WBB: B1G 2016-17 Season

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/8/2...aley-named-graduate-assistants-for-iuwbb.aspx

One time Janel McCarville rival, Mistie Bass joins the Hoosiers as a graduate assistant.

Indiana Women's Basketball head coach Teri Moren has announced the hiring of WNBA veteran Mistie Bass and Eddie Praley as graduate assistants for the program for the 2016-17 season.

Bass arrives after a she concludes a nine-year career in the WNBA, most recently with the Phoenix Mercury (2014-2016) where she helped them to a WNBA Championship in 2014. She also spent time with the Houston Comets (2006-08), Chicago Sky (2009-10) and Connecticut Sun (2012-13). For her career, she has played in 276 games (54 starts) and averaged 4.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and a 51.7 field goal percentage. She appeared in 19 career playoff games including eight during the Mercury's championship run in 2014.

A Duke graduate (2002-06), Bass led the Blue Devils to a pair of Final Four appearances (2003, 2006) including a runner-up finish in the 2006 National Championship game. The Janesville, Wisconsin native was a Wooden Award nominee as a senior and also helped guide Duke to a pair of ACC titles (2003, 2004) during her tenure in Durham

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2016/9/7/jim-jabir-to-step-down-as-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Not a Big Ten note; but of interest to WBB fans nevertheless: Jim Jabir, Dayton head coach has stepped down. In 2015 the Flyers made a memorable elite eight run defeating Iowa State, Kentucky and Louisville before facing UConn.

Jim Jabir, head coach of the University of Dayton women's basketball team, has stepped down for personal reasons after leading the program for 13 seasons.

Jabir is the all-time wins leader in program history. During his tenure as head coach, the Flyers have earned a record of 252-155 at UD including six NCAA appearances for the Flyers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) – along with the program's first NCAA Elite Eight appearance in 2015.

"I am resigning today from the best job I have ever had," said Jabir. "Some of the greatest people I have ever known and coached are Flyers. Since the Elite Eight run in 2015, I have been emotionally and physically exhausted. I feel it's now time to take care of my family and personal health. I have given everything I had to the program and the University and I am very proud of what we have built over the past 14 years.

"Our amazing players and the program deserve the very best from their head coach and I feel at this time, I can't give them that. I want to catch my breath and spend time with my family, " added Jabir. "I look forward to returning to coaching someday. I will be cheering on the Flyers this season along with the best fans in the country."

I do not think we will be getting McCarville @ the U. I would settle for her teaching her monster half court pick to the current players.

I do not think we will be getting McCarville @ the U. I would settle for her teaching her monster half court pick to the current players.

Don Lucia just brought Corey Millen in as an undergraduate assistant (Corey last played in 1987). Perhaps Janel could also be an undergrad assistant-teach the pick, get a degree and, finally,receive a much deserved banner.:D

One minor question I've had is why we've never had a grad assistant-at least I don't remember one. Riche spent two years as grad assistant at K State before getting promoted to a regular gig.

Don Lucia just brought Corey Millen in as an undergraduate assistant (Corey last played in 1987). Perhaps Janel could also be an undergrad assistant-teach the pick, get a degree and, finally,receive a much deserved banner.:D

One minor question I've had is why we've never had a grad assistant-at least I don't remember one. Riche spent two years as grad assistant at K State before getting promoted to a regular gig.

I am sure shortly after Janel gets her degree, #4 will be in the rafters.

So, come on in and coach and finish that degree!!!!!

13245210_10153908092347634_5914780632705531697_n.jpg

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=211186423

Former Illini post Chatrice White will be immediately eligible to play at Florida State. Last year Jacqui Grant and another Illinois teammate became immediately eligible after transferring to DePaul. The NCAA seems to take whatever happened at Illinois seriously enough to grant players waivers. Too bad we can't get Fernstrom eligible earlier than the B1G season.

The Florida State Women’s Basketball program received some tremendous news from the NCAA on Friday as former All-Big Ten standout center Chatrice White has been granted immediate eligibility for the upcoming 2016-17 season.

Instead of entering her redshirt sophomore year having to sit out with two years of eligibility remaining, she now has the same amount of years remaining as a junior. The native of Shelby, Neb., will participate with FSU beginning with its first official practice on Monday, Oct. 3. She can now engage in season-long competition right away, beginning with FSU’s season opener on Friday, Nov. 11, vs. Jacksonville State.

