The Gophers have released the depth chart...

Most coaches use punters, so that means that MANY do not use QBs. That went away in the 1970s.

You might be confusing many with most. I have no argument that many coaches use punters.

In the NFL, limited roster sizes and the 3rd string quarterback rule (now rescinded) made it more impractical to use a QB as the place holder, although it is still done. Some recent examples: Tony Romo was the Cowboys' holder for many seasons, the Saints use a QB, and Tom Brady has been a holder.

In college, you quite often see a QB as the holder. The reason being there is an advantage for sure hands and fake kicks. As we saw last year with Santosa, not all kickers can run the ball or pass it well, but most QBs can.

Also in college, holding is a good way to get a young QB on the field to start getting some real game experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right. Claeys has basically 1 season to prove himself and he's going to play an inferior player? Because he cares about getting a redshirt season for Demry? On the asinine scale, this is off the charts.

I think it's a win win Rhoda is the legit number 2. By all accounts everyone besides Mitch could use another year to develop. Green gets a rs, Croft gets the rs most here think he should have had last year, and they can battle it out next year for the starting spot after sitting and learning for a full year.

I do think Claeys plays the best kid, but if things between the two are equal, why burn a possible rs if you don't have to?

If this ends up being accurate, I think it corrects a big mistake from last year. I'm all for it.

I think it's a win win Rhoda is the legit number 2. By all accounts everyone besides Mitch could use another year to develop. Green gets a rs, Croft gets the rs most here think he should have had last year, and they can battle it out next year for the starting spot after sitting and learning for a full year.

I do think Claeys plays the best kid, but if things between the two are equal, why burn a possible rs if you don't have to?

If this ends up being accurate, I think it corrects a big mistake from last year. I'm all for it.

Looking back on the Kill QB years it now does feel like there was a bit of a tendency to throw in the "hyped Freshman" in place of the QB's that have been here for a while. I don't know if that signals a lack of developing QB's or too much belief in their own hype. There has to be a reason why so many "promising" QB's have left or were forced to switch positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might be confusing many with most. I have no argument that many coaches use punters.

In the NFL, limited roster sizes and the 3rd string quarterback rule (now rescinded) made it more impractical to use a QB as the place holder, although it is still done. Some recent examples: Tony Romo was the Cowboys' holder for many seasons, the Saints use a QB, and Tom Brady has been a holder.

In college, you quite often see a QB as the holder. The reason being there is an advantage for sure hands and fake kicks. As we saw last year with Santosa, not all kickers can run the ball or pass it well, but most QBs can.

Also in college, holding is a good way to get a young QB on the field to start getting some real game experience.

We'll agree to disagree. Only a small percentage use QBs now. The main reason is that most coaches don't want QBs wasting practice time on special teams. The punters are always with the kickers in practice. They get about hundreds of more reps together a week. Simple math and logistics.

They're not even calling it a depth chart. It's a position chart, whatever that is. I wouldn't look too much into it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I look forward to the Chart Chart!

Hmmm. I think someone else was touting the capabilities of a kid named Waters? Where's he?

Like S2 said, Waters is a redshirt freshman. It's shouldn't be surprising that he's behind a redshirt senior. My main point was that he had been impressive and was above Williams on the depth chart.

I heard Claeys says this too. With no reason to put out a chart like this so early, it really makes me think that Claeys may be doing this to rattle some cages. Not seeing your name on a depth chart when you expected to be there could have different outcomes for individuals. I'd imagine some will pout, some will pick it up a notch. Either way, by doing this way in advance of the game, it sure gives time to let things work out.

Maybe it's a marketing ploy. "Hey, let's put out a position chart 9 days before the first game to get people talking Gopher Football. They media will run with it and if we put some true freshmen Minnesotan's on the two deep, we may sell some more tickets."

My main point was that he had been impressive and was above Williams on the depth chart.

A depth chart hasn't been released, so you can't know that. Neither are on the "position chart", so the only people who actually know who's above who on the "depth chart" aren't posting on GopherHole. That's been my point all along. You're posting your opinion as fact.

Exactly right. Claeys has basically 1 season to prove himself and he's going to play an inferior player? Because he cares about getting a redshirt season for Demry? On the asinine scale, this is off the charts.

You just don't get it. Why do people think the depth chart means anything? I'm not saying he is going to play an inferior player for any reason. I am saying Rhoda isn't really #2 even if listed as such on a stupid depth chart as #2. Him playing mop up duty wouldn't prove it either. If ML7 gets hurt and we need a QB in critical time, then we will see who comes in. Until then you are guessing as much as me.

A depth chart hasn't been released, so you can't know that. Neither are on the "position chart", so the only people who actually know who's above who on the "depth chart" aren't posting on GopherHole. That's been my point all along. You're posting your opinion as fact.

There are no "facts." How do you know Mitch will be starting at QB?

You just don't get it. Why do people think the depth chart means anything? I'm not saying he is going to play an inferior player for any reason. I am saying Rhoda isn't really #2 even if listed as such on a stupid depth chart as #2. Him playing mop up duty wouldn't prove it either. If ML7 gets hurt and we need a QB in critical time, then we will see who comes in. Until then you are guessing as much as me.

