Sid: Ex-Gophers get a shot with Vikings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Ex-Gophers get a shot

There are four former Gophers on the Vikings roster, and Marcus Sherels is the only one that probably has a guaranteed spot on the team this season, while Theiren Cockran, Isaac Fruechte and Troy Stoudermire will battle for spots on the 53-man roster or the practice squad.

Zimmer was asked what he has seen out of Cockran, a rookie free agent defensive tackle.

“He’s doing well; I think he’s doing a good job,” Zimmer said. “He comes out here and competes every day and works. He’s doing good.”

Does he have a shot to make the team?

“I think so,” he said. “We have to keep going. He’s like the defensive ends we like. He’s tall, has length. He’s a nice kid and he works hard. There’s a chance for him to play in the NFL.”

There’s a bit of a different story with Stoudermire, who officially is an NFL rookie despite being in training camp with the Bengals in 2013.

Stoudermire was cut by Cincinnati, went to the Canadian Football League and moved from defensive back to wide receiver and special teams returner, which is where Vikings scouts found him and signed him.

“He’s a really good athlete, and I think his quickness shows up probably more when he’s returning punts and at receiver than it did at defensive back,” Zimmer said. “It’s a completely different position. I think he has done a nice job, and he has a chance to have a good future.”

So how did the Vikings find out about Stoudermire in Canada?

“That was [General Manager] Rick [Spielman] and [assistant GM] George Paton and those guys,” Zimmer said. “They saw him in Canada and thought he had a chance. It’s really a credit to him to go up there and change positions and excel up there.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-coach-zimmer-pleased-with-bridgewater-s-progress/391233871/

Go Gophers!!

Or as PA calls him Troy Studermire

PA also likes QB Joel Sta VAY.

Top Bottom