USA Today: Iowa football strength coach making almost $600,000 per year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

There is now a major college football strength and conditioning coach making nearly $600,000 a year: Iowa’s Chris Doyle.

Doyle will make $595,000 in base compensation from the university for a one-year period that began July 1, according to information provided by the university in response to an open-records request from USA TODAY Sports.

Doyle’s compensation reflects a raise of $80,000, or 15.5%, over his pay for last year and it matches the basic amounts that Hawkeyes offensive coordinator Greg Davis and defensive coordinator Phil Parker are scheduled to make.

Doyle is being paid more than double the amounts going to many of his Big Ten Conference peers, and it’s $70,000 more than what reigning national champion Alabama’s Scott Cochran is being paid this season.

Doyle is fond of saying that although other FBS programs collect talent, Iowa builds it — usually with two- and three-star recruits. The Hawkeyes have long emphasized their developmental methods, which under Ferentz has produced Outland Trophy winners Robert Gallery (2003) and Brandon Scherff (2014) and 2007 AFC Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders.

Since 2003, Iowa has had five former walk-ons chosen in the NFL Draft.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-strength-coach-chris-doyle-salary/89115760/

Go Gophers!!

ESPNU was discussing this on a show with Sam Ponder, Des Howard, Booger McFarland, and some other guy last night. They were ripping into Iowa pretty good about paying a S&C coach this amount of money.

Maybe he's their bagman...

There is always one who knows where the bodies are buried. Was this the guy involved in the rhabdomyolysis incident a few years ago? Landed more than a few in the hospital if I recall.

The Athletic Department at The University of Iowa is self-sustaining and contributes millions to other departments at the University. No money comes from the University's general fund. As an alumnus, who donates, I have no problem with Mr. Doyle's salary.

There is always one who knows where the bodies are buried. Was this the guy involved in the rhabdomyolysis incident a few years ago? Landed more than a few in the hospital if I recall.

Yes he was:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6061650

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, athletic director Gary Barta and team doctor Ned Amendola were all out of town on business and not at the news conference. Chris Doyle, the team's strength and conditioning coach who has worked under Ferentz all 12 years of his tenure, and other strength coaches who oversaw the workouts were not made available to reporters.

Doyle is nationally known as a leader in player development, turning sometimes scrawny freshmen into physical specimens by the time they graduate. Ferentz has said that is a key part of his program's success.

The Athletic Department at The University of Iowa is self-sustaining and contributes millions to other departments at the University. No money comes from the University's general fund. As an alumnus, who donates, I have no problem with Mr. Doyle's salary.

No one is saying Iowa is negligent in giving him this type of salary. The issue is whether or not he is worth the money given that the vast majority of strength coaches are paid less than half this amount.

He is not only lucky to making that much money but also in not being charged or sued for negligence in exercising players to the point of muscle breakdown.
People have lost limbs and developed kidney failure from rhabdomyolysis.

He must be a licensed physician to get paid that much, and in order to treat in house weight training complications like rhabdomyolysis. [emoji6]

He is not only lucky to making that much money but also in not being charged or sued for negligence in exercising players to the point of muscle breakdown.

This...

I think this is a disease one of my co-workers passed from a couple years ago. Is this where a protein is secreted into the bloodstream and attaches itself to vital organs making them extremely inneficient?

In what ways does the athletic department contribute millions to other departments at the university?

In what ways does the athletic department contribute millions to other departments at the university?

Highly doubt it does. Unless via parking revenue.

The issue with paying this guy so much is, why was it necessary? If the competition is paying that much, I get it. But why pay so much over the level established in the market place? Seems like a waste of money that could have gone elsewhere.

Considering he's making 75 k more than the Alabama S&C coach I care and find it interesting.

As another poster stated, why pay 15% more than the very top of market (and most make far, far less) in a transparent labor market. Salaries and contracts are widely available. This is Iowa, not USC.

