All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Gabe was be a really nice start! I hope they can seal the deal here Thursday!

Gabe was be a really nice start! I hope they can seal the deal here Thursday!

So, he has a really nice visit on Thursday and the Gophers ask him to sign. What if his reaction is, "I'd like to wait a bit and get a better feel of all of my possible options." or " Thanks, but I haven't decided yet if I want to play close to home or try out another area of the country, just for the experience." or " Thanks, but I'm really looking to get into this (field) and there might be other schools out there with a better program in that particular area." or " I want to go someplace where I'm pretty much guaranteed to start when I step on campus, and Coach P can't commit to that."? Let's assume that local team loyalty is not on the kid's radar when it comes to signing with the Gophers.

What is the consensus of opinion of exactly what Pitino would or should do to get him signed despite any or all of those possible reasons to not sign now? What would YOU say or do to make it happen if YOUR job depended on it? I'm curious as to what the masses on this forum think Pitino should say or do. I'm sure somebody will indicate that we need to put the "full-court press" on him. Exactly what, specifically, is that anyway?

Is there steam that he might commit!? Would be awesome to get a solid commit like him in the fold.

No, no steam. He has only lived in the state of Minnesota for a couple of years, he still plays AAU for a team in wisconsin and he said on Doogie's Podcast that he doesn't really know the other 2020 MN recruits.

Go Gophers!!

So, he has a really nice visit on Thursday and the Gophers ask him to sign. What if his reaction is, "I'd like to wait a bit and get a better feel of all of my possible options." or " Thanks, but I haven't decided yet if I want to play close to home or try out another area of the country, just for the experience." or " Thanks, but I'm really looking to get into this (field) and there might be other schools out there with a better program in that particular area." or " I want to go someplace where I'm pretty much guaranteed to start when I step on campus, and Coach P can't commit to that."? Let's assume that local team loyalty is not on the kid's radar when it comes to signing with the Gophers.

What is the consensus of opinion of exactly what Pitino would or should do to get him signed despite any or all of those possible reasons to not sign now? What would YOU say or do to make it happen if YOUR job depended on it? I'm curious as to what the masses on this forum think Pitino should say or do. I'm sure somebody will indicate that we need to put the "full-court press" on him. Exactly what, specifically, is that anyway?

It's early. It would be dumb to pressure him too much right now. Madsen, along with virtually every other prospect, is going to want to see what kind of offers he can get in July and Pitino will have to patiently wait and focus on building a relationship with him so that he wants to commit whenever he's ready. I'd guess that will probably happen sometime after this AAU season and before the high school season.

It's early. It would be dumb to pressure him too much right now. Madsen, along with virtually every other prospect, is going to want to see what kind of offers he can get in July and Pitino will have to patiently wait and focus on building a relationship with him so that he wants to commit whenever he's ready. I'd guess that will probably happen sometime after this AAU season and before the high school season.

The staff also just got in on Madsen. Expecting a commitment would be crazy right now. Lets get on his list of officials first.

Maybe he really likes Pitino and the university and sees a great fit with the team. A commitment wouldn't be crazy 7 big ten teams already have at least one.

Maybe he really likes Pitino and the university and sees a great fit with the team. A commitment wouldn't be crazy 7 big ten teams already have at least one.

Him committing on his own volition wouldn't be crazy, but Pitino insisting that he does right after offering and before he's taken an official would be.

Standard pitch of the great chance to play at a great school in the Big 10. They show him how they can use him and let him know they do not hold offers, when they are gone they are gone. If he thinks he can get better offers fine, they are not flooding in and he could lose his spot here. At this point there is no way of knowing what he is looking for.

Him committing on his own volition wouldn't be crazy, but Pitino insisting that he does right after offering and before he's taken an official would be.

Kinda what I'm getting at. I guess the question I'm asking is for those who feel (if he doesn't commit soon after his visit and possibly eventually signs with somebody else) that Pitino obviously blew it; what exactly they would have done differently to swing the tide. What lengths would posters go to, with the "hard to describe" full court press, to get the kid to sign with the Gophers.

I always see a lot of complaining about not nailing down commitments, but no specific solutions. I guess I've always been the guy who's philosophy has been, if you have no useful solutions, be quiet until you do.

Kinda what I'm getting at. I guess the question I'm asking is for those who feel (if he doesn't commit soon after his visit and possibly eventually signs with somebody else) that Pitino obviously blew it; what exactly they would have done differently to swing the tide. What lengths would posters go to, with the "hard to describe" full court press, to get the kid to sign with the Gophers.

I always see a lot of complaining about not nailing down commitments, but no specific solutions. I guess I've always been the guy who's philosophy has been, if you have no useful solutions, be quiet until you do.

I hope there isn't anybody on this forum who is dumb enough to assume Pitino "blew it" because the kid didn't sign right away. Any speculation on trying to pick Madsen's brain for where he wants to play is pointless... if we're his favorite offer he'll commit and that's all there is to it. There's only so much Pitino and our program can offer to a recruit.

