All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Take it for whatever it's worth, but I played golf today with a guy very tapped into athletics at Prior Lake -- Pitino has a very good chance to keep Dawson Garcia home. The rumors that had circulated he might go to prep school his senior year are false, he's staying at Prior Lake. His parents want him to stay home, though it's up to him, and they like Pitino.

He's had a few recent big-time offers has had conversations with Coach K, but no Duke offer as of yet. Based on what I was told today, I wouldn't be surprised if Garcia picks the Gophers.

That's nice to hear. Hopefully he commits soon and helps us recruit Walton. Did that person mention anything about his remaining official visits or if he will take one to Minnesota?

I would not be surprised at all if Garcia picked Minnesota. What is he waiting for ? Have the parents met the other coaches yet ? Or is the family waiting to see the rest of the home visits ? He can commit right now if he knows that this is the coach he wants to play for. Do it, would love to see it.

More backhanded shots at our current coach. Your pathetic.

More backhanded shots at our current coach. Your pathetic.

That is what you have, more insults. Nothing backhanded about it. I am not afraid to criticize straight forward with facts, no need to do it any other way. Seriously asking the questions as to why any recruit does not pull the trigger early versus the ones that do. Some are already full for 2020, most wait. What are the opinions on why he would wait ?

I would not be surprised at all if Garcia picked Minnesota. What is he waiting for ? Have the parents met the other coaches yet ? Or is the family waiting to see the rest of the home visits ? He can commit right now if he knows that this is the coach he wants to play for. Do it, would love to see it.
It is the most important decision of his young life, perhaps he wants to make sure he makes the right one. Coffey commitef in late September, Reid Travis committed to Stanford day one of the fall signing period, and the first game of the Pitino era. I think Travis still tried to get free tickets that night lol, but that's probably urban legend

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is what you have, more insults. Nothing backhanded about it. I am not afraid to criticize straight forward with facts, no need to do it any other way. Seriously asking the questions as to why any recruit does not pull the trigger early versus the ones that do. Some are already full for 2020, most wait. What are the opinions on why he would wait ?

That is not an insult, built. That is reality. And it was backhanded. Poor form for a supposed Gopher backer.

Lay out your "facts" around Garcia and why he has not yet committed. You must have them, based on your post.

No one is full for 2020. Signing period has not yet happened, correct?

That is not an insult, built. That is reality. And it was backhanded. Poor form for a supposed Gopher backer.

Lay out your "facts" around Garcia and why he has not yet committed. You must have them, based on your post.

No one is full for 2020. Signing period has not yet happened, correct?

I do not have the facts on Garcia, that is why i asked. Perhaps he is not interested in home visits from blue bloods that have not yet offered. Yes , all commits are verbal but there are schools that are rock solid with their verbals and that leaves those teams without a spot for those still out there. I do not know any coach who accepts more verbals than spots he has available. They will spot recruit in the event something else opens in the spring or in the event of a recruit transferring in after choosing somewhere else for the first year or two. Dawson could verbal right now if he wanted to. As of today he has not done so for whatever reason. In recruiting it is listed as a commit until there is a decommit at signing. Research reveals what schools have commits and how that fills or does not fill the number they have to offer.

That's nice to hear. Hopefully he commits soon and helps us recruit Walton. Did that person mention anything about his remaining official visits or if he will take one to Minnesota?

The conversation didn't really get that far, I kept it casual. Don't know if he'll take an official to MN or not and I don't know that it matters, he's been to campus multiple times and regularly talks to the coaches. From what I gathered Marquette is the biggest competition at the moment. I know he wants to have a decision made in the fall.

The biggest takeaway I had is that he's giving MN serious consideration. I would've been told otherwise if the interest wasn't legitimate.

Out of all the Gopher's 2020 offers, only 10-15% have actually committed to a school at this point. The reality is as well, verbal commitments mean virtually nothing at this stage. I am not surprised Garcia has not committed to a school yet because it is still fairly early. Why hasn't Suggs committed to Gonzaga yet? Everyone needs to relax and stop panicking. The process will play out, and if Pitino is who we want him to be, he will fill the remaining scholarships with quality B1G players. Look at how top player like Hurt waited until spring signing period. It could be awhile before we hear anything from any of the recruits, as long as they do not officially sign anywhere else, I'd like to thing we are in the mix until that happens.

