Green Bay Packers: Masthay vs. Mortell

Obviously hoping he wins the job. Loved him as a Gopher.

They should have a social media face off to determine the winner.

I wonder if the reaction will be like the Viking fan's to a 3rd string qb?

Not only am I cheering for Mortell, I am hoping that he gets the most opportunities to punt in the NFL...;)

And some on here don't think he was good at his job, so another plus for Vikings, Lions, and Bears fans.

And some on here don't think he was good at his job, so another plus for Vikings, Lions, and Bears fans.

We have high standards. One bad punt and you're a bad punter

This doesn't look as good today...

Mortell 2nd tweet.JPG

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Masthay was ranked 14th in net punting last year. Locke for the Vikings was 29th. I don't know why the Vikings didn't bring in someone like Mortell instead of Green Bay.

Mortell had a bad game against Michigan, he's not a bad punter, he just had poor timing as to when to have a bad game. Whether he sticks with the Packers, is an open question, but wouldn't surprise me, that he makes it somewhere.The one thing holding him back is consistent hang time.

Masthay was ranked 14th in net punting last year. Locke for the Vikings was 29th. I don't know why the Vikings didn't bring in someone like Mortell instead of Green Bay.

It baffles me how the Vikings just keep handing Locke the job. If he wasn't a 5th round pick I'm not sure he'd still be their punter.

And some on here think he was elite because he is funny on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It baffles me how the Vikings just keep handing Locke the job. If he wasn't a 5th round pick I'm not sure he'd still be their punter.
Because 5th round picks from years past are so valuable?

I'll gladly take his low line drive punts to Sherels every game. NFL teams will exploit Mortell's inconsistent punts. Hope he can figure it out and stick on a team though.

For the record, I'd love to see him try out for the vikes. Can't get much worse than we have now and Mortell may be able to improve his consistency indoors.

Mortell was a key to the Gophers for 3 years. His ability to flip the field, pin teams deep making them go 85 yards or more. Punting is so much more than yardage and hang time.

This doesn't look as good today...

View attachment 4387

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The wind at you back can knock down the punt before it reaches it's apex. Happens all the time in golf. I would not be surprised if his average hang time was over the nfl average of 4.44 seconds if he was punting into the wind.

Top Bottom