Mercy rule in Minnesota HS football?

denguegopher

Reaction score
A HS game was on TV last night and one team was behind 35-0 at half. The new Nevada rule is that once a team is behind that far (35 pts) the clock runs non-stop, just like soccer, but no added stopage time at the end. I believe that only a time-out can stop the clock. The second half was over in a big hurry - bet the refs like it. Does Minnesota even have a mercy rule? I'm not sure what I think of it, but because there are some horrible mis-matches in Nevada it might be needed.

If a team is up by 35 points in the 4th quarter it is running time until the score drops within 30 points. Running time is loosely used as the clock is stopped during scores, change of possession, etc. It basically doesnt't stop during incomplete passes and if a player goes out of bounds.

Even though 34 states have a continuous clock mercy rule, I don't like it because it takes away the opportunity for the kids to play the sport they've dedicated much of their lives to. Reserves on both teams could get playing time they wouldn't otherwise see. Personally, even when losing, I enjoyed playing and wouldn't want the game to be shortened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though 34 states have a continuous clock mercy rule, I don't like it because it takes away the opportunity for the kids to play the sport they've dedicated much of their lives to. Reserves on both teams could get playing time they wouldn't otherwise see. Personally, even when losing, I enjoyed playing and wouldn't want the game to be shortened.

I agree. As a retired coach I didn't like it when we got pounded but both coaches took an opportunity to get all kids a chance to play. Believe me ... most parents would rather sit through a lopsided game and get to see their kid play than have the game ended early.

I believe Tyler Johnson alma mater Minneapolis North ran into the mercy rule most of last season. I saw Homecoming and they had the clock run for the last half I thought.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree completely. Everyone waits all week for the game and if it is a blowout the winning and losing team each lose the opportunity to play their reserves. It is one of those things where one a- hole coach runs up a 90-6 score and the high school leagues all panic about their "fair play" and sportsmanship goals to the point of hurting everyone. The mercy rule in MSHSL hockey is only 6 goals in the third period and that too has made for a lot of very short games. If they are going to have mercy rules, the threshold should be much different.

Most of the time the running clock only hurts the backups and younger players who don't usually get to play. Maybe it should be up to the refs' discretion? If a team is up 35 and they still have most of the starters in, then run the clock. If they've emptied the bench, then let the bench play as much as possible.

If you're getting your @$$ kicked by over 30 points, you probably haven't been that dedicated.

Iowa used to have a rule where, if one team was ahead by 50 points, the game ended at that point. So, teams that ran up a big lead would pull their starters in the 2nd quarter just to make sure the game didn't end before halftime. The rule was changed in 2004, and now they have the same rule as MN - running time with a 35-point lead.

BTW, I have covered games in MN where teams have gone to running time at halftime by mutual approval of the coaches. Usually done in cases where one team was undermanned and/or having injury problems.

I understand the argument about running time depriving reserves of some playing time. The real issue, for me, is who calls off the dogs 1st. Team A has a big lead, pulls their starters, but team B keeps their starters in and tries to mount a comeback against the other team's reserves. In a perfect world, both teams would pull their starters at the same time, but some coaches can't help but try to game the situation.

Iowa used to have a rule where, if one team was ahead by 50 points, the game ended at that point. So, teams that ran up a big lead would pull their starters in the 2nd quarter just to make sure the game didn't end before halftime. The rule was changed in 2004, and now they have the same rule as MN - running time with a 35-point lead.

BTW, I have covered games in MN where teams have gone to running time at halftime by mutual approval of the coaches. Usually done in cases where one team was undermanned and/or having injury problems.

I understand the argument about running time depriving reserves of some playing time. The real issue, for me, is who calls off the dogs 1st. Team A has a big lead, pulls their starters, but team B keeps their starters in and tries to mount a comeback against the other team's reserves. In a perfect world, both teams would pull their starters at the same time, but some coaches can't help but try to game the situation.
I agree with most of this. However, if the leading team pulls their starters there is a chance that their reserves will be about equal to the losing team's starters. It might not hurt for starters on the losing team to stay in and get some extra work, and maybe gain some degree of confidence - very unlikely that they will rally to make the game close. I will say this - with that running clock the game ended in a real hurry. There was virtually no time for subs to get a little mop up experience. If both coaches are reasonable, as suggested above, a better solution in consultation with the referee, could be reached.

Greatest thing mn ever did was put in running time. More than half the games have running time. U don't want running time play better competition or play your backups from the start of the game.

Way back when I was in high school we ended a game early when we went up 66 to I think 6 following my td score.

Top Bottom