All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Correct, contributor was a poor choice of words. Meant high impact/ starter

If Ihnen shows promise as a freshman, which I think we all agree he will, then he definitely could start as a sophomore provided he works his ass off during the off season. The kid is a legit 6'9" with a jumper - I'm not saying he's a going to be an immediate contributor but he absolutely has the tools necessary to be a starter in 2020-21

He was rumored to have been a guard and to spurt up in height late. He is probably still catching up to his body in terms of agility and body control. He could go a long way in just this next year alone towards catching up to his growth.

I'm not saying he is Anthony Davis, but he could be a different player by the time he shows up on campus.

What about how UW, Villanova and UVA used them not only to help the player (always the players choice) but to build a program based on development and experience and then become conference champs, final 4 qualifiers and or National Champs, NBA rookie of the year, high draft picks. Not about useless, it is about maximization. Every kid i am covering in that group was much more sought after and further along than Mitchell but not far enough along in strength,stamina, skill refinement.

Over 100 kids grad transferred this year...looking for better options...if a kid can give minutes as a frosh...the staff needs to weigh that risk...

If Ihnen shows promise as a freshman, which I think we all agree he will, then he definitely could start as a sophomore provided he works his ass off during the off season. The kid is a legit 6'9" with a jumper - I'm not saying he's a going to be an immediate contributor but he absolutely has the tools necessary to be a starter in 2020-21

There certainly may be a chance he does which would be wonderful, but I’m not counting on it. Guys like Ihnen and Mitchell just take more time to make adjustments compared to the likes of a Tre Williams or Mashburn Jr. The end all product however makes it worth it. If either of those guys come in ready to made immediate impact, they tend to be ranked with the Garcia's of the world

Over 100 kids grad transferred this year...looking for better options...if a kid can give minutes as a frosh...the staff needs to weigh that risk...

Disagree here. You coach the kids you have. Doesn’t matter if they chose to leave you for transferring or to go pro. It happens and is out of your control.

Bossi is the bible . Now fans have to do the most difficult thing for them to do, be patient. Few have even seen him play. He has a long way to go. The good news is he has the tools and the desire to do the work. Love to make use of the redshirt on this one.

I'm more patient than most on here.

Hell, I stuck behind Ponder way too long

Disagree here. You coach the kids you have. Doesn’t matter if they chose to leave you for transferring or to go pro. It happens and is out of your control.

Fact is that grad transfers do not have to sit out...I sure hope you coach the kids you have...If you can use the kid as a true frosh you greatly diminish the likelihood of him grad transferring out..simple objective logic here. Coach may decide to risk a redshirt year on a player in hopes of retaining him for a 5th more productive season...that is one thing coaches get paid to evaluate

Glad Everyone on Gopher Hole was relaxed and showed patience toward our recruiting.

We have lots of options and only 2 spots. Mashburn will take the second spot on Thursday. Possible one of our other recruits will realize there is only one other spot and jumps on board. Hope it is Garcia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fact is that grad transfers do not have to sit out...I sure hope you coach the kids you have...If you can use the kid as a true frosh you greatly diminish the likelihood of him grad transferring out..simple objective logic here. Coach may decide to risk a redshirt year on a player in hopes of retaining him for a 5th more productive season...that is one thing coaches get paid to evaluate

Not a single kid from the programs i mentioned, being redshirted,grad transferred. You do the evaluation and give a idea how much playing time they are looking at. If it is 10 or less you explain to them the tremendous benefit of the redshirt. Then you leave it up to the kid. They grow strength wise, they get a great academic start and adjustment, they mature, they learn. I can not think of a single player that did not benefit, where the program did not benefit.

Most kids if they choose graduate in 3 years anyways. Redshirt is not a risk if the kid wants it. It's their choice. A coaches job is to share the benefits of it. Of course if the kid is valuable as a freshman you can play them or they can choose to not redshirt. Playing a kid as a freshman so they don't transfer is not the best way to build a program and a culture. Kids are going to leave if they want. Need to be honest with kids when you recruit them (Pitino is this) and let not guarantee a thing. Some kids go to high a level and need to be bumped down. You can't just play a freshman cause they "may transfer if you don't". You play them because they have earned the time and minutes. I'm sure Pitino and the staff were very blunt and honest with Mitchell, otherwise he wouldn't have come here. I also think he knows he needs to get stronger and continue to grow into his body.