Not that I'm insinuating anything, but I do find it " interesting". Cue conspiracy theories on extensive PED program, covering up orders from Ferentz to work the guys to near-death, etc etc.

Unintended consequence of the $15 minimum wage.

According to this USA today chart, in 2014-15 Iowa athletics took in $105,969,000 and expended $109,214,000 with a subsidy of $650,000. Yes, accounting methods may differ.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Considering he's making 75 k more than the Alabama S&C coach I care and find it interesting.

As another poster stated, why pay 15% more than the very top of market (and most make far, far less) in a transparent labor market. Salaries and contracts are widely available. This is Iowa, not USC.

Not that I'm insinuating anything, but I do find it " interesting". Cue conspiracy theories on extensive PED program, covering up orders from Ferentz to work the guys to near-death, etc etc.

He's not getting paid 15% more if the money goes the the players....

I'm not sure why this surprises people. Yes it's Iowa, but Ferentz has been one of the top paid coaches in college football for awhile now. Why can't they also have the top paid S&C coach if Ferentz believes he's a big part of his success?

Just like there were always rumors about Ferentz leaving, there's no reason why a helmet school couldn't come along and poach this guy for just as much if not more money. Iowa is just doing what they need to keep both.

Wouldn't you ask for a lot of cash if you had to live in Iowa?

I'm not sure why this surprises people. Yes it's Iowa, but Ferentz has been one of the top paid coaches in college football for awhile now. Why can't they also have the top paid S&C coach if Ferentz believes he's a big part of his success?

Just like there were always rumors about Ferentz leaving, there's no reason why a helmet school couldn't come along and poach this guy for just as much if not more money. Iowa is just doing what they need to keep both.

You would have to pay me 100% more to live in most parts of Iowa. So I can see that.

Considering their athletic department is apparently running a deficit and Iowa is still not a top program after 17 years some people might question the expenditure.

He's not getting paid 15% more if the money goes the the players....

I was going to say something similar. I find the salary interesting in the same way the IRS might find a business owner paying his grade school kids 50k to empty trash baskets "interesting".

This was about the time that the supplement Jack3d containing Dimethylamylamine was popular and has been banned by the FDA.

Iowa is still not a top program after 17 years some people might question the expenditure.

I guess everyone's definition of "top program" differs, but I would pay our S&C guy $1 million per year if it meant over the next 17 years the Gophers went to a Jan 1 bowl game in more than 50% of the seasons (9 of 17), including three BCS level bowl games, and finished in the nation's Top 10 in 30% of the seasons (4 of 17). Throw in a couple of Big 10 titles and a Big Ten Championship game appearance, and I'd be fairly happy. And, more than willing to pay the strength coach big bucks.

Well, yeah but it doesn't explain the salary. Much more successful programs would outbid ferments if he has some black magic method. The strength coach has 4 assistants that know his methods. Why not promote one of them?

According to this USA today chart, in 2014-15 Iowa athletics took in $105,969,000 and expended $109,214,000 with a subsidy of $650,000. Yes, accounting methods may differ.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_79fa6d20-89a6-5be9-98b2-7c64a6b0d2a1.html

"Iowa is also counting on growth in the dollars it receives from donors. The UI Foundation provided $14,385,614 in support in 2016 and is anticipating revenue of $15,253,646 during the 2017 fiscal year.

Operating 24 intercollegiate programs, the Iowa athletics department is self-sustaining and receives no general university funds.

The budget does include $650,000 in student fees which is used to fund debt service on Student Recreation Services facilities that were financed through the athletic department."

Highly doubt it does. Unless via parking revenue.

The issue with paying this guy so much is, why was it necessary? If the competition is paying that much, I get it. But why pay so much over the level established in the market place? Seems like a waste of money that could have gone elsewhere.

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/b...cle_79fa6d20-89a6-5be9-98b2-7c64a6b0d2a1.html

"Iowa’s budget also includes $21.5 million the athletics department anticipates paying to other university departments, including Public Safety, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, parking, scholarships, utilities, university business services and residence services."

Top Bottom