A problem on this site is that we are all fans and can't seem to get it through our skulls that kids might be looking to play for the team with the best situation for them athletically and academically. Where as, all of us would jump at the chance to play for the Gophers! Because that is our freaking team and always will be.

They just started to recruit him, anyone that thinks Pitino blew it after this visit is ridiculous. This is nothing more than a visit for the staff and the Madsens to get to know each other, likely watch a Gopher practice or workout and get a tour of the facilities. Maybe it all blows Gabe away and he commits but i highly doubt it. He seems intent on visiting multiple schools and then deciding.

They just started to recruit him, anyone that thinks Pitino blew it after this visit is ridiculous. This is nothing more than a visit for the staff and the Madsens to get to know each other, likely watch a Gopher practice or workout and get a tour of the facilities. Maybe it all blows Gabe away and he commits but i highly doubt it. He seems intent on visiting multiple schools and then deciding.
The relationship goes beyond last week, the Madsen's were invited to games last year and maybe even the year before. Just because there isn't an offer, doesn't mean there isn't a relationship. Obviously the interest has increased in recent days, but most relationship don't start with an offer

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The relationship goes beyond last week, the Madsen's were invited to games last year and maybe even the year before. Just because there isn't an offer, doesn't mean there isn't a relationship. Obviously the interest has increased in recent days, but most relationship don't start with an offer

Agree on the most relationships don't start with an offer part, but I thought he said on Doogie's podcast last week that the relationship was new and the Rochester paper said there was no previous interest. I'd be happy if they had invited him to games last year. Either way, heard he was awesome at Gophers team camp and seems like he'd be a great fit.

Well, there is one possible answer to the question - cheat!

show Dad a shoebox full of cash and see if that tips the deal.

Now, if you don't think a school should take part in that sort of activity, then all a coach can do is to try and show the kid why school X is the best place for him.

In the end, it comes down to salesmanship. Sure, it helps to have a great product to sell, but a great salesman can sell a crappy product to the right person. You have to be able to 'qualify' the customer - find out what makes them tick, what they want, and try to convince them that you have what they want. It's a gift - and not everyone has it. I've worked with people who couldn't sell a burger to a starving man - and I've worked with people who could sell that burger to a morbidly obese person who clearly doesn't need it. Salesmanship is an art. Does Pitino have it? that, my friends, is an open question.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. There isn’t really a relationship at all. They were invited to a single event last year, which was a scrimmage or exhibition game IIRC. Very little contact from pitino and staff at the event. They hadn’t heard from anybody on the gophers staff since, until after Gabe started getting high major offers/interest. It then went very quickly at the team camp. After first game Gabe was told the gophers were going to start recruiting him. By the end of the day they offered.

If the gophers don’t land Gabe, I wouldn’t blame Pitino, but I’d also say he didn’t do his best recruiting job on him. Very late to the party. I’d say Iowa has a better relationship. Fran even came to a mayo game during their sophomore year and they went on unofficial visit for a football game last fall.

Reminds me of JP Macura’s recruitment. Very frustrating because I’d love to see him in Maroon and Gold! We’ll see what happens I guess!

You're wrong bud.

Agree on the most relationships don't start with an offer part, but I thought he said on Doogie's podcast last week that the relationship was new and the Rochester paper said there was no previous interest. I'd be happy if they had invited him to games last year. Either way, heard he was awesome at Gophers team camp and seems like he'd be a great fit.

The dad said that the relationship was "limited". They had gotten a call a month back from Jeter saying that they were going to "ramp up his recruitment". So I think that the truth lies somewhere between no relationship at all and the existence of a meaningful relationship. It wasn't much but bemidji may still be right.

Yes or no?

Will Gophers land any of these 2020 recruits?

Carlson

Dainja (Baylor commit)

Garcia

Madsen

Suggs

Walton

Will Gophers land any of these 2020 recruits?

Carlson

Dainja (Baylor commit)

Garcia

Madsen

Suggs

Walton

Carlson is probably going to Xavier and if I don't have my maroon and gold colored glasses then I am guessing Suggs is going to Gonzaga if he wants to play basketball. Even though Dainja is a Baylor commit, I feel like his destination is more TBD.

I do believe they have a chance at Garcia, Madsen and Walton. I will add that if Garcia turns out to be a miss, then I would think an offer would go to Crowl and I think they would have a solid chance at landing him assuming it's not too late in the game.

Honestly would anyone be disappointed if we landed Madsen, Walton, and Crowl?

I'm not saying that we should quit recruiting others, I am simply asking, what would people think of that class?

Pivital class for Pitino this year. Iam not sure where we stand with Madsen, I think they've only lived in Minnesota for a couple years, but I really like both Twins as players. Walton don't hear alot about his recruiting, if Purdue's going at him hard I fear he will torn into next Mathias or Cline. Sounds like Suggs and Garcia really like Pitino, so hopefully he can close the deal there. For the sake of the team, Garcia has to be top priority. Don't know alot about Crowl, but thought I read he was a lock if we offer, anyone know anything about that or is that just here say?

The Madsen Twins dad grew up and played basketball in Menomonie - same home town as Wally and Henry Ellensen’s dad did.

Top Bottom