“Chatrice brings so many great elements to our team and to have her play immediately gives us even more versatility," FSU head coach Sue Semrau said. "It adds to our low post game and gives us an enormous amount of depth. We’re excited for her and ready to get her started this season.”

BTN released their TV schedule today. Looks like gophers will be on BTN for sure 5 times with the possibility of their last two conference games also being picked up. Also their game at South Carolina will be on SEC network.

Sat., Nov. 12 Harvard (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 2 p.m.
Tues., Nov. 15 at VCU Richmond, Va. TBA
Fri., Nov. 18 Georgetown (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 4 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 20 Seton Hall (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 2 p.m.

Junkanoo Jam – Freeport Bahamas
Thurs., Nov. 24 vs. Georgia Freeport, Bahamas 1 p.m.
Nov. 25/26 vs. North Carolina/South Florida Freeport, Bahamas 4:45 p.m. Wed.,

Nov. 30 Florida State (B1G/ACC) (BTN) Williams Arena 6 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 3 Detroit (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 2 p.m.
Tues., Dec. 6 at New Mexico Albuquerque, N.M. 8 p.m.
Thurs., Dec. 8 Army West Point (BTN) Williams Arena 8 p.m.
Sun., Dec. 11 at South Carolina (SEC Network) Columbia, S.C. 2 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 14 Belmont (BTN Plus) Williams Arena Noon
Thurs., Dec. 22 Kent State (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 7 p.m.

Wed., Dec. 28 at Ohio State* (BTN Plus) Columbus, Ohio 6 p.m.
Sun., Jan. 1 Maryland* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 5 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 4 at Indiana* (BTN Plus) Bloomington, Ind. 6 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 7 Wisconsin* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 5 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 11 Northwestern* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 7 p.m.
Sun., Jan. 15 at Michigan* (BTN) Ann Arbor, Mich. 11 a.m./3:30 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 18 Illinois* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 7 p.m.
Sat., Jan. 21 at Iowa* (BTN Plus) Iowa City, Iowa 2 p.m.
Thurs., Jan. 26 Ohio State* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 7 p.m.
Mon., Jan. 30 Michigan State* (BTN) Williams Arena 7 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 4 at Nebraska* (BTN) Lincoln, Neb. 5 p.m.
Wed., Feb. 8 at Penn State* (BTN Plus) University Park, Pa. 6 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 11 Rutgers* (BTN Plus) Williams Arena 2 p.m.
Thurs., Feb. 16 at Michigan State* (BTN Plus) East Lansing, Mich. 6 p.m.
Thurs., Feb. 23 Purdue* (BTN or BTN Plus) Williams Arena TBA
Sun., Feb. 26 at Maryland* (BTN or BTN Plus) College Park, Md. TBA

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_57f36cae-acbf-5a48-9a61-22737ec8c221.html

Husker injury:

The Nebraska women's basketball team will be without one of its key frontcourt players for the 2016-17 season.

Coach Amy Williams announced Wednesday that Rachel Blackburn is scheduled to have season-ending knee surgery. The 6-foot-3 sophomore forward has been dealing with chronic knee pain since she was young.

Blackburn was slowed by knee and foot injuries last season, but managed to play in 25 games. She averaged 4.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game as a freshman.

The Leavenworth, Kansas, native was expected to play a bigger role up front next to sophomore Jessica Shepard and senior Allie Havers.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...fe_to_miss_season_as_rutgers_womens_bask.html

A major loss for Rutgers: Tyler Scaife will redshirt.

All-Big Ten senior guard Tyler Scaife will take a redshirt and miss the entire season for the Rutgers women's basketball team.

The sharp-shooting Scaife averaged 17.2 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game last season, her third as a starter.

Scaife's absence means that Rutgers will be without all five players who started 17 games or more on the way to a 19-15 finish and a second-round exit from the WNIT.

The news broke Friday afternoon ahead of MidKnight Madness.

"I want to assure our Scarlet Knight family that I am alright," Scaife said in a statement released by the school. "A matter arose after last year's basketball season that needed attention. After consulting with my family and medical team, I had a routine medical procedure.

"I feel that it is in my best interest to spend this season getting healthy. The matter is not career-ending, substance abuse or pregnancy. I look forward to continuing team activities, and returning to the floor in the future."

Top Bottom