All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

All boards will have posters who have varied opinions. Built brings one here with respect and isn't a troll like the eddy springs dude or just a negative Nancy like DPo

And Built takes unneeded shots at Pitino all the time. His intentions are not as pure as you seem to believe.

That’s not necessarily a fair stat. Wisconsin has a bunch of MN kids who are “walk one” or were not offered. Even Davison wasn’t as high a priority as others. Carlson they won fair and square. Be more alarmed that they didn’t make go after a Davison over a Wright.

I don't blame Pitino for prioritizing Wright over Davison. McKinley is clearly a better player and he's also not a dirty nut puncher.

Pitino can still and Garcia and Walton and hit a home run in recruiting in state. He can still land Garcia and some combination of Berry/Sibley/Mashburn Jr, etc and hit a home run in recruiting overall. If he fails to land both Garcia and Walton, that's an absolute failure. You simply cannot explain having 5 top 100 kids in your state and not landing any of them. There is not combination of players the Gophers are currently connected to talent wise that would make up for missing Suggs, Garcia, Dainja, Walton, and Carlson. The best case scenario is still possible, but the worst case scenario is too.

As for Pitino versus Gard, nobody can argue Pitino is better. We had Murphy and Coffey last year while they had Happ and? Reuvers or Davison as their second best player? Wisconsin finished 14-6. The Gophers? 9-11. The previous year the Badgers lost both Trice and King for the entire season. They were predicted to finish behind the Gophers before their injuries. Their second best player that season was definitely Davison who was outside the top 100 recruits on most lists and was just a Freshman. They had two walk-ons regularly appear in games. They finished the year 7-11 in the B1G. The Gophers lost Lynch, Curry and Amir Coffey only played in 5 conference games but had Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason for the entire season . The Gophers went 4-14 and won just 2 games without Amir and Reggie. So many excuses were made for the Gophers on here, but they had more left than Wisconsin...and finished 3 games behind them.

This is a rock solid post.

Even as a Pitino supporter and a HUGE Badger hater, how can this be argued?

I'm happy I don't have defend Davison court antics. Ruevers appears to be nice piece, but not great. Badgers and builts special season ended up bounced, in what round?

Every gopher fan knows WI has been a much better program. Built constantly reminding us is annoying, but he's giving his opinion and entitled. Him trying spin Gaard inherited a mess is laughable however. Gaard was bos lead recruiter, one shaped roster too. GG let's see how his career plays out

This isn't sky falling, MN is in on several recruits. Let's play things out before we panic.

This is important year for Richard. He's seat should be warm.

Last edited:

This is a rock solid post.

Even as a Pitino supporter and a HUGE Badger hater, how can this be argued?

It was a really good post by EG- however I would take exception with one thing. Let's say we don't get Walton or Garcia, but we do get Sibley, Muscadin, Mashburn and Berry. That would be a very, very good class and likely a top 25 class. That's a failure? I want Walton and Garcia badly and think they would fit great here. The Gophers have recruited them hard. What more can you do if a kid wants to go elsewhere?

As to Gard, he is the better coach at the moment, because he has the better track record. That may change.

I don't blame Pitino for prioritizing Wright over Davison. McKinley is clearly a better player and he's also not a dirty nut puncher.

I’d argue that he’s clearly the better player and wasn’t a guarantee to be enrolled.

For the first time, I have explored the “ignore” feature on the forum for some notable posters and, what do you know?? This thread now actually reads like a 2020 recruiting thread!

This is true of any commit from anywhere to mostly anywhere. Kids choose relationships and where they think they are developed the best. Remember it is always easier to see flaws in home state than others because you’ve experienced and seen the failures.

For anyone sensitive to Pitino criticism you may want to skip the tweets in james twitter.

All boards will have posters who have varied opinions. Built brings one here with respect and isn't a troll like the eddy springs dude or just a negative Nancy like DPo

You mean like you on Buckyville tonight trolling? I question your origins around here. A Buckyvillian in disguise I suspect. Manderson1984 is a Badger fan like me!

Come on builtbadgers. Specifics.

Felt he picked the best program and coach that offered. Those two things were not close. Loved the feel of a winning culture. They were as prepared in all the right ways that a family could be for knowing what to look for. They asked a ton of thoughtful questions. More than that they have literally seen the last 6 years play out in front of Ben's formative years. Wise to remember that the family really understands the game. Not going to give exact quotes as that will not serve anyone. He made the best decision for himself. No big deal. Last year Oturu made the best decision for him. He had other priorities. The bummer on Carlson is he is a 4 year kid, very versatile, very smart.

You mean like you on Buckyville tonight trolling? I question your origins around here. A Buckyvillian in disguise I suspect. Manderson1984 is a Badger fan like me!

First time I’d visited and notice one my posts got some traction. Went on to explain the purpose as it was being misconstrued. I am a gopher fan first but have met Greg Gard and have a high level of respect for him as a coach. I tend to like coaches over programs with the exception of the gophers.

Felt he picked the best program and coach that offered. Those two things were not close. Loved the feel of a winning culture. They were as prepared in all the right ways that a family could be for knowing what to look for. They asked a ton of thoughtful questions. More than that they have literally seen the last 6 years play out in front of Ben's formative years. Wise to remember that the family really understands the game. Not going to give exact quotes as that will not serve anyone. He made the best decision for himself. No big deal. Last year Oturu made the best decision for him. He had other priorities. The bummer on Carlson is he is a 4 year kid, very versatile, very smart.

