WBB: Vermont Cancels North Carolina Road Game Due to Concenr Over HB2 Law

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://uvmathletics.com/news/2016/8...-north-carolina-road-game-due-to-hb2-law.aspx

The law came too late for Jerry Kill.

The University of Vermont Athletic Department has cancelled its women's basketball road game against the University of North Carolina on Dec. 28 due to concern over the state's HB2 law, Director of Athletics Jeff Schulman announced on Wednesday. Below is a statement from Schulman explaining the department's decision:

"The decision to cancel to our Dec. 28 women's basketball game at North Carolina was made as a result of concerns over the HB2 law, which prevents transgender people from using government-run bathrooms based on their gender identity.

We strive very hard to create an inclusive climate for our students and staff in which they all can feel safe, respected, and valued. It would be hard to fulfill these obligations while competing in a state with this law, which is contrary to our values as an athletic department and university.

This decision was made in consultation with our coaches, the women's basketball team, and key university officials. We fully understand and sympathize with the impact that this decision may have on the North Carolina women's basketball schedule. However, we believe this decision is consistent with our values and the conversations with our coaches and student team members. These were the most important considerations."

I always find these sort of protests so stupid. Number one, UNC didn't pass a law. UNC didn't have anything to do with it, so sounds like a great excuse to get out of a game to me. Number two, the citizens of North Carolina can pass whatever stupid laws they want (and this one is real humdinger of stupid). That's what the melting pot of democracy was all about. If you don't like the law, don't move to North Carolina, move out of North Carolina, or get the law changed through your feet (votes). This notion that protesting by not playing a sporting event is dumb.

I always find these sort of protests so stupid. Number one, UNC didn't pass a law. UNC didn't have anything to do with it, so sounds like a great excuse to get out of a game to me. Number two, the citizens of North Carolina can pass whatever stupid laws they want (and this one is real humdinger of stupid). That's what the melting pot of democracy was all about. If you don't like the law, don't move to North Carolina, move out of North Carolina, or get the law changed through your feet (votes). This notion that protesting by not playing a sporting event is dumb.

They don't live in North Carolina so they can't vote to get it changed. So they're choosing to not go to North Carolina. Why is it dumb?

They don't live in North Carolina so they can't vote to get it changed. So they're choosing to not go to North Carolina. Why is it dumb?

Did the University of North Carolina vote this law in? Why are you punishing a school in the state. Just like when the NBA pulled the all-star game. Is it the hot dog vendor's fault the law is in place? Yet they are getting punished (lost revenue) for something done at the state level. I have no problem with protesting and saying the law is obnoxious, or whatever needs to be said to encourage change, but it seems silly to me punish institutions that aren't directly related. I'd prefer we keep sports (especially intercollegiate sports) as pure as possible and out of the political arena.

I've got bad news for Vermont's women's team. All women's sports are cancelled. Their is no more sexual distinction. One sex- all treated equally. The best athlete plays. Title IX-dead. I am offended that all are not treated equally and that we have these divisions by sexual identity. ;)

Is it the hot dog vendor's fault the law is in place? Yet they are getting punished (lost revenue) for something done at the state level.

The hot dog vendor should contact his/her representative.

I'd prefer we keep sports (especially intercollegiate sports) as pure as possible and out of the political arena.

Noted. Others prefer not to. Sports have helped change this country's politics.

Did the University of North Carolina vote this law in? Why are you punishing a school in the state. Just like when the NBA pulled the all-star game. Is it the hot dog vendor's fault the law is in place? Yet they are getting punished (lost revenue) for something done at the state level. I have no problem with protesting and saying the law is obnoxious, or whatever needs to be said to encourage change, but it seems silly to me punish institutions that aren't directly related. I'd prefer we keep sports (especially intercollegiate sports) as pure as possible and out of the political arena.

So if NC were to pass another stupid law, like if you're gay you can get arrested and jailed. You'd tell people to continue doing sports in NC and keep politics out of it because sports should be pure, even if they have gay players?

So if NC were to pass another stupid law, like if you're gay you can get arrested and jailed. You'd tell people to continue doing sports in NC and keep politics out of it because sports should be pure, even if they have gay players?

Yep, just like I don't think we should stop playing all the universities stuck in sanctuary cities, despite open laws that defy the federal law. Nor should we stop playing in states that have legalized marijuana, openly defying the federal government. Again, while I disagree with the law in NC, it doesn't even break federal law. What's next, we're going to quit playing Northwestern because Chicago passes a law that you can't buy a dog in the city? Where does it end? As long as folks get to pick and choose what laws they're up in arms about, it will remain laughable.

Good for Vermont. And this is not stupid. You think the NBA decision didn't create some pushback? This draws attention to an outrage and indicates Vermont's refusal to participate in it. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. (I'm glad the U's possible game with NC is on a neutral court and, if it were at NC, I would fully expect them to cancel it. IMHO, this Vermont stand puts pressure on ACC schools that should be applied.)

Cmon man, that's weak. Try again. NC has simply said- hey if you have male equipment use that restroom. That's sensible and it protects the vast majority of people. It's the way it always has been and now you are saying this is a bigoted law. Simply nuts.

Cmon man, that's weak. Try again. NC has simply said- hey if you have male equipment use that restroom. That's sensible and it protects the vast majority of people. It's the way it always has been and now you are saying this is a bigoted law. Simply nuts.

