Oregon St Football holding Open Tryouts

Sparlimb

Reaction score
That's never a good sign...

http://www.startribune.com/oregon-s...fore-season-opener-against-gophers/391343311/

Oregon State football coach Gary Andersen announced Wednesday the team will host open tryouts next Monday. The announcement comes just eight days before the Beavers open the season against the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium.

The Beavers finished 2-10 and on a nine-game losing streak in Andersen’s first season in 2015 and it appears things haven’t improved much. Open tryouts are unusual at high-level Division 1 programs, especially when held just days before the first game.

The announcement was posted on the team’s website and read “Are you ready to don the Orange and Black? … Students should bring workout clothes and cleats (helmets and pads will not be needed).”

The requirements to try out include a physical exam, proof of sickle cell trait testing, and you must be a full-time student with NCAA Division 1 eligibility remaining.

Andersen also held an open tryout last season.

The Oregon State men’s basketball team has hosted open tryouts in recent years and last season made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1990.

If Andersen does find the program’s next star on Monday, chances are he won’t be in uniform next Thursday against the Gophers.

A bad sign indeed. I seem to recall Lou Holtz doing the same thing during his first year at the U.

ddd09e5cedf43639c6527714cc22860a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nope. Elaborate please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bio says he walked on in 2009, I think he got some pt in 2011?

I like the idea of open tryouts. If you lack depth in some areas, why not give it a shot? Out of the thousands of students at the U, there's got to be a couple that could contribute. If no one pans out, no biggie.

I believe most MLB teams do this every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys remember when the Eagles did this? Mark Wahlberg actually made the team and played for Dick Vermeil!

Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

We better win this game!

Now this is a typical Gopher "fan".

Do you guys remember when the Eagles did this? Mark Wahlberg actually made the team and played for Dick Vermeil!

Get your facts straight. Mark Wahlberg actually made the team and played for Greg Kinnear.

It's easy to get Mark Wahlberg confused with Vince Papale. There's only a 25 year difference separating the two.

Under Brewster, we had some veteran walk into the football offices and a week later he was covering kickoffs. The Strib ran a story about it. I think he lasted a week.

Brewster literally had people walking off the streets onto the field. Good times.

It's a sales ploy. Last year he did for real.
You know far more about their program than I do, but I fail to see how this helps sell it. Even if it's not true, they're basically saying, "We're so bad that there's a chance random students off the street are better than players we've been coaching up for over a year." Doesn't make me want to rush out and buy tickets. I guess getting to meet some coaches and players would be a thrill for the students who show up, but how many are we talking...50 - 100?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom