All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

It sounds like both visits went very well, though would we really know if otherwise?

Both got their own tours of campus, saw practice and hung out together. They both spent time with the players. Dawson got to spend a lot of time with the local kids on the roster, which can only help. According to that Rivals article, they both went to Pitino's home to hang out. I'm not sure if that's the norm or if that's what they do when there isn't a football game on campus.

I've heard he will decided in the fall and sign early (before the high school season) and the Gophers put themselves in a great position. As he should, he'll take other visits, but I would imagine Pitino will be in his ear as much as humanly possible over the next month. He knows how important keeping him home is.

I feel very good about Minnesota's chances with Dawson. That said, anything is possible.

How many more schools need to be punished for Kansas' transgressions to satisfy you? :D

Good Question! I'd start with:

Arizona
USC
UCLA
Indiana
Memphis
Duke
UNC
Clemson
Auburn
Michigan State
Maryland
Wisconsin
Iowa

Yes, some of these schools have done nothing. But why should that stop the NCAA?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still nothing new on Ty Berry

Soon, he will choose whether he wants to play at Minnesota or Northwestern, the two final schools on his favorites list.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/new...orthwestern-for-2020-rivals150-guard-ty-berry

Wonder if the Gophers have told him they can't take a commitment until after this weekend when Mashburn is visiting? It seems like we have put in a LOT of work on Mashburn for over a year to have Berry take his spot before Mashburn has his official visit. With this statement, I am making the assumption that with the guards we have on the roster and the amount of wings and bigs we have visits with that we would likely only take one combo guard in this class (these are the only two guys who are 6'2 and under, pretty sure every other visitor is 6'5+)

Still nothing new on Ty Berry

Soon, he will choose whether he wants to play at Minnesota or Northwestern, the two final schools on his favorites list.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/new...orthwestern-for-2020-rivals150-guard-ty-berry

I just really hope we can grab him or Mashburn in the next week or so. Would be really nice to get a solid piece to help recruit others/give others an idea who they might be playing with.

That being said I think we will grab Mashburn this weekend.

Wonder if the Gophers have told him they can't take a commitment until after this weekend when Mashburn is visiting? It seems like we have put in a LOT of work on Mashburn for over a year to have Berry take his spot before Mashburn has his official visit. With this statement, I am making the assumption that with the guards we have on the roster and the amount of wings and bigs we have visits with that we would likely only take one combo guard in this class (these are the only two guys who are 6'2 and under, pretty sure every other visitor is 6'5+)

Is it pretty common for teams to put parameters on potential recruits commitments? As in, we won't take a commitment prior to "X" date and after "X" date? I am not real familiar with all the details of recruiting, but feel this would have to be a touchy subject because you don't want to put off someone who would potentially want to play for your team.

Is it pretty common for teams to put parameters on potential recruits commitments? As in, we won't take a commitment prior to "X" date and after "X" date? I am not real familiar with all the details of recruiting, but feel this would have to be a touchy subject because you don't want to put off someone who would potentially want to play for your team.

Yeah, it has to be tricky for sure. I guess you risk potentially losing Berry or putting him off by saying that, but if he is down to just us and Northwestern, maybe he is willing to wait. Again, all pure speculation. It just seems odd that Berry is not taking any more visits and has said he is down to MN and NW and decided that a couple weeks ago. He could just be taking his time deciding, but I think it's also possible we could say "we aren't taking any commitments until October (fill in the date) as we have a ton of visits scheduled". Obviously for someone like Garcia, that would not apply, but I'm guessing they don't have Berry tiered at that same level on their board. I imagine teams have to be prioritizing recruits when they have many more visitors than spots. First-come, first-serve would be a dangerous strategy.

Also, there definitely seem to be "commitable offers" and "non-commitable offers" in both football and basketball. I think it ties into the above, but when you have more offers out than you have spots, some of those have to be non-commitable at certain times.

From my experience, I think it is more common up to the point a kid says yes, they think they have an offer. Only to then be slow played. Obviously, if Garcia would say yes, the answer would be an immediate yes.

I have no idea how the Gophers are juggling all these offers. They seem to have 20 guys who are sure they have a scholarship to Minnesota waiting for them. But you sure would think there is a pecking order.
Like above, I doubt they take both Berry and Mashburn but Mashburn has an official visit scheduled. Do they just take the bird in hand if Berry says yes today? What about the guys who say yes and change their mind after you told ....say Mashburn, we are going with Berry and then Berry says....ummm I changed my mind somewhere at or before signing day? Arghhh

My point, it's great we are "IN" on so many top prospects but juggling them has to be extremely nerve wracking. Not to mention the asst coach works his butt off to land a guy and then the head coach says...let's wait, I think we can get 5 star X guy. I'd say this year has to be the most stressful recruiting year for Pitino. Maybe not too, no matter it should be good but it could be change his life good...depends how he's wired, I guess.

I'd like Walton. So, is he a casualty if Mashburn or Berry says yes? Then say it looks good for Garcia and another big? Could close Walton out? Obviously, I have no idea what it is but there must a pecking order plan based on
abilities, fit and the likelihood they or others might say yes. But if Kansas, Arizona and Creighton...all supposedly in NCAA trouble get served...do the percentages change? If mom finds out she has an illness and wants her son close to home....etc etc so many moving parts. Gotta be stressful always but we seemingly got so many good candidates. Yet, Im sure there is a top 3 they'd like to wait on?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is there a general consensus as to which player we would prefer if we had our choice, Muscadin or Mitchell? They are rated virtually the same nationally by Rivals.

Is there a general consensus as to which player we would prefer if we had our choice, Muscadin or Mitchell? They are rated virtually the same nationally by Rivals.

