GopherHole's Sports Huddle Recap: Tracy Claeys -8/28/16

DL65

Reaction score
Today’s Sports Huddle with Tracy Claeys was conducted at WCCO’s broadcast studio at the Minnesota State Fair.

Coach Claeys was on earlier than normal. I turned the program at about 10:15 and he was already talking. So I may have missed a comment or two. Hopefully SON can fill in what I missed.

1) First question I heard was by Sid. He wanted to know who would be starting today on the offensive line, if a game were played today:

The starting lineup would be: Left Tackle, Garrison Wright; Left Guard, Connor Mayes; Center, Tyler Moore; Right Guard, Vincent Calhoun; Right Tackle, Jonah Pirsig.

As to possible impact players this year, he mentioned JUCO players Wright and Calhoun. He also mentioned another JUCO transfer, Donnell Greene. Greene was not available this past spring because he was finishing up his academic work. Nevertheless, he’s been making progress in camp as he learns the system. Claeys said Greene gives the offensive line “depth.”

He finished the question talking about Jonah Pirsig. Pirsig, according to Claeys, is having a great camp, maybe his best ever. Claeys said Pirsig has size, athleticism and speed for a big guy – 6’9” and 325 pounds.

2) Dave Mona asked about evaluation and projection of freshen quarterbacks:

“Hardest thing to do, projection . . . figure where they are (knowledge of the game and being prepared to see the field).”

He added that could be said about many freshmen players: In high school, the players are in slots where they can give their team the best shot at winning.

3) Sid asked about Mitch Leidner’s backup, Conor Rhoda:

“Conor Rhoda played at Cretin . . . great student of the game.” Because of the change in coaching and philosophy, the quarterbacks have “more on their plate.” Nevertheless, Claeys sounded positive and confident when discussing the quarterbacks’ adjustment to the changes being made.

4) Sid asked for an appraisal of freshman quarterback, Seth Green:

Tracy Claeys was, once again, very positive in his response: Seth Green – extremely gifted, can run (important in the new system), athletic.” He quickly added, Seth Green is going to be redshirted this year. However, “injuries can happen that” alter plans.

5) Dave Mona asked about the new the coaching staff:

Claeys answered, “I have a switch (on his headset) . . . I’ll be listening to all the coaches,” especially during timeouts. He said, offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Jay Johnson has always coached on the sideline and that’s where he will be during the games.

He also mentioned Adam Weber, an offensive grad assistant in his comments. He sounded impressed when discussing Weber and his contributions to the coaching staff and team.

6) Sid asked about the changes on offensive side of the line:

Claeys replied, he wants the opposition to “defend the whole field.” When discussing the changes in offense, he cited Drew Wolitarsky, Rashad Still and Tyler Johnson, as well as the running backs and the roles they will have in the passing game.

7) Sid specifically asked about the wide receivers:

Claeys sounded upbeat when in his comments he cited Rashad Still, Drew Wolitarsky, Tyler Johnson, Hunter Register, tight ends Nate Wozniak and Colton Beebe. (He didn’t mention Brandon Lingen’s name, which I took as merely an oversight.)

He ended the question by talking about coaching drills that Jay Johnson implemented, which emphasize catching fundamentals.

8) Dave Mona asked about linebacker coach Mike Sherels appearance on the practice field yesterday:

Claeys said Sherels is making a nice recovery from surgery; however, he hastened to add it will take time before he is fully recovered and back coaching on a regular basis. Sherels, since his release from the hospital, has been sitting in on some of the coaches meetings, but yesterday was the first time he was on the practice field.

9) Dave Mona’s next question was related to defensive backs not being highly rated coming out of high school but experiencing success on the field:

Claeys said they first look at the player’s athletic ability. He acknowledged they need to increase the size of the defensive backs when they first arrive on campus, and it’s the coaching staff’s responsibility to develop the players, which they’ve been successful in doing. He reiterated that athletic ability is the biggest thing they look for when recruiting defensive backs.

10) A fan in the audience asked a two-part question: a go-to-guy at the wide receiver like KJ Maye was last year, and the expectations of 9 wins this year:

Claeys replied, “Hard to fix a number on games.” He added, the important point is to compete for the Big 10 in November.