Built, you seem to have the ear of several recruits and their families as an apparent advisor during the recruiting process, and in other posts you’ve referenced providing recommendations to them on coaches and programs. So here’s a question: have you ever recommended Pitino and the U of M to a Minnesota recruit (or one from elsewhere) when asked?

Let’s see. Fundamentally sound player and Caucasian. Chooses Wisconsin over Minnesota. Sounds about right. Is there something I’m missing?

Time to move along...

Built, you seem to have the ear of several recruits and their families as an apparent advisor during the recruiting process, and in other posts you’ve referenced providing recommendations to them on coaches and programs. So here’s a question: have you ever recommended Pitino and the U of M to a Minnesota recruit (or one from elsewhere) when asked?

When asked,yes. If it meets all the things they are looking for better than somewhere else, yes. Lets say someone simply had staying home as his number one priority than i would tell them what a great spot this is, especially if early playing time was a high priority because that will come easier here than some other places. If someone asks who i think is the better coach, no matter the school i will tell them. If by chance academics are the priority then they need to research their field of interest. Unless of course there is a Stanford offer, then the answer is always Stanford ! It is usually answered by a return question asking them who they honestly feel is the best coach and best person at the best school that the have offers from. After all, it is the first really large adult decision. Most every kid and family i have talked to was incredible bright about what their priorities were and what coaches were all about. That is why creating your defined culture is and you target kids and families that meet all the criteria of your culture. Some have so well defined that the kinds pf kids they look for actually come to them. It is always fluid though and you have misses or kids chasing something too big in regard to competitive roster space as it relates to playing time and thus transfer out. But initially, 80% pick the best coach, program, even conference that their offers give. I believe it is just another opinion and can seldom point to it being a deciding factor. It is not as though people are flocking to me for advice. Now days it is 6-8 kids annually, maybe two dozen high school coaches each year and a half a dozen AAU guys. There is no way to out recruit the blue bloods so the idea is to create a specific way you can play, find the high character guys that are really good and that you will have as upperclassmen. When you become respected for your culture then you have more kids wanting to come. There are wonderful players from all over the world. Pre Pitino i did tell Kam Taylor, leuer and Jordan Taylor they would be getting far superior coaching at UW. I did tell the Jones boys , given their priorities that Duke was a far better choice, big games, best conference , legendary school, iconic coach, playing for championships. That literally meant nothing to them, they had already run the exercise of answering the questions dozens of times. These jobs that i am so critical of are so difficult. It only works when you build a rock solid foundation that bares your identity so everyone knows within one year what you stand for. I can list the 15 best programs of the last 5 years and their identity is so strong that everyone knows what it is. When you do not do that people just do not know what they are looking at.

I’m pretty sure everyone knew Carlson wasn’t coming to the U so there’s no need for such an uproar

Marcus: Wisconsin deals the Gophers double whammy in basketball recruiting

The Border Battle between Richard Pitino’s and Greg Gard’s basketball programs won’t happen on the court until February, but the fight between the Gophers and Badgers in recruiting Minnesota kids already played out this fall.

And that round went to Wisconsin.

In less than 24 hours, the Badgers plucked two four-star big men out of the Twin Cities with commitments from Eastview’s Steven Crowl on Tuesday and East Ridge’s Ben Carlson on Wednesday.

The Badgers’ 2020 recruiting class will be their fourth straight with players from Minnesota; current starters Nate Reuvers and Brad Davison came from the class of 2017. That doesn’t sit well with Gophers faithful just by itself.

But Wisconsin’s success locally adds to the overall growing concern that Pitino could strike out for the second straight year with in-state targets. This is one of the most talent-rich classes Minnesota has produced, with up to nine players expected to sign with Power Five conference schools.

Uncommitted local seniors Jalen Suggs, Dawson Garcia and Kerwin Walton have not scheduled official visits with the Gophers yet.

http://www.startribune.com/wisconsi...le-whammy-in-basketball-recruiting/560732172/

Go Gophers!!

What about his recent praise for recent recruiting classes? Our improved Defense over the season? Built prospective on here is a lot better than dudes coming on here to just whine. He can at least justify his opinions with data and research

Agreed.

According to Corey Evans of Rivals, Ty Berry is down to a final two of Minnesota and Northwestern. Not surprising since he cancelled his officials to Kansas and Ok State. Linstead really needs to close the deal on this one.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

First time I’d visited and notice one my posts got some traction. Went on to explain the purpose as it was being misconstrued. I am a gopher fan first but have met Greg Gard and have a high level of respect for him as a coach. I tend to like coaches over programs with the exception of the gophers.

Fair enough. I don't think I'm a Troll. I try to be respectful.

According to Corey Evans of Rivals, Ty Berry is down to a final two of Minnesota and Northwestern. Not surprising since he cancelled his officials to Kansas and Ok State. Linstead really needs to close the deal on this one.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

He would be a solid first get for this class! and hopefully get it rolling! did it mention any sort of timeframe? I would guess fairly soon?

We can all claim season tickets and donations on a message board, can't we? I guess when I'm on a message board I'm going to look at a person's narrative that's been being pushed at every given chance (for the past year) over a claim that cannot be proven. This dude is on here for three things:

1. To troll Gopher fans under the guise of a "supporter with proper expectations because I've seen how it should be done elsewhere"
2. To continually name-drop his "relationships" with coaches who are so much better than Pitino - why can't the rest of us idiots just see that?
3. To drop random tidbits and names in recruiting threads that have NOTHING to do with Gophers recruiting.

Thank you! THANK YOU! 100% on point. He’s fooled a lot of people here. Not me. I’m not going to go into it, but his information he presents with word salads is not near accurate. Especially when it comes to things “insiders” have told him or he knows. I don’t buy most of it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom