Claeys on Tyler Johnson: ..."for a true freshman, it’s unbelievable. Really is"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Claeys on Tyler Johnson: ..."for a true freshman, it’s unbelievable. Really is"

per Shama:

The football Gophers need a breakout player at wide receiver and they may get a huge surprise. Tyler Johnson, 6-2, 215-pounds, was a quarterback and defensive back at Minneapolis North but he’s made a big impression catching footballs in August practices.

“Done a tremendous job,” said Gophers coach Tracy Claeys. “I mean, for a true freshman, it’s unbelievable. Really is, just because you’re talking about a kid who played every sport in high school, including baseball, AAU basketball, (and) hadn’t had much time in the weight room. If we wouldn’t bring in freshmen in June he probably wouldn’t have a chance because of the strength thing, but he’s added some strength, and he’s gained some weight.

“I do think that the AAU basketball has given him a mentality of competing against older kids. …It didn’t faze him to get out there and go against older kids. Tremendous hands, and he can jump and come up with the ball. He’ll definitely be a part of what we’re doing this fall.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Please, and please let us have more than one good passing target.

Gosh I'm excited about this kid, and I don't even know what he looks like. But he's sure received a lot of praise from people who have seen him practice.

Let's hope from a hype perspective that he's more Laurence Maroney The Freshman than Jeff Jones The Freshman. (I know he's not a running back).

My chili is getting... well you get the point.

Let's hope from a hype perspective that he's more Laurence Maroney The Freshman than Jeff Jones The Freshman. (I know he's not a running back).

Jeff Jones was NOT getting this type of hype from the coaches a week before the season opener.

come on guys

It's the same one time quote written on different days by 5 different people. Whatever Jerry's line was... "Don't tell me, show me!" Some version of that... Is what I hope to see.
Hype is nice, but might be more effective overall to the player and team if it was about a senior...say Mitch for instance...been very quiet since practice started regarding Mitch or Pirsig.
Hyping guys who haven't played a down is dangerous on many fronts. Puff up your captains.

Really? You had to go there? By all accounts, Tyler is a great student and he was all world in high school. He will be a major contributor to success of U football!

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended Minneapolis North High School • three-year letterwinner and played quarterback and defensive back as the Polars compiled an 11-2 record and a 7-1 mark in conference play in 2015 • as a senior, he led the team to a state championship appearance by throwing for 2,606 yards and 36 touchdowns, while amassing over 1,100 yards and 20 scores on the ground • averaged one touchdown every six snaps taken • added three interceptions at defensive back • invited to play in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl • as a junior, threw for seven touchdowns, while adding 12 tackles, including 3.0 tackles-for-loss, and a fumble recovery on defense • named 2014 Third Team All-State • as a sophomore, threw for 1,986 yards and 24 touchdowns to go along with 688 yards and 10 touchdowns rushing • averaged 334.3 total yards per game • coached by Charles Adams • also played basketball and led North to a state championship as a senior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please, and please let us have more than one good passing target.

We have some capable guys on the roster, what we have lacked is that star receiver that draws the attention of the defense. Guys like Wolitarsky, Lingen, Still....could thrive as secondary options to an elite guy. Will Johnson be that guy? Man I hope so but time will tell.

True Freshman elite receivers happen all the time...on other teams. Why not the Gophers?

True Freshman elite receivers happen all the time...on other teams. Why not the Gophers?

Totally agree, it is why I didn't buy the hype for guys like Holland and Gentry when it was taking them multiple years to get on the field. There are some positions where it absolutely takes multiple years to develop but the skill spots of WR and RB are areas where a guy can come in right away and make an impact if he is truly good enough.

This staff has done ok on the RB front but they have struggled to land an impact receiver, hopefully Johnson can be that guy.

Totally agree, it is why I didn't buy the hype for guys like Holland and Gentry when it was taking them multiple years to get on the field. There are some positions where it absolutely takes multiple years to develop but the skill spots of WR and RB are areas where a guy can come in right away and make an impact if he is truly good enough.

This staff has done ok on the RB front but <b>they have struggled to land an impact receiver, </b>hopefully Johnson can be that guy.

You are so right. Two years ago we had the 4-some that was going to change everything. 2 are no longer here and the other 2 were beat out by a trFr in their RsFr year and now appear to be beaten out by more trFr as RsSo. I know injuries have played some role (esp w/ IG) and I'm not writing MHjr or IG off, but that is disappointing and increases the need to hit a home run in this year's class. I think RS will be a stud so if TJ can indeed step right in we might have a legit crew. A lot to ask of a trFr who has never played WR tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This staff has done ok on the RB front but they have struggled to land an impact receiver, hopefully Johnson can be that guy.

I don't know if I bought the hype or not, but how could these guys show anything in a Pop Warner passing offense designed and implemented by a couple of anal-retentive offensive minds that on some days could make Woody Hayes seem like Sid Gilman.

You are so right. Two years ago we had the 4-some that was going to change everything. 2 are no longer here and the other 2 were beat out by a trFr in their RsFr year and now appear to be beaten out by more trFr as RsSo. I know injuries have played some role (esp w/ IG) and I'm not writing MHjr or IG off, but that is disappointing and increases the need to hit a home run in this year's class. I think RS will be a stud so if TJ can indeed step right in we might have a legit crew. A lot to ask of a trFr who has never played WR tho.

:confused:

I suspect if Tyler also develops a groin injury he will no longer be on the 2 deeps. Too early to say if he has truly beat beat out Holland Jr. etc. Every statement I've read is that he's impressed "for a true freshman". Claeys seemed frustrated when discussing the guys that couldn't practice the other night. The problem with that is if you rush guys back, insist on offseason workouts etc some injuries may never heal properly.

Gentry wartch continues. Very frustrating.

I think they are improving recruitment for this position and that's why those other "hyped" guys are getting beat out by newer recruits. I'm pretty close to giddy waiting to see what Still does with consistent playing time. Hope they get him deep in single coverage a couple times next Thursday.

He is hard to follow when there's no number next to the initials.

LOL. It's still the offseason and there have been # changes. I'm not up to speed on all the numbers right now and don't have a desire to look them up when typing. I'll get there. [emoji3]

Sounds like some of that truthful hyperbole we've been hearing so much about..:cool02:

Ummm...can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the...things?

I think they are improving recruitment for this position and that's why those other "hyped" guys are getting beat out by newer recruits. I'm pretty close to giddy waiting to see what Still does with consistent playing time. Hope they get him deep in single coverage a couple times next Thursday.

No offense but their recruiting at the WR position can't be much worse then it has been to date. Some of the blame can go to the QB and the offensive structure but it hasn't really looked like there was great talent there being limited by the other parts of the offense. When unproductive players are getting beat out by younger players it is as much a sign of the older player being a bust as it is the younger player being a stud.

The WR position has been a black hole under the Kill administration and its off shoots. Hopefully Claeys can change that and actually get some game breaking talent in here at that WR position.

LOL. It's still the offseason and there have been # changes. I'm not up to speed on all the numbers right now and don't have a desire to look them up when typing. I'll get there. [emoji3]

Time to add some heat to your chili.

If I remember correctly the staff initially didn't know which position he would play, but after putting in an impressive effort at a camp, it became very apparent to all recruiting him that he would be a WR. Certainly has all the physical tools and one could argue that he has a unique perspective to the position having played QB and S in high school. Also, the time for a true Freshman WR to shine is with a new OC. All are on equal footing with regards to the playbook and there are is no allegience to past recruits.

Claeys isn't one to blow smoke, so I believe that he is truly having a great camp. I'm excited to see him play.

No offense but their recruiting at the WR position can't be much worse then it has been to date. Some of the blame can go to the QB and the offensive structure but it hasn't really looked like there was great talent there being limited by the other parts of the offense. When unproductive players are getting beat out by younger players it is as much a sign of the older player being a bust as it is the younger player being a stud.

The WR position has been a black hole under the Kill administration and its off shoots. Hopefully Claeys can change that and actually get some game breaking talent in here at that WR position.

I might get burned because I do not know if the Kill team recruited KJ Maye or not but you can't exactly say this. He may still make a roster in the NFL. Still also could completely bust your statement. His numbers last year as a freshman didn't heat my chili too hot but it definitely warmed it and he could be set for a break out year if our OLine can give mitch that extra half second he was missing last year. Add in someone like Tyler Johnson and some running backs who catch the ball to help spread the field and our pass attack could actually be pretty interesting beyond Lingen.

Top Bottom