Just based on quality of offers, Muscadin seems to a fast-riser and a bit more highly regarded. Based on what I have seen of his outside shot on tape and the offers, I guess I'd say Muscadin is #1, but I'd be very happy with Mitchell (and I think we are likely in a better position with him).

Is this actual info from Dawson and/or family or just a joke because every recruit says they loved their visit in the interviews after?

I think the exact quote from Garcia was "I was extremely blessed to have an official visit with the Gophers". :)

From my experience, I think it is more common up to the point a kid says yes, they think they have an offer. Only to then be slow played. Obviously, if Garcia would say yes, the answer would be an immediate yes.

I have no idea how the Gophers are juggling all these offers. They seem to have 20 guys who are sure they have a scholarship to Minnesota waiting for them. But you sure would think there is a pecking order.
Like above, I doubt they take both Berry and Mashburn but Mashburn has an official visit scheduled. Do they just take the bird in hand if Berry says yes today? What about the guys who say yes and change their mind after you told ....say Mashburn, we are going with Berry and then Berry says....ummm I changed my mind somewhere at or before signing day? Arghhh

My point, it's great we are "IN" on so many top prospects but juggling them has to be extremely nerve wracking. Not to mention the asst coach works his butt off to land a guy and then the head coach says...let's wait, I think we can get 5 star X guy. I'd say this year has to be the most stressful recruiting year for Pitino. Maybe not too, no matter it should be good but it could be change his life good...depends how he's wired, I guess.

I'd like Walton. So, is he a casualty if Mashburn or Berry says yes? Then say it looks good for Garcia and another big? Could close Walton out? Obviously, I have no idea what it is but there must a pecking order plan based on
abilities, fit and the likelihood they or others might say yes. But if Kansas, Arizona and Creighton...all supposedly in NCAA trouble get served...do the percentages change? If mom finds out she has an illness and wants her son close to home....etc etc so many moving parts. Gotta be stressful always but we seemingly got so many good candidates. Yet, Im sure there is a top 3 they'd like to wait on?

I'd think they would only take one of the three (Berry, Mashburn or Walton) but could be very wrong about it. I think more importantly whomever chooses the Gophers first, the other two would probably reconsider playing time and potentially take the Gophers off their list. Looks like any of the 3 would be great gets.

Is this actual info from Dawson and/or family or just a joke because every recruit says they loved their visit in the interviews after?
Based on what the $$$$ sites have said coming from Dawson and other sources.

I'd think they would only take one of the three (Berry, Mashburn or Walton) but could be very wrong about it. I think more importantly whomever chooses the Gophers first, the other two would probably reconsider playing time and potentially take the Gophers off their list. Looks like any of the 3 would be great gets.

I guess I have been putting Berry and Mashburn in one category (combo guard) and then Walton and Gordon (scoring wing, could play 2 or 3) in another. Then you have Garcia, Mitchell, Sibley and Muscadin in another category. I think you could take a combo guard, a scoring wing and then one of the other four bigger guys. Or you could take one of the first four names and then two from the last group. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If the Gophers are the clear leader pick now. It really helps the program and your team get better players to play with you.

I get what you're saying, but it's not surprising that a 5-star local kid wants to take his visits outside of the state. And I'm not sure anyone has said we were the clear leader - just that the visit went really well.

If the Gophers are the clear leader pick now. It really helps the program and your team get better players to play with you.

Absolutely. Lead the charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whichever one commits here...we'll find reasons to dislike the other :cool:

I get what you're saying, but it's not surprising that a 5-star local kid wants to take his visits outside of the state. And I'm not sure anyone has said we were the clear leader - just that the visit went really well.

Agree. And i think kids should take visits until something jumps out at them and they know. Usually works best for a non blue blood to get a kid with 48 hours of their visit. And as i mention, that benefits everyone involved. Tea leaves look great for Gophers on this one.

Zags Blog: Jamal Mashburn Jr. visits Cal, Minnesota up next

Jamal Mashburn Jr., the 6-foot-2, 180-pound guard from Brewster (N.H.) Academy and the PSA Cardinals AAU program, took his first official visit to Cal this past weekend.

“It was very good,” he said. “[Their message is] I’d fit in right away. They need a guy that brings what I bring to the table, so it would be a great fit.”

Mashburn, who averaged 20.8 points at Peach Jam, while shooting 43 percent from the field and 47 percent (15-of-32) from deep, will also visit Minnesota (Oct 5) and Wake Forest (Oct. 26).

As far as Minnesota, there is an obvious connection in that Rick Pitino coached Mashburn Sr. at Kentucky, and Richard Pitino is now the Minnesota coach.

“Obviously the Pitino connection, but the one thing I like about what Richard Pitino has done is he’s stayed away from me and his dad’s relationship and really built a relationship with Jay on his own rather than trying to be a legacy player,” Jamal Sr. said earlier this summer. “And I really appreciate that and Jay really appreciates that.”

Said Jamal Jr.: “Minnesota, they’ve been heavy on me and they’re communicating….This is about me. I know the relationship with the family is important and everything like that, but as far as the whole Pitino, his dad coached my father, I try to take that out of it and I try to say that’s cool and all that they have history, but then again I’m doing it for the future.”

Wake Forest is also in the mix.

“Wake Forest has been communicating with me, keeping up with me every day,” he said. “I’m looking to take a visit out there. I’m trying to find the best situation for me. They pretty much say the same things, but it’s about finding the best situation for me.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/09/30/jamal-mashburn-jr-visits-cal-minnesota-up-next/

Go Gophers!!

100%

I would think Walton would be encouraged by Garcia committing

I have high hopes for this class.

Top Bottom