maaaybe) Walton (but it's been really tough to gauge his interest in the U).

Anybody heard if Garcia ended up scheduling another visit yet? I know he has Indiana for Oct 26-27, but if he doesn't go somewhere this weekend, seems like he is starting to run up against it time-wise.

Garcia, Mashburn Jr and Mitchell would be a really intriguing class of 3. If another scholarship opened up, I think Richard would have some flexibility on what he adds (grad transfer, sit out transfer or incoming freshman) but without a 4th scholarship, a 5 star and a pair of 4 stars is pretty pretty pretty good.

Things are very much clarifying for the fall class for us. With this news and assuming we get Mashburn this hour, it looks like we are down to Garcia (seems to be main focus for sure) and/or (maaaybe) Walton (but it's been really tough to gauge his interest in the U).

Anybody heard if Garcia ended up scheduling another visit yet? I know he has Indiana for Oct 26-27, but if he doesn't go somewhere this weekend, seems like he is starting to run up against it time-wise.

We must get a PF in this class. If it is not Garcia this fall (as we all hope) then I have to think we are shopping for one in the spring. Muscadin loved it hear (blown away) by all reports, so to me this is another indication that Muscadin knew he was behind Garcia and that the staff believes they can land him. Otherwise I have to believe we would have made the kid's final four.
We certainly have a great opportunity for someone to start at the PF next year.

Top Bottom