CBS: Candid Coaches: College basketball recruiting isn't getting any cleaner

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

FIVE QUOTES THAT STOOD OUT
"The cheating is worse. But I think the big-name coaches are less involved because they don't have to be involved anymore. They're always three steps removed from it. They just benefit from a system that's in place. I could tell you how this big-name school got this kid and how that big-name school got that kid. But I really don't think the coaches at those schools are throwing around cash. They're just letting a friendly agent or a shoe-company executive do the cheating for them."

"Cheating has become more sophisticated because of shoe companies and agents. I'm not sure how much cash in bags is being dropped off. But people are still getting taken care of. I think 99 percent of the top-tier prospects have agents and/or shoe companies involved."

"College coaches are aligned with AAU coaches or agents, and they work through them. And you know when some coaches get involved with prospects, it's not worth it to recruit them any longer because certain coaches will cheat or pull out all the stops to get a recruit. And agents and runners are connected to all the AAU programs in some fashion. ... It's a broken system."

"I'd say the cheating is about the same. It's just different now. But you're out in July. How many runners for agents did you see sitting in the parents' section at events? They're all over the place. They get their claws in the kids early, then they steer the kids to a school where they have a cozy relationship with the coach. That's how it's been for a while, and I think it'll basically be that way forever."

"I think now you have the sneaker companies and the AAU coaches wheeling and dealing, and the club coaches are getting paid to steer kids. Whether it's an agent or a shoe company behind it, somebody is paying somebody. It's been going on forever. Guys are making money off these kids and where they go to college."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

Go Gophers!!

Wish the guys we recruited had guys steering them towards us more often.

Sure, there can be lack of oversight and accountability for athletics at both the HS and college level, but at least the structure is in place to hold teams accountable. And the context of the games is representing an educational institution. Who holds AAU teams accountable? I know players benefit from better competition, but they often play more AAU games than HS games during a year. So handlers, agents and AAU coaches have the most influence over kids today, and it is all about the ball and has nothing to do with school. Maybe it's time to pull the plug on AAU.

Top Bottom