Recruit decommits after Michigan thanks him for attending an event he didn't attend

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The Michigan Wolverines lost a commitment from ESPN 300 defensive tackle Aubrey Solomon on Monday because of a mailing gaffe.

Solomon, a senior at Lee County High School in Leesburg, Georgia, told 247Sports.com that he was mailed a letter thanking him for attending Michigan's BBQ recruiting event. The only problem was that Solomon did not attend the event, which made him feel that he wasn't as big of a priority to the Michigan coaches as he thought.

"A day or two ago, they sent my mom a card thanking us for going to the Michigan BBQ, but we never went," Solomon told 247Sports.com. "I do not know which recruit they were talking to, but it was not me. It was just a little heartbreaking, for me to supposedly be so high on their list, for them to confuse me with someone else.

"Plus they spelled both of my names wrong after I told them, but that was not the main issue. I guess they do not have tabs on me."

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...higan-wolverines-thank-attending-event-attend

Go Gophers!!

I'm guessing a slumber party is in order here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send him a letter after double spell checking it ASAP.

It's probably not the sole reason he chose to decommit, but maybe was a sign of being the wrong fit for the program.

I had a similar experience when applying for college. Grew up in WI, thought for sure I was going to Madison for college. All my friends and their older siblings went there, so I applied, fully expecting to go there. They sent me a letter with my name spelled incorrectly and congratulated me on being accepted to the a program I didn't apply for. I was annoyed, but still went on a campus visit later that month. During the visit, they told us some staggering freshman dropout rate statistics, but they reassured us that the number of waiting-list applicants more than made up for those departures. As a pre-frosh, I read between the lines that they didn't care if I succeeded or not since they had a waiting-list replacement ready to take my spot. It all added up; I wanted nothing to do with WI.

I applied to the U of M at the same time "just to be safe" and thank God I did. Best decision I ever made. SKI U MAH!

Good for him. Recruiting is essentially a sales position. More or less, you have a team of 9 sales professionals managing a portfolio of what will end up as 25ish commits. Most sales professionals would kill for that kind of ratio. Getting the name wrong, especially for a guy who has already committed, is an unforgivable sin. Sending him a thank you note in error could probably be chalked up as an administrative gaffe, but was just icing on the cake for the flubs they already made.

He is going to commit to us now, isn't he?

That's kinda a dumb reason to decommit....

Completely disagree. He's had people from meatchicken show up and tell him that he is important to building the team, etc. He is a priority, etc. and then they don't even realize when/if he comes to visit?

You have to feel like you're just a number to them. I'd jet too.

I get to watch him play in person Friday night. I will walk down with a grammatically typed letter asking him to consider the Goohers!

I'm wondering if he was invited to the BBQ. If not, and then receives a note thanking him for being there... Well, I can see someone not feeling like part of the group.

My guess is a 20-year old intern sends out these letters. Not an excuse but I doubt it was a coach who mistakenly thought he was at the BBQ.

My guess is a 20-year old intern sends out these letters. Not an excuse but I doubt it was a coach who mistakenly thought he was at the BBQ.

I sure hope we offered. Good enough for Mich., good enough for the Gophers.

Completely disagree. He's had people from meatchicken show up and tell him that he is important to building the team, etc. He is a priority, etc. and then they don't even realize when/if he comes to visit?

You have to feel like you're just a number to them. I'd jet too.

Then, how is he going to feel when he gets his jersey with a number on it?

Top Bottom