If we redshirt and they grad transfer out there is generally 2-3 reasons

They're not getting playing time-If that's the case not a huge loss
We suck-Can't say I blame the kid then
Coach is fired-Probably tied to prior, and again, can't blame the kid

I'm not going to sweat a RS if the player and team are on board.

Most kids if they choose graduate in 3 years anyways. Redshirt is not a risk if the kid wants it. It's their choice. A coaches job is to share the benefits of it. Of course if the kid is valuable as a freshman you can play them or they can choose to not redshirt. Playing a kid as a freshman so they don't transfer is not the best way to build a program and a culture. Kids are going to leave if they want. Need to be honest with kids when you recruit them (Pitino is this) and let not guarantee a thing. Some kids go to high a level and need to be bumped down. You can't just play a freshman cause they "may transfer if you don't". You play them because they have earned the time and minutes. I'm sure Pitino and the staff were very blunt and honest with Mitchell, otherwise he wouldn't have come here. I also think he knows he needs to get stronger and continue to grow into his body.
Facts are that way more kids grad transfer after 4 years than 3...geez

Not a single kid from the programs i mentioned, being redshirted,grad transferred. You do the evaluation and give a idea how much playing time they are looking at. If it is 10 or less you explain to them the tremendous benefit of the redshirt. Then you leave it up to the kid. They grow strength wise, they get a great academic start and adjustment, they mature, they learn. I can not think of a single player that did not benefit, where the program did not benefit. You cherry picked 3 high profile programs..over a hundred players grad transferred out of other programs...Obviously the vast majority players do not peak at 22 years old...and will be better in their fifth season than their first

JoKobe Coles off the board

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not a single kid from the programs i mentioned, being redshirted,grad transferred. You do the evaluation and give a idea how much playing time they are looking at. If it is 10 or less you explain to them the tremendous benefit of the redshirt. Then you leave it up to the kid. They grow strength wise, they get a great academic start and adjustment, they mature, they learn. I can not think of a single player that did not benefit, where the program did not benefit. You cherry picked 3 high profile programs..over a hundred players grad transferred out of other programs...Obviously the vast majority players do not peak at 22 years old...and will be better in their fifth season than their first

If we have players grad transferring out, it’s indicative of a problem of culture, lack of personal success, lack of team success, or lack of minutes. The idea of redshirting a kid is to groom them and to allow them to maximize their potential at the university for mutual benefit. If redshirting makes sense to a player and school, then we shouldn’t treat it like a hostage situation.

Most play for a better team and or get more minutes
"
Can we please stick to the thread? Start your own Grad Transfer" thread so the rest of us don't have to listen to you 3 argue like 2 year olds.

"
Can we please stick to the thread? Start your own Grad Transfer" thread so the rest of us don't have to listen to you 3 argue like 2 year olds.

2 yr olds? Calm down. I do apologize for my part and will quit my part in the discussion.

Mashburn Jr. picked up 7 additional 247 crystal balls to Gophers in past 2 days

Pure speculation...he got word about Mashburn and is going to Northwestern.

Yeah I would be surprised at this point if he would commit here, but you never know where his recruitment has gone since he visited here.

Yeah I would be surprised at this point if he would commit here, but you never know where his recruitment has gone since he visited here.

Could be an interesting rivalry between he and mashburn if things shake out how it sounds that it may.

Could be an interesting rivalry between he and mashburn if things shake out how it sounds that it may.

Yeah, will definitely be fun seeing our guys compete against others we were recruiting. Hopefully Pitino making all the right moves!

Pure speculation...he got word about Mashburn and is going to Northwestern.

You may be spot on. However, it would be awfully interesting if he chose the Gophers. If both he and Mashburn came on board you’d have to believe Pitino would find room for Dawson if he was interested. A good problem to have...but purely hypothetical.

You may be spot on. However, it would be awfully interesting if he chose the Gophers. If both he and Mashburn came on board you’d have to believe Pitino would find room for Dawson if he was interested. A good problem to have...but purely hypothetical.

Exactly. Have to make room.

Top Bottom