We need a head turning blowout!

Reaction score
In order to capture additional fan base. Even more than ever, this State is wallowing in the " Little Darlings' of the North, especially with the new " glass erector set " stadium. We're playing a power 5 PAC 12
football team that by most accounts is a basement dweller in their division. The 'line" has been between 7.5 to 10 points. Most scribe's predicting the score look for around a 10 point win for the Gophers. For the diehard Gopher fans that is acceptable. For the casual fan it is " ho-hum" and move on to the next page in the sports section. If the Gophers were to get a 4 or 5 touchdown win it would at least raise the eyebrows of the naysayers. The U has a bunch of negatives going against it.
Poor marketing on a Thursday night game that has huge competition , a mild mannered coach who I respect greatly, but is not a " Music Man" for the program ,( cue up Lou Holtz) an AD who has been on the job for 60 days and has been up to his ears in repairing the damage Woody did with the current fan base, a drug issue, and evaluating Lucia and Pitino. Throw in a 5-7 regular season a 20℅ drop in season tickets and you have apathy in capital letters. Marginal wins against the Beavers, Indiana State, and CSU won't turn any heads in this pro Viking town. Blow these teams off the field and then go into Penn State and trash them. Then Gopher football talk will start surfacing around the water cooler. The wife and I will be among the 40,000 fans at " The Bank " Thursday night. T.C.!! take no f---ing prisoners :mad:

We could beat them 70 to 0.... I don't think pounding Oregon State makes a difference in ticket sales.

It's the season as a whole + games vs Neb, Wis, Iowa.

We could beat them 70 to 0.... I don't think pounding Oregon State makes a difference in ticket sales.

I agree. Win this game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'd sure enjoy a blowout. OSU lost games against P5 competition by an average of 25 points last year - if we're better this year, even if they're better this year, we should hope to see a 17-21 point win on average. They're very Purdue-esque, a team we beat 41-13 last season on the road. But it's the first game of the season, weird things happen, so we just have to hope to go out and win.

I also agree with the above, the tickets and talk will start to flow if and only if the Gophers start winning in the B1G schedule. Win the first two (@ PSU, vs Iowa) and there will be a lot of momentum through the easier part of the schedule.

What I would like to see is for us come out very conservatively.

What we need to do is feel them out for at least the first quarter. Nothing but runs up the middle. Three and outs are ok for our first four of five series if it means no mistakes. No first quarter points, for God's sake.

If we are going to air it out, let' make sure it's always on third and long, that way fewer things can go wrong.

Also, let's try to limit the play calling to about four plays so that we aren't showing our hands for the B1G season.

And winning by one point is ok too, preferably an under-the-radar, come-from-behind win.

What we need to do is feel them out for at least the first quarter. Nothing but runs up the middle. Three and outs are ok for our first four of five series if it means no mistakes. No first quarter points, for God's sake.

If we are going to air it out, let' make sure it's always on third and long, that way fewer things can go wrong.

Also, let's try to limit the play calling to about four plays so that we aren't showing our hands for the B1G season.

And winning by one point is ok too, preferably an under-the-radar, come-from-behind win.

I see what you did here...

RUTM!

I'd sure enjoy a blowout. OSU lost games against P5 competition by an average of 25 points last year - if we're better this year, even if they're better this year, we should hope to see a 17-21 point win on average. They're very Purdue-esque, a team we beat 41-13 last season on the road. But it's the first game of the season, weird things happen, so we just have to hope to go out and win.

I also agree with the above, the tickets and talk will start to flow if and only if the Gophers start winning in the B1G schedule. Win the first two (@ PSU, vs Iowa) and there will be a lot of momentum through the easier part of the schedule.

Agree. IA will be a sellout but we need to win the first three games convincingly, and win @ Penn St to ensure the a**hole Hawkeye fans are a serious minority. With the drop in season tix sales, there are a lot of tix out there for that game...might be too late anyway.

I would put all 3 non-conf games in this category. A win in any of them won't really drive much interest or turn heads, a loss in any of them could be a major disaster though.

People will start to take notice when the Big Ten wins start coming. Team needs to prove that 5-7 last year was the exception and not the rule.

:clap::clap::clap:

Good thoughts Limegrover!