Out of all the Gopher's 2020 offers, only 10-15% have actually committed to a school at this point. The reality is as well, verbal commitments mean virtually nothing at this stage. I am not surprised Garcia has not committed to a school yet because it is still fairly early. Why hasn't Suggs committed to Gonzaga yet? Everyone needs to relax and stop panicking. The process will play out, and if Pitino is who we want him to be, he will fill the remaining scholarships with quality B1G players. Look at how top player like Hurt waited until spring signing period. It could be awhile before we hear anything from any of the recruits, as long as they do not officially sign anywhere else, I'd like to thing we are in the mix until that happens.

Agree that there is no reason to panic but not that verbals are meaningless. Look at UVA and tell me you think that class is not locked in. They did the same with the Guy,Jerome,Hunter class and these 3 match those and are all in. They know where they want to go period. I will track all verbals, hell my son will and there will be very few who back out. A program gets on average one back out per decade. Do we even have any that backed out here in Coach Pitino's time here ?

The conversation didn't really get that far, I kept it casual. Don't know if he'll take an official to MN or not and I don't know that it matters, he's been to campus multiple times and regularly talks to the coaches. From what I gathered Marquette is the biggest competition at the moment. I know he wants to have a decision made in the fall.

The biggest takeaway I had is that he's giving MN serious consideration. I would've been told otherwise if the interest wasn't legitimate.

It doesn't necessarily, but the MN kids who take official visits here almost always stay home, and the ones who say they don't need to almost never stay home, so if he takes an official here even though he doesn't absolutely need to, I will take that as a very good sign.

Losing him to Marquette would be really disappointing.

Agree that there is no reason to panic but not that verbals are meaningless. Look at UVA and tell me you think that class is not locked in. They did the same with the Guy,Jerome,Hunter class and these 3 match those and are all in. They know where they want to go period. I will track all verbals, hell my son will and there will be very few who back out. A program gets on average one back out per decade. Do we even have any that backed out here in Coach Pitino's time here ?

All hail Tony and UVA!!!!!

Not true. It's extremely rare for kids to back out of verbal commitments in basketball.

Trey Jackson last fall.

It doesn't necessarily, but the MN kids who take official visits here almost always stay home, and the ones who say they don't need to almost never stay home, so if he takes an official here even though he doesn't absolutely need to, I will take that as a very good sign.

Losing him to Marquette would be really disappointing.

Even if he does commit to Marquette, we could get another shot at him in the spring when de-commits after Wojo gets fired :D I got the feeling that the departure of the Hausers really tanked the short-term outlook for the program.

sigh!

There is a new thread to bicker with Built

Can we not derail every thread.

We all don't see eye to eye. I find Built's love of Wisconsin and Bennett's and obvious dislike of Pitino a little annoying, but it's his right, and overall I think he brings good insight and happy to have him.

Did Richard kick your dog? Sleep with your daughter?

You hate the man.

He's saying we've had 1 de-commit in 6 years, proving our point that players backing out of verbal commitments is rare.

I agree that basketball decommits are far more uncommon than a sport like football, I was only trying to say that until our top targets officially sign with another program there isn't much need to worry. Only adding to my overall point that there is no need to pick up the red phone at this point in time. I'll start to worry in spring after a poor season and 0 quality commits at that time.

I agree that basketball decommits are far more uncommon than a sport like football, I was only trying to say that until our top targets officially sign with another program there isn't much need to worry. Only adding to my overall point that there is no need to pick up the red phone at this point in time. I'll start to worry in spring after a poor season and 0 quality commits at that time.

Agreed that it's far too early to panic about this class. If a player commits to another school though, you can count on them not playing for us. No point in holding out hope for a player to de-commit from another school unless their coach gets fired or something.

Interesting. He’s top 100 and that was less than a week ago, I wonder if that changes anything. Or maybe Garcia is the type of talent you make room for regardless of scholarship situation.

Don't know their scholarship situation, but I can't imagine they would turn him away if he wanted to commit there.

He's saying we've had 1 de-commit in 6 years, proving our point that players backing out of verbal commitments is rare.

Do not have a daughter, do not hate Pitino but if i had a daughter he is not good looking enough to sleep with her. Besides, it is the other Pitino that we have to worry about that kind of conduct. My post was about how few decoms we have had, that is a compliment.

Interesting. He’s top 100 and that was less than a week ago, I wonder if that changes anything. Or maybe Garcia is the type of talent you make room for regardless of scholarship situation.

They would have to ask him to wait for spring if they know someone is moving on. Marquette will not be in this race.

Do not have a daughter, do not hate Pitino but if i had a daughter he is not good looking enough to sleep with her. Besides, it is the other Pitino that we have to worry about that kind of conduct. My post was about how few decoms we have had, that is a compliment.

wut

Top Bottom