Page 91 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1818

"The elevated floor was a game changer."

I admit, I didn't see that one coming. Often, the elevated floor is presented as a negative by broadcasters. Good to see it can be a positive in recruitment.

It sounds like both visits went very well, though would we really know if otherwise?

Both got their own tours of campus, saw practice and hung out together. They both spent time with the players. Dawson got to spend a lot of time with the local kids on the roster, which can only help. According to that Rivals article, they both went to Pitino's home to hang out. I'm not sure if that's the norm or if that's what they do when there isn't a football game on campus.

I've heard he will decided in the fall and sign early (before the high school season) and the Gophers put themselves in a great position. As he should, he'll take other visits, but I would imagine Pitino will be in his ear as much as humanly possible over the next month. He knows how important keeping him home is.

I feel very good about Minnesota's chances with Dawson. That said, anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Those NCAA sanctions can't come soon enough.
    How many more schools need to be punished for Kansas' transgressions to satisfy you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherlife View Post
    How many more schools need to be punished for Kansas' transgressions to satisfy you?
    Good Question! I'd start with:

Arizona
    USC
    UCLA
    Indiana
    Memphis
    Duke
    UNC
    Clemson
    Auburn
    Michigan State
    Maryland
    Wisconsin
    Iowa

Yes, some of these schools have done nothing. But why should that stop the NCAA?

Jamari Sibley post his visit to Iowa.....

Asked where Iowa stands after the visit, Sibley said: “Really high.”

“I will maybe visit Iowa state, and I’ll commit in about one month,” he said.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/recrui...wkeye-official
    Winasota Gopher now takes me seriously.....you should too.

Still nothing new on Ty Berry

Soon, he will choose whether he wants to play at Minnesota or Northwestern, the two final schools on his favorites list.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news...guard-ty-berry

Quote Originally Posted by golfing18now View Post

Soon, he will choose whether he wants to play at Minnesota or Northwestern, the two final schools on his favorites list.

Wonder if the Gophers have told him they can't take a commitment until after this weekend when Mashburn is visiting? It seems like we have put in a LOT of work on Mashburn for over a year to have Berry take his spot before Mashburn has his official visit. With this statement, I am making the assumption that with the guards we have on the roster and the amount of wings and bigs we have visits with that we would likely only take one combo guard in this class (these are the only two guys who are 6'2 and under, pretty sure every other visitor is 6'5+)

I just really hope we can grab him or Mashburn in the next week or so. Would be really nice to get a solid piece to help recruit others/give others an idea who they might be playing with.

That being said I think we will grab Mashburn this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    Wonder if the Gophers have told him they can't take a commitment until after this weekend when Mashburn is visiting? It seems like we have put in a LOT of work on Mashburn for over a year to have Berry take his spot before Mashburn has his official visit. With this statement, I am making the assumption that with the guards we have on the roster and the amount of wings and bigs we have visits with that we would likely only take one combo guard in this class (these are the only two guys who are 6'2 and under, pretty sure every other visitor is 6'5+)
    Is it pretty common for teams to put parameters on potential recruits commitments? As in, we won't take a commitment prior to "X" date and after "X" date? I am not real familiar with all the details of recruiting, but feel this would have to be a touchy subject because you don't want to put off someone who would potentially want to play for your team.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherPete View Post
    Is it pretty common for teams to put parameters on potential recruits commitments? As in, we won't take a commitment prior to "X" date and after "X" date? I am not real familiar with all the details of recruiting, but feel this would have to be a touchy subject because you don't want to put off someone who would potentially want to play for your team.
    Yeah, it has to be tricky for sure. I guess you risk potentially losing Berry or putting him off by saying that, but if he is down to just us and Northwestern, maybe he is willing to wait. Again, all pure speculation. It just seems odd that Berry is not taking any more visits and has said he is down to MN and NW and decided that a couple weeks ago. He could just be taking his time deciding, but I think it's also possible we could say "we aren't taking any commitments until October (fill in the date) as we have a ton of visits scheduled". Obviously for someone like Garcia, that would not apply, but I'm guessing they don't have Berry tiered at that same level on their board. I imagine teams have to be prioritizing recruits when they have many more visitors than spots. First-come, first-serve would be a dangerous strategy.

Also, there definitely seem to be "commitable offers" and "non-commitable offers" in both football and basketball. I think it ties into the above, but when you have more offers out than you have spots, some of those have to be non-commitable at certain times.

From my experience, I think it is more common up to the point a kid says yes, they think they have an offer. Only to then be slow played. Obviously, if Garcia would say yes, the answer would be an immediate yes.

I have no idea how the Gophers are juggling all these offers. They seem to have 20 guys who are sure they have a scholarship to Minnesota waiting for them. But you sure would think there is a pecking order.
    Like above, I doubt they take both Berry and Mashburn but Mashburn has an official visit scheduled. Do they just take the bird in hand if Berry says yes today? What about the guys who say yes and change their mind after you told ....say Mashburn, we are going with Berry and then Berry says....ummm I changed my mind somewhere at or before signing day? Arghhh

My point, it's great we are "IN" on so many top prospects but juggling them has to be extremely nerve wracking. Not to mention the asst coach works his butt off to land a guy and then the head coach says...let's wait, I think we can get 5 star X guy. I'd say this year has to be the most stressful recruiting year for Pitino. Maybe not too, no matter it should be good but it could be change his life good...depends how he's wired, I guess.

I'd like Walton. So, is he a casualty if Mashburn or Berry says yes? Then say it looks good for Garcia and another big? Could close Walton out? Obviously, I have no idea what it is but there must a pecking order plan based on
    abilities, fit and the likelihood they or others might say yes. But if Kansas, Arizona and Creighton...all supposedly in NCAA trouble get served...do the percentages change? If mom finds out she has an illness and wants her son close to home....etc etc so many moving parts. Gotta be stressful always but we seemingly got so many good candidates. Yet, Im sure there is a top 3 they'd like to wait on?

Is there a general consensus as to which player we would prefer if we had our choice, Muscadin or Mitchell? They are rated virtually the same nationally by Rivals.
    "Is this Moron #1? Put Moron #2 on the phone."

Quote Originally Posted by paulser21 View Post
    i didnít think he was going to commit this early into his scheduled visits. Any insight on how his visit went?
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post
    Excellent.
    Is this actual info from Dawson and/or family or just a joke because every recruit says they loved their visit in the interviews after?