All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

He would be a solid first get for this class! and hopefully get it rolling! did it mention any sort of timeframe? I would guess fairly soon?
Didn't mention any timeframe, but I would guess fairly soon as well.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

He would be a solid first get for this class! and hopefully get it rolling! did it mention any sort of timeframe? I would guess fairly soon?

The toughest one to get is the first. After that the pressure mounts to grab spots. Right now all the pressure is on the coaches and the recruits are free and easy until the openings shrink.

How are we on instate recruits? Usually, they’re best placed to know if there’s a program problem. For example (and just an example), if the circuit around the state’s best players don’t think RP can coach, they go elsewhere. It’s a canary in a coal mine thing.

Well at least Lindsay Whalen can recruit.

Can she? Call me completely unimpressed up to this point considering her pedigree as a player and local icon. That's not to say that I'm impressed with Pitino's recruiting acumen either. I thought this new Athletic Village was going to make all the difference in the world when it comes to recruiting but apparently illegal cash payments, hookers and giving parents "jobs" still rule the roost in college basketball.

Carlson is a nice player but I couldn't care less about not landing him at this point. I'll wait to see how the rest of recruiting plays out before making a final judgement on that. As for Crowl, I would rather have him eat up a scholarship of the turds to our East for the next four (4) years than one of ours.

Last edited:

How are we on instate recruits? Usually, they’re best placed to know if there’s a program problem. For example (and just an example), if the circuit around the state’s best players don’t think RP can coach, they go elsewhere. It’s a canary in a coal mine thing.

Pitino has a fine relationship with HS coaches. His staff is decent and repaired a lot of the damage Tubby did. I do have and have mentioned numerous times that the relationship with D1 is not healthy and I don't think the program helps the U.

Pitino has a fine relationship with HS coaches. His staff is decent and repaired a lot of the damage Tubby did. I do have and have mentioned numerous times that the relationship with D1 is not healthy and I don't think the program helps the U.

This is a big concern for me. Since I’ve followed the program (06-07), I’ve seen plenty of references to general local influences (aau/high schools/basketball dads/basketball moms) having poor opinions of or relationships with the U. Folks seem to become resentful of so much in this town, and I think the culture itself could be partly to blame for the lack of interest in the U from local athletes.

Any idea how much are kids are being influenced by petty behavior from the adults in the room? Obviously the ultimate choice comes down to beat coaches/fit, but I get the sense that a lot of people in the area are actively working against the gophers. Reasons in the past seem to be the from the Saunders camp, the anti Teague camp, the my son didn’t get enough attention camp, the lakeville camp, and whatever the heck is up at D1.

Is this real or am I reading into too many things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think it's Pitino's approach. I was at the Prior Lake game against Eastview last winter where Pitino came and watched. He hardly talked to Dawson's dad, he sat behind the PL bench. I'm sure they chatted after the game but Pitino's kids were there running around and the local dads were chatting him (Pitino) up. Pitino seems to have a laid back approach unlike some guys. I guess last Wednesday they were spotted at Savage Bonfire, the whole Garcia family and Pitino. We will see what happens with Garcia but he seems like a wanting more type kid.

I just think it's Pitino's approach. I was at the Prior Lake game against Eastview last winter where Pitino came and watched. He hardly talked to Dawson's dad, he sat behind the PL bench. I'm sure they chatted after the game but Pitino's kids were there running around and the local dads were chatting him (Pitino) up. Pitino seems to have a laid back approach unlike some guys. I guess last Wednesday they were spotted at Savage Bonfire, the whole Garcia family and Pitino. We will see what happens with Garcia but he seems like a wanting more type kid.

Have you seen other coaches at games who talk more with the player's parents? Or who are you comparing Pitino to in this scenario? Maybe Dawson's dad wanted to watch his son play instead of focusing on small talk? Seems like you're grasping at straws here.

Going up against Kansas for Walton muscadin and Garcia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Kansas has zero players committed so far. Do you like our chances? I don't.

And Kansas has zero players committed so far. Do you like our chances? I don't.

I imagine they’d take Garcia, but Walton and Muscadin could be plan B or plan C type players for them.

I asked this question in another thread but this one is more appropriate. How would Gopher fans here feel if we had filled out our class with the Madsen Bros. Crowl and Carlson, with Garcia, Walton, Muscadin, Mashburn and Berry still out there??

I asked this question in another thread but this one is more appropriate. How would Gopher fans here feel if we had filled out our class with the Madsen Bros. Crowl and Carlson, with Garcia, Walton, Muscadin, Mashburn and Berry still out there??

This is a good perspective.

