ESPN: Larry Fedora's decision to bring in Tim Beckman warrants scrutiny

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

North Carolina goes into the season a preseason top-25 team and the favorite in the Coastal Division. It is a program that finally seems headed in the right direction after so many years in which it could not get out of its own way.

Yet the headline Wednesday was not about the marquee matchup against Georgia next week or the energy and excitement players feel as they embark on what could be another stellar season. No, coach Larry Fedora created a sideshow when he decided to bring in former Illinois coach Tim Beckman as a volunteer assistant.

Fedora and North Carolina can justify this all they want, saying Beckman is there only to watch film and scout and that he will provide no instruction to players. But there is no justification for bringing in a former head coach who was fired after a school investigation found that he mistreated the very players he was entrusted to lead.

Rather than acknowledging the perception problem he created with the decision to welcome Beckman, Fedora told reporters in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, after practice Wednesday night, “I don't believe everything I read, all right. I know Tim. I know his side of the story also.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...ion-to-bring-in-tim-beckman-warrants-scrutiny

Go Gophers!!

Volunteer assistant. It's not like he gave him a big job or anything.

I recall Beckman's first B1G media day quite vividly and How weird he came across but there is a chance he is not as bad of a guy he was made out to be. One thing I remember about Nixon was he wanted to know how soon he could back into politics.

I recall Beckman's first B1G media day quite vividly and How weird he came across but there is a chance he is not as bad of a guy he was made out to be. One thing I remember about Nixon was he wanted to know how soon he could back into politics.
He reminded me of Will Ferrell in that Bill Brasky sketch on SNL during his B1G media day press conference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

IL plays UNC in week two. Should be interesting. That is one time I'll be cheering for the Illini to mop the field with them. I hope it is televised.

IL plays UNC in week two. Should be interesting. That is one time I'll be cheering for the Illini to mop the field with them. I hope it is televised.

North Carolina should be pretty good this year (top 25 good). Illinois should beat Purdue...

Can't believe everything you read. Not winning congers up all kind of reasons to fire a coach. Much like Leach in TT. I see Wash.State gave him an extension.

Top Bottom