Yar, not a difficult concept here. Garbage time player /= prospect you hope to save a year on.

In the meantime if I were eligible they could run me out on the field for every play, and I'm not on the chart at all.

There are no "facts." How do you know Mitch will be starting at QB?

giphy.gif

Looking back on the Kill QB years it now does feel like there was a bit of a tendency to throw in the "hyped Freshman" in place of the QB's that have been here for a while. I don't know if that signals a lack of developing QB's or too much belief in their own hype. There has to be a reason why so many "promising" QB's have left or were forced to switch positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think this has been discussed to death already. Wondering who all the "promising" QBs are who left the program? Weber came in and basically started his entire career. Kill ran a different style offense than Brewster, but Gray still was a starter, switched to WR to help his chances to make NFL, which was the right move. Nelson wanted a guarantee that he would be the starter.

Talent.

The same "talent" that threw multiple picks in the spring game? The same talent that had zero Power 5 offers other than MN? We've certainly had worse QBs on the roster than Demry and I like his potential, but he'll be fighting for the starting job next year vs Williams and Green. He's not Steve Young waiting in the wings...

I'm not really guessing. He's currently listed as #2 on the depth chart.

The same "talent" that threw multiple picks in the spring game? The same talent that had zero Power 5 offers other than MN? We've certainly had worse QBs on the roster than Demry and I like his potential, but he'll be fighting for the starting job next year vs Williams and Green. He's not Steve Young waiting in the wings...

Yep, I agree with all that. I didn't say he has as much talent as Steve Young. Never dreamed it. I said he has more talent than Rhoda. Way to take my statement on a tangent tho. What a joke.

Yar, not a difficult concept here. Garbage time player /= prospect you hope to save a year on.

In the meantime if I were eligible they could run me out on the field for every play, and I'm not on the chart at all.

In the last 30 years of Gopher football, how many non-freshman have taken a non-medical redshirt year? I can think of one: Gary Moore.

Even less difficult concept...coach doesn't list player as back up unless player is the next best option.

Yep, I agree with all that. I didn't say he has as much talent as Steve Young. Never dreamed it. I said he has more talent than Rhoda. Way to take my statement on a tangent tho. What a joke.

I agree that Croft appears to have more upside (talent?) than Rhoda. But why do you assume he's a better QB right now? Despite what's listed on the depth chart.

I agree that Croft appears to have more upside (talent?) than Rhoda. But <b>why do you assume he's a better QB right now</b>? Despite what's listed on the depth chart.

My opinion is based on my view of their talent, potential, ability, upside, play, etc. Just watching them throw the ball in practice makes me assume that. CR couldn't beat him out when he was a true Freshman looking like a deer in headlights - why do you assume he's a better QB right now simply because he is listed ahead of him on some silly depth chart?

I'm OK having a different opinion than you on this John. As I said, hopefully ML7 is healthy all year and this debate is never settled.

In the last 30 years of Gopher football, how many non-freshman have taken a non-medical redshirt year? I can think of one: Gary Moore.

Great point...all the more reason to list Croft or Green as #2 on chart if they indeed were the next best option.

For better or worse, this is Tracy Claeys' team now, and I think he has shown he's going to do things his way. If that ruffles some feathers, so be it. Maybe a few upperclassmen will be ticked off to see themselves listed behind freshmen on the depth chart/position chart. Claeys has said all along he's going to play people who give the team the best chance to win. There is no reason to doubt that. Maybe - just maybe - some of the freshmen are just better than the upperclassmen at that position. What is the coach supposed to say: "sorry son - you're clearly the better player in practice, but I have to let the Juniors and Seniors play because they're older." That cr*p might fly in HS, but not at a D1 school - where the coach is on a short-term contract and working with a new AD who didn't hire him.

In the end, we'll see the result on the field. And, as others have said, the depth/position chart is likely to look a lot different in a couple of weeks as people come back from injury, or certain upperclassmen kick themselves in the butt and do what the coach expects.

should be fun to watch. If its run run then just go with green/croft and run the option. get Leidnerstein outta there.

I agree that Croft appears to have more upside (talent?) than Rhoda. But why do you assume he's a better QB right now? Despite what's listed on the depth chart.

With a new OC/QB coach it is feasible that Croft never sees the field again. Maybe he isn't improving. Unless Leidner gets hurt, there's no worries. There will be 4QB's battling in Spring.

My opinion is based on my view of their talent, potential, ability, upside, play, etc. Just watching them throw the ball in practice makes me assume that. CR couldn't beat him out when he was a true Freshman looking like a deer in headlights - why do you assume he's a better QB right now simply because he is listed ahead of him on some silly depth chart?

I'm OK having a different opinion than you on this John. As I said, hopefully ML7 is healthy all year and this debate is never settled.

Coaches play QBs based on their demonstrated ability to successfully execute the offense to win games. Using your criteria, maybe Croft should actually be the starter over Mitch. Heck, arguably Seth Green has the most talent, potential, upside, etc, at QB.

Coaches play QBs based on their demonstrated ability to successfully execute the offense to win games. Using your criteria, maybe Croft should actually be the starter over Mitch. Heck, arguably Seth Green has the most talent, potential, upside, etc, at QB.

Good Talk.

Top Bottom