Would be hard to gain 4 commitments with 3 open schollys, but I would not have been as high on that class as I would if we sign muscadin, berry, walton

Would be hard to gain 4 commitments with 3 open schollys, but I would not have been as high on that class as I would if we sign muscadin, berry, walton

I know but many have said we could over sign.

Can she? Call me completely unimpressed up to this point considering her pedigree as a player and local icon. That's not to say that I'm impressed with Pitino's recruiting acumen either. I thought this new Athletic Village was going to make all the difference in the world when it comes to recruiting but apparently illegal cash payments, hookers and giving parents "jobs" still rule the roost in college basketball.

Carlson is a nice player but I couldn't care less about not landing him at this point. I'll wait to see how the rest of recruiting plays out before making a final judgement on that. As for Crowl, I would rather have him eat up a scholarship of the turds to our East for the next four (4) years than one of ours.

Really???

https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/19/five-star-ohio-recruit-commits-to-gophers-womens-basketball/

I think that would be a pretty solid class, with Mason Madsen being a questionable signing, especially after taking what appears on the surface to be a bit of a desperation signing of Greenlee at the same position in the spring. I don't mean to be unfair to Greenlee without seeing him suit up first, just saying that signing a guy with his offer list that late in the recruiting cycle makes it look like they were just trying to get a warm body to play spot minutes at point guard, and with Mason Madsen, you now arguably have two of those at the same position, what some would say is the most important position on the floor. Feels like ball handler, wing, and big man are the targets for the 3 scholarships we have, and that class would cover it with a bit of star power with Carlson in the top 100. It would actually be fairly similar to our 2019 class, with a top 100 big (Carlson/Ihnen), a top 150 guard (Gabe Madsen/Williams), a ball handler with a mid-major recruiting profile (Mason Madsen/Greenlee), and then Crowl and Freeman is probably the least adept comparison, as Crowl is ranked significantly higher, Freeman was offered by the Gophers in the summer before his senior year after a live evaluation I believe, so there seemed to be at least a bit of early confidence that he was a guy Pitino wanted, as opposed to making a late offer to any old tall guy they could find.

I think it would be a good class that at the very least doesn't set the program back or anything. There would be some skepticism of the Mason Madsen signing. It would get a bit of undue hype due to being 4 Minnesota kids, in the same way that I thought the 2018 class was a little overhyped, as I thought Omersa and Kalscheur would be more of the type of player who doesn't become a steady, regular contributor until he's at least a junior, but Kalscheur exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations.

And then there would likely be a few fans laser-focused on the college careers of Dainja and Garcia, using any success they have as an indictment against the coaching staff and still asking "Why can't Pitino get the best Minnesota kids?" No one would care about missing out on the out-of-staters. No one ever talks about Shamorie Ponds, Talen Horton-Tucker, Tyrese Haliburton, or Wade Baldwin even though they've all been quite good in college, or received NBA hype, and had either expressed interest in us, or weren't ranked so highly that got lured away by far more prestigious programs or anything. Marcus Zegarowski ended up scoring double figures as a freshman last year at Creighton, shot over 40% from 3, and had a nearly 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, but you're gonna see McKinley Wright brought up here 10 more times before you ever see Zegarowski's name again.

Oh, and because the tall white guy (Michael Hurt, Joey King, Elliot Eliason, Colton Iverson) always gets an out-sized tongue-lashing from fans, Steven Crowl would become the most hated player on the team if he goes a on cold streak with his shooting, fouls a little too much, or gets beaten on defense. Then we get an 8 page long thread titled, "Should Crowl be playing D3 instead?"

I know but many have said we could over sign.

Pitino hasn't oversigned yet, so I guess I'm not expecting it. But if the pattern continues, we'll end up with at least one spare scholarship in the spring to grab a transfer of some sort.

On the latest Talk Gopher Buckets podcast, Ryan James said that people around the program are very confident they will land either Ty Berry or Jamal Mashburn Jr.

On the latest Talk Gopher Buckets podcast, Ryan James said that people around the program are very confident they will land either Ty Berry or Jamal Mashburn Jr.

I agree, the staff has really put in work with those 2, seems especially linstead has put a lot of time in with berry

This is such a hypothetical it’s almost as impossible to respond to. Of course everyone would take the 2nd group in a heartbeat. How many of those guys we actually end up with is the million dollar question. If we get 3 of them it might be the greatest class in our history.

We also need a ball handler and doubt we would have taken both Crowl and Carlson in a 3 person class. I don’t think there is any scenario where the staff would have taken the combination of players you propose.

Last edited:

Awesome question. They would have accepted Carlson at any time. Often bird in the hand is better but i am very confidant that Mashburn or Berry will be here.

Any chance we take both Mashburn and Berry or are we only looking to add one?

Top Bottom