You guys do remember Gary Anderson right? He had our number each year at Wisconsin. Who knows what's going to happen in this game with either team. They have new coaches/coordinators/QB and we have new coach/coordinators. As much as I'd like to see a blow out so some young guys can get some experience. I'll take whatever win we can get and keep our players (especially ourQB) healthy.

You guys do remember Gary Anderson right? He had our number each year at Wisconsin. Who knows what's going to happen in this game with either team. They have new coaches/coordinators/QB and we have new coach/coordinators. As much as I'd like to see a blow out so some young guys can get some experience. I'll take whatever win we can get and keep our players (especially ourQB) healthy.

So did Bert... their new guy.

Maybe it wasn't the coach....

Dave Aranda, was the true mastermind, while Anderson was at Wisconsin. The new DC at Oregon State, may run the same schemes on defense, but he's not Aranda, he also doesn't have the same caliber of athlete

They are a two win team who lost by an average of 25 pts last year. As HC, he basically had one good season at Utah St and skated through two good seasons at Wisc.

They are a two win team who lost by an average of 25 pts last year. As HC, he basically had one good season at Utah St and skated through two good seasons at Wisc.

And how many good seasons has our head coach had? How about our new offensive coordinator in a Power 5 conference? Like I said I'd love a blowout, but just getting the W and staying healthy is more important to me. We have a lot of new pieces this year, I'd not be surprised if there are some growing pains on both sides of the ball.

Oh wait, just found my rose colored glasses on my head (put the glasses on), we should win this game by no less than 35 because the other team stinks! Doesn't matter if it will be the first game with a new offense.

So are you saying based on last year there is no way possible Oregon St could be improved in Anderson's 2nd year?

Early season games.....as we've seen.....are difficult to gauge. We've snuck multiple "pre"season games past teams that we should have beaten by double digits. I like that we are at home. Obviously the Beavers were a bad team last year. But.....on the other side of the coin.....the Gophers weren't world beaters. OSU could be an improved team this year. You never know.

Oh.....and the vegas line is -13 Gophers from what I've seen. Heavy favorites tend to cover in early season matchups while the line makers figure things out.

Just win the game. Then start worrying about winning the next one....

Give me a 21 point win with a solid defensive performance, allowing a good look 2-3 deep into the skilled offensive positions, and no injuries and I'd walk home after the game to Anoka County on my hands.

So are you saying based on last year there is no way possible Oregon St could be improved in Anderson's 2nd year?

I looked at the direction and performance of both in the last few years and think the Gophs have a real chance to control the game...and have the chance to win big.

Nothing like reading too much into a post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh...that's what went wrong against TCU. 1st play of the game, 3 of the first 5 plays and 2 of the first 3 drives started with throws.

Unless the Gophers are playing a helmet school, the non-conference games are a no-win situation. If the Gophers win big, the media will say "you're supposed to win those games." If the Gophers win by a narrow margin, or lose a non-conference game, the media will proclaim that the season is already over.

My heart tells me that the Gophers can and should win big on Thursday - but my head tells me the Gophers are playing with a new Offensive coordinator, 2 JUCOs starting on the O-Line, a revamped secondary, and several injury situations (Brooks, Lingen, etc).
Maybe Sherels can come into the locker room and give a rousing pre-game speech. that ought to be worth a few points.

I understand the "just win" concept - I just don't want to have to sweat through the 4th quarter. Give me some breathing room.

I'm with denguegopher. Just win, even if its ugly. The rest will happen, good and bad and then we be happy about the good and pi$$ and moan about the bad. Pretty predictable.

This is a game that Oregon St. feels they have a good chance for a W.

I'm with denguegopher. Just win, even if its ugly. The rest will happen, good and bad and then we be happy about the good and pi$$ and moan about the bad. Pretty predictable.

This is a game that Oregon St. feels they have a good chance for a W.

+1- or What you said. Oregon St. like any other team has had this game circled since spring ball. Both teams want to start 1-0. Just winning anyway at this point is what is important.

I don't mind a few beatdowns by the Gophers, but I just want to see Wins and Big 10 wins because those are what counts. A W is a W any way you slice it.

Blowing them out can't hurt. Not struggling against them would go a long way toward alleviating the fan bases angst about the team.

Top Bottom