As to a go-to-player, Claeys said they want to distribute the ball around and not be fixated on single player, which they did last year with KJ Maye and that was a problem at times, because the opposition would focus their defense on stopping Mayes.

11) A fan asked about pre-season prognostications in the various sporting magazines that are on the newsstands:

Claeys quickly responded by saying he doesn’t read or listen to what’s being said before the start of the first game, “It’s where you’re at” when the season ends.

12) Sid asked about this year’s secondary in comparison to last year:

“It’ll be as good,” Claeys said. However, he quickly added that some of the new players will have growing pains but they’ll learn quickly, especially after having seen the field in the first couple games . . . “talent is there!”

“Linebackers – most talented group we have.” He also sounded pleased with the “depth at defensive tackle.”

12) Sid asked for an appraisal of Oregon State:

“They’ll be a lot better than last year . . . they played a tough schedule.” Claeys said he expects OSU will be tough in league play this year. He also gave props to Beaver coach Gary Andersen.

13) Dave Mona asked about Ryan Santoso’s move to punter and the kicking game:

Redshirt sophomore Emmit Carpenter will handle the kick-offs, pats, and field goals. Claeys sounded positive when discussing the all-important kicking game.

14) Dave Mona asked about possessing our deferring at a coin toss:

Claeys was emphatic about receiving first. He expects and wants to have an extra possession at half-time. However, weather conditions can dictate decisions about deferring to the second half.

Go Gophers!!

DL - as I recall, there were two questions before you started listening. They did put Claeys on early - I guess he got to the Fair booth ahead of schedule.

Sid asked if any true Freshmen would play. TC mentioned Kamal Martin, Tyler Johnson, and said Carter Coughlin would likely play, but he's behind due to an injury and needs more reps.

Sid asked if any Redshirts from last year will make an impact. TC said Colton Beebe at TE/H-back.

I believe the next question was the one about the offensive line starters.

One note - as I heard it, I thought TC said Jay Johnson would work in the box (I presume the press box or coaches booth), with Adam Weber on the sideline working with the QB's. And, Jay Sawvel was the one who TC said was used to being on the sideline. Both coordinators are named Jay, so I may be wrong, but that's how I heard it.

Best line of the day- Claeys, when asked about pre-season predictions, said "they don't give out any trophies for winning the pre-season predictions." at least twice during the interview, he said he doesn't read the papers or follow the pre-season magazines and predictions.

Great report! Go Gophers! I'm on board with Claey's comments. I really believe he wants to win.

Thanks DL! My guess is he left out Lingen because he is hurt and may not play Thursday.

I'm telling you, this is the best part of the season: anticipation, expectations...anything is possible now. I'm jazzed!!!:clap:

Thanks DL! My guess is he left out Lingen because he is hurt and<b> may not play Thursday.</b>

Yeah. Last I knew he still hadn't been cleared for contact. He falls under the same category as Books - Get healthy for the B1G schedule. That is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a much improved Wozniak and others I anticipate a huge year for our TEs. With Lingen back...

With a <b>much improved Wozniak </b>and others I anticipate a huge year for our TEs. With Lingen back...

What makes you think this is the case?

Claeys has not shown any love for Gentry or Holland this fall, and at this point I'll be surprised if either is a regular contributor.

Thanks DL and SON! Hey DL, I went to my daughter's middle school orientation last week - I met the principal and he's from Detroit Lakes (an NDSU grad).

Me too. Got to believe the coach and players.

Glad to see Weber back. He seemed like a bright guy.
He was a very decent talent ruined by multiple position coaches because every coach under Brewster who had a chance to leave did.
Every new coach tried to change Weber's throwing technique and the results were not pretty.

Glad to see Weber back. He seemed like a bright guy.
He was a very decent talent ruined by multiple position coaches because every coach under Brewster who had a chance to leave did.
Every new coach tried to change Weber's throwing technique and the results were not pretty.

This is true. Wasn't Weber subjected to the tennis ball guru? I can't recall the guy's name?

Top Bottom