Profile: Jalen Myrick The fastest player on the Gophers is ready to make an impact

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

As a sophomore, Myrick finished second in the Big Ten with 28.2 yards per return. He flashed his incredible speed with a 100-yard return for a touchdown. Myrick also began to show his skills as a cover corner, finishing second on the team with seven pass breakups and taking an interception to the house.

Myrick took those cover corner skills to a new level his junior season. He started in seven games and played in 10 last season.

The Bloomingdale, Ga., native proved his worth early on as a defender with a standout game against Purdue. Myrick snagged two passes away from the Boilermakers and took one back for six to help the Gophers win in a blowout.

Defensively, he finished with three interceptions, one touchdown, three pass breakups and 27 tackles. In the return game, he averaged 21.4 yards on 12 returns. He was named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082416aah.html

Go Gophers!!

As has been expressed in this forum by others, I'm not super comfortable with an important dude in the defensive secondary being put at risk as a return man.

As has been expressed in this forum by others, I'm not super comfortable with an important dude in the defensive secondary being put at risk as a return man.

Yeah, because injuries on KOR are so pervasive, lets's leave our best player on the bench and save him for important plays.

Yeah, because injuries on KOR are so pervasive, lets's leave our best player on the bench and save him for important plays.

I don't care if Mitch Leidner returns kick offs. 99% go through the end zone. I do think having Jalen doing punt returns, when he is the only experienced corner we have, is risky. There are other really fast guys on this team that could return punts, none of them are going to be counted on to shut down the other teams number one receiver.

It's not like Myrick is an elite return man either. His return against Northwestern 2 years ago was great, but he wasn't touched. Last year he was just average. Not to mention returning a kick is how he got hurt last year. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, would think we have a couple other guys that can do the KR job. Punt returner, need someone with sure hands and good instincts. The Craig James experience significantly dented the teams field position and could have easily cost games. Worthwhile to risk him if he's far and away the best.

Yeah, would think we have a couple other guys that can do the KR job. Punt returner, need someone with sure hands and good instincts. The Craig James experience significantly dented the teams field position and could have easily cost games. Worthwhile to risk him if he's far and away the best.

Good lord, I forgot about Craig James. His PR performance against TCU was mind-boggling, then he continued to regress during the season. I couldn't believe they kept going to James after those performances. He was a good player but not in that role.

easiest way to make 10 yards is with kicking game. If he has "great" hands and great judgment then I am ok with him returning kick offs and punts. Lacking in either, then stand next to TC until the defense is needed.

I don't care if Mitch Leidner returns kick offs. 99% go through the end zone. I do think having Jalen doing punt returns, when he is the only experienced corner we have, is risky. There are other really fast guys on this team that could return punts, none of them are going to be counted on to shut down the other teams number one receiver.

Being a good punt returner has very little to do with speed. Much more about being sure handed, level headed, and reliable.

Good lord, I forgot about Craig James. His PR performance against TCU was mind-boggling, then he continued to regress during the season. I couldn't believe they kept going to James after those performances. He was a good player but not in that role.

Mind-boggling is a good way to put it. He was brutal. He must have looked incredible in practice and then freaked out in games, otherwise I'm not sure how you keep putting a guy like that back on the field.

James did a good job his freshman year if I recall correctly.

James did a good job his freshman year if I recall correctly.

I also recall that, which is why I think a lot of people were excited about him after his freshman year. I know I was.

Yep. Which is exactly why the Vikings continue to use Sherels as a punt returner.

Sherels is one of the fastest guys on the team, so it's strange to hold him up as an example of why speed isn't important in a punt returner.

He did great as a true freshman. What happened last year?

Top Bottom