Game #1. How to pronounce Oregon

beavergopher

Reaction score
It's Orr ah gun. Don't sound like Lou Holtz.
Twitter Reactions to Lou Holtz Calling the 2013 Sheraton Hawaii ...
Bleacher Report › articles › 1900910-twit...
Dec 24, 2013 - Not to take away from Oregon State's first-half thrashing of Boise State in a game that could turn into a shootout, ... A Christmas tradition like any other, hearing Lou Holtz say Or-a-g
Go Rodents!

Thank you! One of my pet peeves. There is a current person running for president that says Or-GONE. My dad also says it wrong.

I like to pronounce it like the instrument or body part. Organ. That really throws people off.

I'm going to go on saying Ore-a-gone as long as I live. Who cares if I do? I've never understood the irresistible urge on the part of Oregonians to correct that pronunciation. All the corrections just make me want to keep saying it wrong. ;)

I talk to people from Indiana all the time, and not one of them can say Minneapolis. It's always Minny-anapolis. I have never corrected anyone or been offended, not even once.

Not as bad as those who pronounce the 's' at the end of Illinois. That drives me nuts.

I used to live on Oregon Circle and when I gave my address out over the phone, if I pronounced Oregon correctly, the person taking down my address could never understand what I was saying so I got used to saying Or-E-Gawn instead. Then they always understood me.

It's Orr ah gun. Don't sound like Lou Holtz.
Twitter Reactions to Lou Holtz Calling the 2013 Sheraton Hawaii ...
Bleacher Report › articles › 1900910-twit...
Dec 24, 2013 - Not to take away from Oregon State's first-half thrashing of Boise State in a game that could turn into a shootout, ... A Christmas tradition like any other, hearing Lou Holtz say Or-a-g
Go Rodents!
I am a bit skeptical that it was always pronounced that way. I never heard it pronounced like that until the last 20 years or so myself.

My sister lives in Oregon. You'd best pronounce it Ore-a-gin or you're gonna get a whoopin'

Our own illustrious ex-mayor, Sharon Sayles Belton used to say "Mindeanapolips". She was also was very excited to see "Eric Clampson".

One of my classic jokes when I moved here is to respond with

Where did Orey go? Then I would get the look. And I would say you said Orey is Gone. Where did Orey go? It fixed a few once they learned they were saying it wrong.

My Grandma used to get hair pernaments in New Awlum and she too would rest on a davenport.

My brother from Seattle stopped me from saying "Ore-gone" years ago. But he could never stop Bush II from saying Nuke-YOU-Leer

Top Bottom