Protects people from what? A woman with male equipment will be in a stall. This transgendered man will now be in the women's room.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd prefer we keep sports (especially intercollegiate sports) as pure as possible and out of the political arena.

thankfully billy jean king disagreed with you. she opened the door for countless young girls in our country. she is a historic figure in our country, way beyond sports, but only because she combined sports and politics.

If you don't like the law, don't move to North Carolina, move out of North Carolina, or get the law changed through your feet (votes).

Seems to me that's what they did. They decided to stay out of NC.

Yep, just like I don't think we should stop playing all the universities stuck in sanctuary cities, despite open laws that defy the federal law. Nor should we stop playing in states that have legalized marijuana, openly defying the federal government. Again, while I disagree with the law in NC, it doesn't even break federal law. What's next, we're going to quit playing Northwestern because Chicago passes a law that you can't buy a dog in the city? Where does it end? As long as folks get to pick and choose what laws they're up in arms about, it will remain laughable.

Sparlimb also wishes that the U would have kept politics out of sports and stayed away from recruiting Sandy Stephens, Bill Munsey, and Judge Dickson in 1958.

But seriously, this law has to do with discriminating against humans because of something very private that they do not have control over, and suggesting these people as deviants or degenerates because of it. Your straw man arguments are weak because they have to do with stuff like pot consumption or the ability to buy a dog in an urban area. To answer your question, NO, that isn't "what's next" and if you try to argue from that perspective you sound like a complete fool.

Come to think of it, there might not even have been an element of choice in this matter. Vermont's governor, like the governors here in Minnesota, in New York and Washington (and maybe more?), banned non-essential travel to NC. Wouldn't a state university fall into that ban?

Sparlimb also wishes that the U would have kept politics out of sports and stayed away from recruiting Sandy Stephens, Bill Munsey, and Judge Dickson in 1958.

But seriously, this law has to do with discriminating against humans because of something very private that they do not have control over, and suggesting these people as deviants or degenerates because of it. Your straw man arguments are weak because they have to do with stuff like pot consumption or the ability to buy a dog in an urban area. To answer your question, NO, that isn't "what's next" and if you try to argue from that perspective you sound like a complete fool.

That's what I thought. The laws you don't like should be protested and the laws you do like are straw men. Too bad, thought we were going to have an honest debate there.

That's what I thought. The laws you don't like should be protested and the laws you do like are straw men. Too bad, thought we were going to have an honest debate there.

You are grouping a law that discriminates against an entire, already quite denigrated, group of people with a law about smoking pot and a law about owning pitbulls in urban areas. There's really nothing there to debate.

You should be ashamed. Time to move on.

You are grouping a law that discriminates against an entire, already quite denigrated, group of people with a law about smoking pot and a law about owning pitbulls in urban areas. There's really nothing there to debate.

This should be on the Off Topic Board. This is about politics and not about basketball. It is obvious that most of you that are 1500 miles do not understand what has happened that led to this final results called HB2. It was a bad way to fix something a lot worse. There still isn't a better way to fix it. It an off year very low turnout election the Charlotte city council and mayor were taken over by an very liberal group of LGBT activists. They quickly passed an ordinance requiring all bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers be opened to all sexes. When confronted with upset parents saying they did not want boys in the shower with their daughters they were told, "they just have to get over seeing a penis." We now have males competing in girls sports. Beautiful. There is so much wrong here and you haven't had the news coverage to understand the whole story.

This sort of city government is what you are defending? If Vermont WBB doesn't come to UNC we will be just fine. If the Gophers stay out that is too bad because the Gophers will miss out on a good win.

This should be on the Off Topic Board. This is about politics and not about basketball.

It a basketball topic, at the very least, because of scheduling implications. There are, of course similarities, with the North Dakota/NCAA nickname dispute which had an direct and discussable effect on the Gophers. Like it or not, college sports has a long political history even before Title IX.

Please. I've already said I disagree with the law and am not defending it. What I am defending is the right of any state to pass such laws. You claim this law is discriminatory, but someone else could make a equally persuasive argument that it protects children. Just like someone could argue (and many have) that sanctuary cities can promote the rights of illegal aliens over that of citizens of the country. I just wonder why you're not up in arms and protesting over that.

Please. I've already said I disagree with the law and am not defending it. What I am defending is the right of any state to pass such laws.

Again, this is a North Carolina statute passed to block a Charlotte statute, and a North Carolina statute likely in conflict with federal law. As such, the University has been blocked from enforcing it by a federal judge under Title IX etc.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...es-ruling-against-north-carolinas-hb2/497762/

Classes at the University of North Carolina began Tuesday with a big question still unresolved: the fate of HB2, the “bathroom bill” passed by the General Assembly in March. But late Friday afternoon federal Judge Thomas Schroeder delivered a defeat to the law, ruling that the university system cannot enforce it.

The statute requires transgender people to use the bathrooms corresponding to the sex on their birth certificate, rather than their gender identity, in public restrooms and locker rooms, including at schools and state universities. A range of groups are challenging the law, including the U.S. Department of Justice and the ACLU, alleging that the law violates Title IX of the Civil Rights Act as well as the Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the U.S. Constitution.

The case is just getting started, but several of the plaintiffs—including Joaquín Carcaño, a transgender man who is a student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill—requested an injunction to prevent the law from going into effect as the school year began. On Friday, Schroeder, a judge in the Middle District of North Carolina, sided with the plaintiffs.

Top Bottom