The Gophers have released the depth chart...

Probably has more to do with them wanting to redshirt Croft, Green and Williams than Football IQ. I would imagine Croft starts if there's an injury.

Agreed, I think if Leidner was to miss significant time they'd probably play Croft over Rhoda.

I'm going with this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Claeys says this too. With no reason to put out a chart like this so early, it really makes me think that Claeys may be doing this to rattle some cages. Not seeing your name on a depth chart when you expected to be there could have different outcomes for individuals. I'd imagine some will pout, some will pick it up a notch. Either way, by doing this way in advance of the game, it sure gives time to let things work out.

Interesting....

We have more true freshman and redshirt freshman (4) on the offensive 2 deep than seniors.

I'm still annoyed they burned Mayes rs. Going on memory he barely played. At least Moore played even they burned his

Agreed, I think if Leidner was to miss significant time they'd probably play Croft over Rhoda.

Have to disagree...always thought Rhoda had potential and looks like he is proving that as a 21 year old RS Jr. No way TC would put him at backup if he didn't think Conor was best option after Mitch, no way. That would be a sure confidence killer to do so.

Where is Ace Rogers?

My thoughts too, they have a frosh at safety, but no Rogers or Dior Johnson.
Those two were suppose to be studs, and I hope Ayinde has gained leaps and
bounds from last year, because I was greatly underwhelmed. I know he was
a walk-on...but thought these other two would've claimed their roles.
We shall see......

I thought Rogers was injured which is why he probably isn't listed. Did I dream that or did I see it posted here somewhere that he was banged up??

Nice to see Still as starter...feeling a B1G season coming from him. Definitely Sunday material if he can break out this year.

Several thoughts...Remember this depth chart is a moving target. Since we haven't seen an injury report much of this report means nothing as guys get healthy. I completely agree with PMWinSTP on his assessment of the QB situation. Rhoda by all reports has had a great spring and fall camp, and don't forget that these QB's are being asked to have an understanding of the offense that they haven't had to comprehend before. They have to be able to read defenses and blocking schemes that were never required under Limegrover. Don't discount all of this information when considering Rhoda as the next guy up. Can't wait for September 1.

Have to disagree...always thought Rhoda had potential and looks like he is proving that as a 21 year old RS Jr. <b>No way TC would put him at backup if he didn't think Conor was best option after Mitch, no way. </b>That would be a sure confidence killer to do so.

No Way? Try mop up duty to save a Red-Shirt on Croft. He should have been used for that last year. Claeys won't make the same mistake Kill did.

No Way? Try mop up duty to save a Red-Shirt on Croft. He should have been used for that last year. Claeys won't make the same mistake Kill did.

I'm confused...you sound like you agree with me on Rhoda. Please clarify.

I'm confused...you sound like you agree with me on Rhoda. Please clarify.

Mop up duty = Rhoda
Significant/critical game time = Croft
That is my theory.

Mop up duty = Rhoda
Significant/critical game time = Croft
That is my theory.

OK, we don't agree, thanks. No way he puts a guy as back up for QB if he doesn't think he is the next best option, regardless of the situation. Makes no sense if he doesn't feel confident that Rhoda is really the back up, none.

Being very cautious with injuries, even dings. Claeys has predicted an very successful season. Need to be in top form for the B1G.

OK, we don't agree, thanks. No way he puts a guy as back up for QB if he doesn't think he is the next best option, regardless of the situation. Makes no sense if he doesn't feel confident that Rhoda is really the back up, none.

OK. We will agree to disagree. Hopefully ML7 stays healthy all year and we will never find out which of us is right.

He's a pwo

Never seen field

Brian Smith has looked good at all the practices I've been at the past 2 years. In fact, he's played better than several of our "highly rated" recruits.

Brian Smith has looked good at all the practices I've been at the past 2 years. In fact, he's played better than several of our "highly rated" recruits.

Just from the eye test point of view he looks like he is an NFL player.

Carter is a little surprising, maybe injury related? He looked like he could be a decent player. Holland and Gentry have had bust written all over them for a while now and the fact that they aren't even on the two deep behind true freshmen and players that haven't even been playing the position long says they will probably never really amount to much for the maroon and gold. Hopefully we will see some good things out of the wide receivers, it has been a weak spot in our offense for quite a while.

Before you label kids busts, maybe you should first learn some facts. Injuries are one of the contributing factors for why neither is on the 2-deep.

Is this official? Where was it posted? There are many notable omissions, aside from Jerry Gibson's name being misspelled. I've never seen a depth chart released nine days before a game, nor one that says "subject to change".

It must not be real if Everett Williams isn't listed...:rolleyes:

I'm going with this as well.

Why is it so unlikely that Rhoda just beat him out? Rhoda was awarded a scholarship during the off-season and all reports have said he has been more consistent than Demry.

Everyone's wet dream continues to be Croft getting his redshirt back for some reason. On my list of 1,000,000 things I'd like to see different with the Gophers, this ranks between 990,000 and 1,000,000.

Exactly right. Claeys has basically 1 season to prove himself and he's going to play an inferior player? Because he cares about getting a redshirt season for Demry? On the asinine scale, this is off the charts.

For better or worse, this is Tracy Claeys' team now, and I think he has shown he's going to do things his way. If that ruffles some feathers, so be it. Maybe a few upperclassmen will be ticked off to see themselves listed behind freshmen on the depth chart/position chart. Claeys has said all along he's going to play people who give the team the best chance to win. There is no reason to doubt that. Maybe - just maybe - some of the freshmen are just better than the upperclassmen at that position. What is the coach supposed to say: "sorry son - you're clearly the better player in practice, but I have to let the Juniors and Seniors play because they're older." That cr*p might fly in HS, but not at a D1 school - where the coach is on a short-term contract and working with a new AD who didn't hire him.

In the end, we'll see the result on the field. And, as others have said, the depth/position chart is likely to look a lot different in a couple of weeks as people come back from injury, or certain upperclassmen kick themselves in the butt and do what the coach expects.

Hmmm. I think someone else was touting the capabilities of a kid named Waters? Where's he?

I definitely touted him in the spring. He looked like a star. Can't recall hearing his name once this fall. Rallis is a great backup at LB so it's not really a knock for a rfr to be beaten out by a good Sr.

An interesting note is that both place holders are punters. Many coaches use a QB here, but our lack of older QBs may make that hard to do.

Most coaches use punters, so that means that MANY do not use QBs. That went away in the 1970s.

Exactly right. Claeys has basically 1 season to prove himself and he's going to play an inferior player? Because he cares about getting a redshirt season for Demry? On the asinine scale, this is off the charts.

That's pretty laughable.

Top Bottom