Det Free Press: MN season a success if they can win 8 games and a bowl game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit Free Press:

Minnesota

2015 record: 2-6, 6-7.

Big hole to fill: KJ Maye, an undrafted free agent with the Giants, was by far the Gophers’ top receiver last season with 773 receiving yards and 73 receptions. The next closest was Drew Wolitarsky with 524 yards and 39 receptions.

Breakout player: Isaiah Gentry, a 6-4, 225-pound sophomore, had only two catches for 36 yards last season but has the size to be a threat in the passing game with the departure of Maye.

Season is a success if: Minnesota wins eight games plus a bowl game. New coach Tracy Claeys, who was hired permanently after serving as the interim coach when Jerry Kill stepped down mid-season for health reasons, needs to show he can continue what Kill started and lead the program above .500.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/08/28/big-ten-west-college-football/89524150/

Go Gophers!!

Gawd please a bowl game win, and at least one of the Neb, Wisc, Iowa series.

But I'll settle for undefeated too...

I'm less worried about winning our bowl. I'd take winning the west over winning a bowl game any day. Beat Wisconsin, win the west and our season is a complete success.

7-5 with a bowl win is not a success.
8- 4 with a bowl win is minimum for success this year.

7-5 with a bowl win is not a success.
8- 4 with a bowl win is minimum for success this year.

Wasn't that clear but I read it as 9 wins, eight regular season plus a bowl game..."Minnesota wins eight games plus a bowl game"...would have thought it would have said "...wins eight games including a bowl game"

I'm less worried about winning our bowl. I'd take winning the west over winning a bowl game any day. Beat Wisconsin, win the west and our season is a complete success.

I'm looking for at least 1-1 in the post season...

I'm applying the same standard I did last season as far as success is concerned: beat Wisconsin, and it's a success. Lose, and it's not. It has been that bad for that long.

I yearn for the days when 8 wins will be an underachievement, but over the last 40 years they have accomplished this 5 times (twice with Kill). 8 wins is always a success for now. Beating uw would be nice, though - probably won't happen in Madison this year although the badgers may be devastated with injuries from their gauntlet of a schedule so we will see.

I yearn for the days when 8 wins will be an underachievement, but over the last 40 years they have accomplished this 5 times (twice with Kill). 8 wins is always a success for now. Beating uw would be nice, though - probably won't happen in Madison this year although the badgers may be devastated with injuries from their gauntlet of a schedule so we will see.

And 3 times with GM. So 5 times since 1999...

Looking simply at wins and losses is short sighted.

If the offense has a pulse unlike the last year, it is a success....regardless of wins it would give me faith in the future

This is how I feel too.

As much as the schedule looks easier, every opponent and their fanbase sees us as a winnable game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking simply at wins and losses is short sighted.

If the offense has a pulse unlike the last year, it is a success....regardless of wins it would give me faith in the future

Jim wacker had some good offenses

Top Bottom